SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 08-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
ctbosox
ctbosox is on a distinguished road

Default No chime sounds

I tried doing the search, found some info for late models but want to ask anyway, leaving the headlights on when leaving the car, no chime, when opening the door with key in, no chime, after hitting delay door lock button, no chime. From doing a seach, I checked, dome light works, and button for rear defogger stays lit (although with no fog can't tell if working) Nothing listed in glove box book, nor in the Haynes manuel,,,,,, any suggestion on what to look for , its a 03 ion 2. If it helps, I've had the usual ignition parts changed at the dealer. I can live without the chime but not sure what else is effected along with it. thanks for any help.
ctbosox is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: No chime sounds

the speaker for the chime is behind the instrument panel. If this is bad, your blinkers will also make no sound.
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
ctbosox

thank you sir, had forgotton that lately, I haven't been sure if I was hearing the blinkers, thought maybe I had the radio up too loud, and as for this speaker, is this something I could chase out to fix/replace? This sounds exactly what is happening, thanks for present and future help,
Old 08-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about2006 ion2 has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-2 Sedan

unfortunately, you'll have to replace the instrument panel (which needs to be programed by saturn).

Here's how:
you need to have fingers and a metric nut driver. First you pull up on the panel around the shifter, then you pull on the two vents in the center to remove the center console trim. then you unbolt the center instrument panel cowl (it's kinda hidden under the mess of trim, but it's obvious if you look). then you pull the cowl straight up. then you need to unbolt the panel (there's three bolts).
Old 08-07-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
ctbosox

Well, rather then go to that length, I'll live with no dinging. I'm pretty much in the habit of checking the lights when I leave the vehicle, and for the rest that the ding reminds you, I can live with it. I appreciate your response and input to my problem, thanks a lot.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
the speaker for the chime is behind the instrument panel. If this is bad, your blinkers will also make no sound.
AHH.... don't listen to this non sense... there is a fuse actually labled chime in the fuse box. Check this first before you go throwing parts at it and doing unnecessary work that will more than likely cause you to mess something up...or in my case, lose little parts. That fuse blows all the time in cars.

Check this first and then let me know the results. They do have a tendency to go bad, yet they can also get blown by shorts. Normally the chime fuse also controls the memory for the time on the radio. But this is not the case in all cars. On a newer Ion, I'm not sure, but still check the fuse before tearing everything apart.
Saturnless...

Last edited by OnDaGround; 08-08-2008 at 09:23 AM.
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaGround View Post
AHH.... don't listen to this non sense... there is a fuse actually labled chime in the fuse box. Check this first before you go throwing parts at it and doing unnecessary work that will more than likely cause you to mess something up...or in my case, lose little parts. That fuse blows all the time in cars.

Check this first and then let me know the results. They do have a tendency to go bad, yet they can also get blown by shorts. Normally the chime fuse also controls the memory for the time on the radio. But this is not the case in all cars. On a newer Ion, I'm not sure, but still check the fuse before tearing everything apart.
AHH STOP WAIT dont listen to this arshole, there is no "chime" fuse on a 2.2l ion. Ask me how I know ..... I OWN ONE whereas he USED to and only has an s series and a miata. now there are two instrument panel fuses, one for the main panel and one for the odo display (once again, ask me how I know).
Old 08-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #8
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

miata? what???? I wish... make it turbo and what not with a little roll cage anyways... you mean to tell me that a Ion has no chime fuse... you might want to check the interior panel again....
Saturnless...
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 04:47 PM   #9
ctbosox

I'll do an easy fix if there is one, otherwise, its the second car in the house, I'll live with no chimes, some actually want to stop the ding, I'd rather have it but not to the extent of replacing the instrument panel. I've scanned through the owner's manuel a few times, slowly, can't find any fuse for the chime. I still do business with the dealer, one year left on other car warrenty, but dont want to go to that length, I appreciate all the help I've received. Next time I'm at the dealers, I'll ask the parts guy, they tell you everything.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:52 PM   #10
cg40
cg40 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
AHH STOP WAIT dont listen to this arshole, there is no "chime" fuse on a 2.2l ion. Ask me how I know ..... I OWN ONE whereas he USED to and only has an s series and a miata. now there are two instrument panel fuses, one for the main panel and one for the odo display (once again, ask me how I know).
My car is having the same problem. If those two instrument panel fuses are blown, I would assume the instrument panel wouldn't work at all? Just curious if replacing these two panels would fix the no-chimes issue.
cg40 is offline   Reply With Quote