saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 04-28-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
DeMAN
Advanced Member
DeMAN is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default 98SC2 engine turns over but wont start

I had a similar issue like this monday. After trying several times It eventually started. I turned the key to the on position and pressed the gas pedal to the floor and held for about 10-20 second. Waited for about a minute then the car started. No issues until today. The car started up normally this morning but would not start at lunch. I tried the same thing, but it would not work. I smell gas, so I'm figuring that I'm getting gas to the engine.

Its time for a tuneup which I was planning this weekend, but could this really be an issue?

This is a first as we bought the the car new back in 95. The replacement engine has about 50k, and the replacement tranny has about 30k. The both came from a newer Saturn.

Thanks for any suggestion in advance,
DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL

Last edited by DeMAN; 04-28-2010 at 05:38 PM.
DeMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
DeMAN
Advanced Member

1995 SC2
Default Re: 98SC2 engine turns over but wont start

Please read the first post, along with this.

This car is driven 110 miles round trip daily at least 3-5 times a week every week unless i'm on vacation. 108 of the 110 miles are highway, freeway miles.
DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL
Old 04-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Getting gas to the engine (smelling it) and it turns over but won't start is usually a failed crank position sensor (CPS). Try a spark test; remove the coil wires, after noting firing order, and have someone crank the engine while you observe for spark. No spark usually means a failed cps. The ignition module is a distant second. The cps is above and behind the starter, mounted with one 10mm bolt. Buy it from any auto store stocking it.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL

Along with the CPS; can I also suggest that maybe the starter may be a possibility here too?

If you replace the CPS and you still have issues, get under the car and whack the starter a few times with a rubber mallet. If the car starts UP with no issue, then this would be a clear test sign that the starter solenoid is suspect to being bad.

When you had the engine put in, did they put newer accessory parts in (like a new starter, etc.)?

Just a thought for something else to consider if you replace the CPS and still have issues after spark plug and coil pack testing, etc.
Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
DeMAN
Advanced Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2NDSOUT View Post
Along with the CPS; can I also suggest that maybe the starter may be a possibility here too?

If you replace the CPS and you still have issues, get under the car and whack the starter a few times with a rubber mallet. If the car starts UP with no issue, then this would be a clear test sign that the starter solenoid is suspect to being bad.

When you had the engine put in, did they put newer accessory parts in (like a new starter, etc.)?

Just a thought for something else to consider if you replace the CPS and still have issues after spark plug and coil pack testing, etc.
No, the starter was replaced years ago on the original engine, and the EGR valve failed years ago. The motor mount, spark plug wires, and ECTS were replaced along with belt. Everthing else is oem parts.
DeMAN

95 SC2
97 Grand Prix GTP
06 Acura TL