SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 12:16 AM   #1
N2orocks
N2orocks is on a distinguished road

Default ILLEGALS IN TUCSON

I couldn't make it to the Real drag races last night so I was cruising down Speedway Blvd, Tucson AZ and saw like 30 imports lined up in a parking lot. I saw a friend and pulled over. Speedway BLVD. on a friday/saturday night is insane. Everybody is out imports/ old-school domestics, hotrods, motorcycles. You name it and it's there there. Any way, Shortly after I pulled in to the parking lot a rumor spread like wild fire and everybody jumped into their cars and started to roll; ILLEGAL DRAG RACES. I followed and about 30 minutes later, outside of the city limits, there was a mile stretch of lighted roadway; 2lanes with a turn lane in the middle. I parked off the roadway in a gravel lot and there were already like 40 cars. A few minuted later the racing began. For the next 2.5 hours there was uninterupted dangerous fun. Only like 5 cars passing-by in 2.5hours and no cops. I'm usually into safe/legal/sanctioned races but this was intense. There were the usual Hondas/acuras but there were some standout cars: Right side driver toyota SOARER, Mazda RX7 twin Turbo with nitrous, New Camaro SS with nitrous... But I was the only Saturn there. Talk about adrenalin. This chick in a honda accord 4dr asked if I wanted to race and my testosteron got the best of me. We lined up and the starter dropped her arms and we were off. Halfway I had a 2 car lead but then she began TRUCKIN' She beat me by a fender length. SHE had to resort to the nitrous. Later I raced a GTI VR6 with bolt ons. From the start I was a fender length ahead of him until I hit 4th gear and he slowly began to gain. He won by 1/2 car length. Not bad for a 2.0liter Saturn. So I spent this morning confused what to do since I had gotten spanked by a chick in a honda (i didn't know what was more embaressing the Honda or the chick) So I spent this after noon hooking my nitrous back up. I lost a jet for 50shot so I'm going out tonight with 35hp shot. Ought to be enough to spank those two fast cars. I tested the 35shot this evening and the car pulled harder than it did with stock motor and 50shot. This is the last night I'm going to participate in the illegals but they sure are fun to watch. Ican't believe no cops showed up. I though I'd share that with you; please save me the comments about the dangers of street racing as I am well aware of the grave dangers. Any of you been to the illegals in your town? I hear pheonix has tons of them. Later tom
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2001, 12:40 AM   #2
JasonD
JasonD is on a distinguished road

You bad person you. Damn you for wanting to use the horsepower you have. Um, yeah, you are going to hell.

Ok, I am not good at lying. I want a car with power, not so I can put others at risk, but if the only people at risk are the ones racing, I say GO FOR IT!! KICK THEIR ARSES MAN!!! WHOOOOP!!!!! Its an Agg thing baby!

Jason
Old 03-04-2001, 01:30 AM   #3
Jeff-Snyder
Jeff-Snyder is on a distinguished road

wow sounds like a rush
yes it can de dangerous but sence its on a pretty much dead road with no traffic at least the only people in danger are the people racing
Old 03-04-2001, 02:24 AM   #4
SpeedPlayer 97sl2
SpeedPlayer 97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2002 SC2

There are quite a lot of illegal drag races here in California, too...especially in southern California near L.A. I've never been to one before, but I know a couple guys who have been to one to watch. Yes, it's dangerous. Yes, it's risky business. But, I guess it's better than racing in a crowded busy street. In this case, illegal as it may be, at least only the racers are at risk On busy public roads, however, people who aren't racing are at risk also. Either way, it's illegal...may as well make it "safer".
Old 03-04-2001, 02:52 AM   #5
avni_01SL2
avni_01SL2 is on a distinguished road

Not to be a downer but, just some perspective.

Some of you in the NY area mught remember this. It was in the 80s.

Going from Atlantic Beach to Long Beach is basically one main road that runs straight for about 2 miles. No residences right on the road, relatively deserted. Only thing there is this catering hall (The Sands at Atlantic Beach) which sits in a sea of parking lot. Road often used for racing.

Anyway, one night a Limo coming out of the Sands parking lot at about 1 AM gets broadsided by car going way too fast. Bride and Groom newleyweds inside the limo are killed.

So.....
Old 03-04-2001, 06:56 AM   #6
N2orocks
N2orocks is on a distinguished road

