SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion

Old 03-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #1
sparksals
sparksals is on a distinguished road

Default Time to Sell my SL1

I have a 99 SL1 that I absolutely love. It only as 48K miles on it. Yes, you read that right. I bought it and a few months later, went overseas for only one year that turned into 4. I am now a housewife and don't drive all that much except for daily errands etc.

While I love my Saturn and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, I worry if something serious goes wrong with it, parts will not be available and I will be stuck with an unsellable car. I figure get some money out of it while I can.

Husband and I went shopping for cars yesterday and the dealership said they would take it in trade, but I expect I won't get much for it. I thought I would do better trying to sell it on my own. He told me they wouldn't be able to sell it on their lot, but on one of those wholesale lots where people with poor credit go.

I saw the bonehead thread, and I am trying to prevent being profiled in there (lol).

I went to a few websites to get an idea of what I can ask for it, but I just have no experience in something like this. Hence why I came here.

I live in Minnesota, the car is originally from Canada, so the speedometer and odometer are in KM, with MPH in smaller numbering. I figure I could try selling it to a parent wanting a good, safe car for their HS or college bound kid.

So, where do I start? I am really sad to have to get rid of this car. I'm sure it has lots of life left in it. The age and the longer Saturn has been defunct, the more I worry about a shortage of parts. I have maintained it, and the only things I had to replace were tires, battery and general inexpensive maintenance. This car has cost me very little money in repairs over the years.
sparksals is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2012, 10:11 PM   #2
Midnight13
Midnight13 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Time to Sell my SL1

Why look at new cars, when you pretty much have one already!!! The way these S-series last as seen here by alot of members, you would definitely have many years left with this car.

You can still find almost every part you need, be it ebay,craigslist, junkyards, or a forum with countless number of s-series enthusiasts.

What are you really worried about that your afraid you won't be able to find???

You really want a new vehicle payment and don't want your Saturn..this is the Kelley Blue Book link for your car and it's mileage.

http://www.kbb.com/saturn/s-series/1...=private-party

Depending what proof of service records,and if it's in as excellent condition as you say it is, start at $3400, and don't budge more than a couple hundred.

Myself, I have 149K miles on mine. In the past 5 1/2 years, I replaced a battery, an o2 sensor, thermometer,ects, battery cables and normal maintenance stuff, i believe one tie rod, brakes a couple times, and tires. Most stuff you can get at your local autozone! Getting a new car doesn't mean you won't have to replace normal things like those on it anyways.

I still say keep the Saturn and drive it to the ground, all the while saving for a new car..which would be at least 10 years if all you do is local errands,lol
"Not for human consumption!" - Peas in the Pod

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Peas-in-a-Pod/160649663950771
Midnight13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
sparksals

Thanks for that KBB valuation! Huge help! I had no idea I could get so much for it.

I really don't want to get rid of it, but age and comfort (both mine) are factors here. I would like a roomier car. We have two dogs, two crates and while the gas mileage is awesome, room is a factor. My husband's vehicle is a Ford F150, so the opposite extreme of gas mileage. I just need more space. I have a small business and it would be much easier. I also don't want to spend time searching for illusive parts. If the car needs fixing, I just want to be able to take it to the shop and get it fixed, no worries of obsolete equipment.

I am worried if I need something major, say a tranny, that I won't be able to find it and then I will have a car with zero value and unable to sell. If I can get $3K for it now, I'd rather do that and apply it to a vehicle more suited to my current lifestyle. Looking at a Hyundai Crossover - either Santa Fe or Tucson. I hear Hyundai owners are very loyal, much like Saturn people.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
SC2BuzzBomb
SC2BuzzBomb is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksals View Post
Thanks for that KBB valuation! Huge help! I had no idea I could get so much for it.

I really don't want to get rid of it, but age and comfort (both mine) are factors here. I would like a roomier car. We have two dogs, two crates and while the gas mileage is awesome, room is a factor. My husband's vehicle is a Ford F150, so the opposite extreme of gas mileage. I just need more space. I have a small business and it would be much easier. I also don't want to spend time searching for illusive parts. If the car needs fixing, I just want to be able to take it to the shop and get it fixed, no worries of obsolete equipment.

I am worried if I need something major, say a tranny, that I won't be able to find it and then I will have a car with zero value and unable to sell. If I can get $3K for it now, I'd rather do that and apply it to a vehicle more suited to my current lifestyle. Looking at a Hyundai Crossover - either Santa Fe or Tucson. I hear Hyundai owners are very loyal, much like Saturn people.
Many people simply outgrow Saturn S-series cars, much like you have. You should be able to get $3K out of it on a private sale and then you'll be able to buy the SUV you desire. Automobile design and performance has come a long way since 1999, so you may give up some fuel economy but will pickup a much better vehicle overrall.
SC2BuzzBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
sparksals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2BuzzBomb View Post
Many people simply outgrow Saturn S-series cars, much like you have. You should be able to get $3K out of it on a private sale and then you'll be able to buy the SUV you desire. Automobile design and performance has come a long way since 1999, so you may give up some fuel economy but will pickup a much better vehicle overrall.
Considering it took me 13 years to outgrow it, I think I did pretty good! lol

Thanks so much for the info. I had no idea I could get so much for this age of a vehicle. If I get this ballpark, it will make a big difference in the new car payment... which I have never had before. lol
Old 03-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
Tethys
Advanced Member
Tethys is on a distinguished road

The reason sparksals would get such a resale value on her car is due more to its lack of mileage than its age.

Sideup must have meant the Ion, which shared some parts with some other GM vehicles during the 2000s, when he or she replied. The S-series was a unique car, built at a time when it shared very few parts with any other GM vehicle (the rearview mirror was one). Since so many S-series were made and so many still exist, Sideup is correct that finding parts for them isn't an issue; junkyards or parts stores are two ways.

Besides the Kelley Blue Book, the North American Auto Dealers Assn. and Edmunds also offer trade-in values for used vehicles:

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/Research-Center

http://www.edmunds.com/used-cars/

By the way, have you considered looking at a used Chevy HHR Panel Van? The HHR rode on the same platform as the Ion and used the same base engine. The panel version was geared (pardon the pun) for small business owners - no back seat, sliding door like a minivan and a flat cargo floor. The only down side is that the center and rear-most side windows are filled in with painted metal, restricting visibility.

http://www.chevrolet.com/hhr-panel/

Good luck with your decision.
2015 Buick Verano Turbo
5 - 2006 Ion 3 Sedan, Manual, Storm Grey
4 - 2004 Ion 2 Sedan, Manual, Electric Blue
3 - 1996 SL2 Manual, Medium Red
2 - 1991 SL1 Manual, White
1 - 1991 SL Manual, Grey
Tethys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
sideup66
sideup66 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Not an S owner BUT I will say you wont have the trouble of service on that car. The reason being gm used some pretty generic parts in the Saturn S, which was shared with many other GM platforms. Therefore, parts are plenty abundant. Also, if a mechanic needs parts, all he has to do is toss a rock in a scrapyard. He will hit an S series probably. So no worries on parts
sideup66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
sparksals

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideup66 View Post
Not an S owner BUT I will say you wont have the trouble of service on that car. The reason being gm used some pretty generic parts in the Saturn S, which was shared with many other GM platforms. Therefore, parts are plenty abundant. Also, if a mechanic needs parts, all he has to do is toss a rock in a scrapyard. He will hit an S series probably. So no worries on parts
That makes me feel better if I were to keep it. Someone told me a few months ago she had a Saturn SL1 and they couldn't find the part so she couldn't sell it. Maybe she was full of it. lol