SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 12-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #21
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Oscillating thudding Right Rear

Second Mechanic heard this sound & addressed everything to corroded brake drum, sticky parking brake, loose rear bumper as we found the rear bumper facade had been replaced early in life (not reported to carfax).

Entire rear was gone over tires looked at. We settled on a loose rear shock, I occasionally heard this hollow sound over the entire life of the vehicle on occasion especially on extremely cold days like a frozen shock, so replaced shocks, sound as this made logical sense. The noise is still there!

Giving this more thought, the noise may be radiating out of the center of the vehicle possibly not the right but definitely not out of the left side. The sound appears to emulate an ABS braking noise, though no breaking action required, The noise oscillation pattern very prevalent on a very smooth road appears between 25-28 MPH & the rhythm pattern will stop in the low 40 MPH & turn into an occasional hollow sound light thud..... like a loose shock.

So my new shock bad? The RR Bearing was replaced about 500 miles or a few months before it started, possibly something bad with the ABS circuitry attempting to kick in on a malfunctioned sending unit from the bearing, yet no ABS light? I also notice my low traction lamp does not come on with intentionally braking on ice, yet it WILL come on with Reverse selected.

This Vehicle always creaked & groaned, either heat shield, drums with rust, shook a bit at times at highway speeds, suspension noises, ect, never was a concern anywhere I took it unless the mechanics were attempting to replace everything & pad the bill.

Note: Shocks were shot, Mechanic cut the splash shields to install these, any concern for the future?, these shocks appeared to be a little larger in diameter, not sure why he did this, possibly for the speed of life. (??)
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2019, 06:25 PM   #22
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
Note: Shocks were shot, Mechanic cut the splash shields to install these, any concern for the future?, these shocks appeared to be a little larger in diameter, not sure why he did this, possibly for the speed of life. (??)
I'm sure he did it to save time off the book time called for. I'd find another shop that doesn't cut corners. Not sure how the shield is mounted but can imagine it now making noise and not shielding the body from salt spray and rain.
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 07:11 PM   #23
Bismarck318

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by atikovi View Post
I'm sure he did it to save time off the book time called for. I'd find another shop that doesn't cut corners. Not sure how the shield is mounted but can imagine it now making noise and not shielding the body from salt spray and rain.
That's not the source of the noise, nor would I think it would be,

... but my thoughts exactly. The shield (or skirt) is held in with those press in plastic rivets, at least he could had cut a flap to get at the bold or punched a hole in to get at the bolt, he took the entire long area covering the shock out of it. Correct on future salt spray, I did spray the undercarriage this year with Synthetic Transmission fluid, should had been doing that every year.

I could get a piece of plastic & make new a cover for it, considering the age of the vehicle I wasn't too concerned, but I would not want that done to my newer vehicles... which brings me to the point my Hyundai needs 11 nuts off to remove a splash shield just to change the oil.... & eventually a shop will snap the studs off with an impact wrench when they start rusting.... all about doing it Fassssster, Fasssster!

On the other hand he really seemed to attempt to attack this problem, though its still not fixed... but it did need shocks.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #24
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

All associated warning Lamps (Low Traction & ABS) appear to be functioning in start test mode. No low track warning on ice though. Wondering about a possible sensor going bad or sending incorrect signals on the bearing that had been replaced a bit before this all started.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #25
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Presuming you have awd, is the carrier bearing on the front to rear driveshaft intact?
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #26
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Presuming you have awd, is the carrier bearing on the front to rear driveshaft intact?
No, I purposely did NOT want an AWD as more to go wrong, more to break, & costlier to fix (I should put that on my Vehicle profile), though there looks like there is something missing (open bolt holes) in the center of the vehicle (ie where the rear end would be mounted, I assume they have a universal part of that area & AWD components added), I took note of this when spraying the undercarriage last month.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #27
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Revisiting this again it was found to have a loose rear bumper skin, drums were cleaned rest brakes adjusted. We settled it had to be an internally broken shock.... That wasn't it either.

Sounds like rhymathic thunder tumbling in the distance as I'm driving.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:57 PM   #28
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck318 View Post
Revisiting this again it was found to have a loose rear bumper skin, drums were cleaned rear brakes adjusted. We settled it had to be an internally broken shock.... That wasn't it either.

Sounds like rhythmic thunder tumbling in the distance as I'm driving.
Corrected Auto-correct corrections from above.

Getting to the point where it should be an easy diagnose, yet no one can find this. whatever loose appears to "tighten itself up" (or corrode itself back together) when sitting overnight, may take a turn or two to reappear.