...Back in the 80's dude there's been plenty of bad accidents since then. Point of your story: Don't illegal drage race through and intersection. Yeah!
Old 03-04-2001, 10:09 AM   #7
joeybagodonuts

yes, drag racing is highly dangerous....but its sooo damn fun!
in miami, land of non -english speaking illegal immigrants i guess the last thing their worried about is drag racing cause saga bay was huge when i had my import tuning shop, maybe rob 92 sc remembers, this was in the late 80's early 90's when it was at its peak, well over 200+ cars every weekend, we raced what we brung (yeah, i know, brung aint a word, sheesh...) we raced turbo z's against turbo supras, hell we invented the import scene along with the west coast boys, i saw the first times when hondas were breaking the 11's, and then even the 10's. my car used to run 12.20's but had an incredible 0=60 time of apx 3.8 seconds, it had hookup just not alot of upper end torque and i wasnt juicing her.
our last import before retirng was called junkZZilla and she ran a 10.2 @ 129 built outta junk (maybe we should add junkyard wars to the categories?hmm)
i got a 69 chevy with a 396
fuelie heads and a hurst on the floor
she's waiting tonight down in the parking lot
outside the 7=11 store
me and my partners son we built her straight outta scratch
and he rides with me from town to town
only run for the money got no strings attached
we shut em up and then we shut em down...
anyone remeber the artist that wrote those words? hint, he's from jersey lol

Old 03-04-2001, 12:33 PM   #8
Yankeez01L30094SL2
Yankeez01L30094SL2 is on a distinguished road

Could it be our hometown boy Bruce? Hes still cruises our streets here in Freehold. Sometimes stopping into the bar and pizza places on main street and Jersey freeze near the horse track. He even bought my vol. fire dept here a new fire truck back in the early 90's. It was lettered "born to run". Route 9 is so congested with buisness now it is hard to even get stoplight to stoplight races now. But there are a growing number of modded import cars around now. Anyways thats my guess!
Old 03-04-2001, 12:54 PM   #9
joeybagodonuts

yes, that would be bruce, racing in the street, i think it was the darkness on the edge of town album, so your in freehold? i got family all around you, my uncles on perrineville rd in jamesberg and my dads in princeton.
good old jersey!

Old 03-04-2001, 05:57 PM   #10
saturnal1
saturnal1 is on a distinguished road

Yes, Illegals are bad, but I must admit that they are quite fun. As for Tucson, I can see safe street racing going on there. Outside of town there is NOTHING but flat, straight roads and saguaro cactaii. I was in Tucson in early January and storming up Mt. Lemmon on the Catalina highway was a blast! I'll probably be there again next year since my parents recently moved there. As for illegal street racing here in MN, I'd advise against it. Anywhere inside the metro area has too many people, police, and buildings and outstate is too far a drive and typically has crappy asphalt. Best bet here is actually going to one of the two dragstrips in the area.

Alex Plaster
97 SC2

P.S. Joey, I think the correct term is "run what ya brung" This term is frequently used at the rallycrosses I attend
Old 03-04-2001, 06:53 PM   #11
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Avni, do remember that story about the couple.

When I was a teenager in Long Island, worked midnights at the Shell on Long Beach Road. There was a strip then at least 5 miles long between Oceanside & Long Beach with absolutely no cross streets or driveways (this was the late '60's).

There were many races down there. In fact, one girl drove a blueprinted Vette with a front plate saying "if you can beat me, you can eat me". Many triers including one Nassau County Highway Patrol guy in a 66 Biscayne 396 - Powerglide. Nobody beat her.

Those were the days.
Old 03-04-2001, 06:58 PM   #12
joeybagodonuts

if you can beat me you can eat me! rotflmao! other great shirts of the 70's included...
injection is nice but i'd rather be blown,
keep ON the grass
wrap your ass in fiberglass,
GO FXCK YXXRSELF, (pick a vowel)
anyone want to keep the nostalgia going...?

Old 03-05-2001, 04:09 AM   #13
Whelan
Whelan is on a distinguished road

Well out here in the Northeast, there is not to many open spaces like AZ for draggin. WE have the lots full of imports at the beaches on Fri/Sat. nights and you see the hotrodders and md-life crisis Dodge Viper, Plymouth Prowlers out. The big blocks like to just cruise and let your engines be heard while the lawnmower exhaust crowd chills in the lots with some small V-8's. The only drags we do around here are light to light unless you are really lookin for someone. But it is al in good fun tryin to reach the next light and pass it out so the next person gets stuck. Plenty of po-po's to look out for thats why you have your passenger. My friend has his '83 Mustang tuned to 302ci just over 300HP. It is really nice, the car is a T-top and we go up to Berlin, CT if you have heard of it to do the big longer drags. Lots of good cars up there Stangs with Superchargers. I once saw a Mustang Rouche up there spank the #### out of some wise ass kid with his Accord V-6 (the two door coupe ones) Man that was a fast car (the stang). But trust me as a passenger. You hit the light, look across, line up, give the look, I sometimes jump out of the car to pour some bleach on the tires for effect, the light goes green you dump the clutch and take off, what a RUSH!!!
Old 03-05-2001, 03:52 PM   #14
avni_01SL2
avni_01SL2 is on a distinguished road

What does Bleach on the tires do?
Old 03-07-2001, 10:15 AM   #15
joeybagodonuts

what does bleach do? not a damn thing on street tires, its used at drag races to heat the drag slciks up by burning out in it, street tires actually have worse adhersion when spun in bleach and its strictly for show, on drag slicks it helps, thats it.

Closed Thread