SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 11-22-2019, 10:18 PM   #1
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2
Default No reverse after valve body replacement.

Just got done doing a valve body replacement on my son's 2001 Limited Edition SC2.

Two weeks ago it started with the reverse slam followed by harsh shifts in forward gears. Within a couple days it almost completely lost reverse. It would struggle in reverse on flat ground and not able to drive in reverse up the driveway or up hill. All signs pointed to a bad valve body.

Ordered the recommended valve body on eBay. Install went smoothly with no issues.

Did some driving around the neighborhood. After a few firms forward shifts accelerating from a stop, everything began to smooth out. Nice, smooth forward shifts that you can barely feel. Stopped on the side of the road to try reverse. Nothing. Won't even engage. Just sits there like it's in neutral. Its actually worse than it was prior to the valve body replacement.

I'm very open to suggestions to what my next step should be. I'm really bummed about this since it's my son's car. His first one. He just got his license and is now able to drive himself the last few months of his senior year. I wouldn't be as upset if it were my car. If I can't fix it, I may put the transmission from my 2000 SC2 in his car and just scrap mine. Luckily for now he can drive my mother's 2002 Tahoe.

Thank you.......
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2019, 01:27 AM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: No reverse after valve body replacement.

Loss of R is often due to a loosened ISN. That is caused by the VB but cannot be fixed by replacing the VB.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 12:52 PM   #3
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

Bill means that the input shaft nut might be loose. You might need a kit like this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-S-Se...UAAOSw9zxbTMYl

You can search on eBay for, "TAAT kit".
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quit fooling around with eBay unknowns.

Recommended valve body suppliers:
Contact Special Forces by PM here
Ken Partin here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-PARTIN-C...item2c80fd9280 Call him, don't just order a VB.
Or call these people (Donny IIRC) and mention Saturnfans: http://centralvalvebodies.com/

You have 3 choices and what they supply and what mods are used by each are slightly different as well is your cost. So depending on how long you want the VB to last is a consideration. As an estimate the OEM brand new VB should last 75,000 100,000 miles if the periodic filter and fluid changes are performed.

Central Valve bodies and buy the entire package of mods. These work and last.
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 04:36 PM   #5
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Quit fooling around with eBay unknowns.

Recommended valve body suppliers:
Contact Special Forces by PM here
Ken Partin here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/KEN-PARTIN-C...item2c80fd9280
That's the exact one I bought. I believe I followed a link you posted in one of your how tos.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR

Last edited by Low Saturn; 11-23-2019 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
Low Saturn

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

Pulled the end cover to take a look at the nut.

My discovery:

https://youtu.be/y7aISNGpR-Q
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR
Old 11-23-2019, 08:26 PM   #7
Mark_b
Mark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the roughMark_b is a jewel in the rough

1996 SC2
1999 SC2

That is exactly what you wanted to find. Tighten it up and you'll have reverse again.
Mark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:01 PM   #8
billr
Master Member
billr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to beholdbillr is a splendid one to behold

I only recommend Central Valve Bodies. Others (like Partin or Special Forces) don't do both the main Sonnax upgrades.
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:22 PM   #9
Low Saturn

2007 AURA XR
2001 SC2

We retorqued the input shaft nut and we have reverse back. There is some harsh shifting between fist and second gear now. But I'm hoping that's because of the new valve body and will start to smooth out. We'll eventually replace the nut if everything seems well over the next few days. The cover will need a new gasket too. I wasn't going to throw any more money at it if retorqing the nut didn't work. Not that it seems to have worked, we'll redo the repair with new parts.

Also worked on my Suburban this weekend. Replaced the oil pick up tube seal. They tend to crack over time, starving the engine of oil. Overall a pretty productive weekend.
Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2007 Saturn Aura XR