SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2019, 12:05 PM   #1
Silverblu02SL2
Silverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2
Default rear creaking noise when braking

While at a stop light, if I let the car roll a foot or 2, then step on the brakes, then let off the brakes, then step on the brakes again at a 1 hertz rate. I hear a pretty loud creaking noise.

The car has only 63k original miles but when I bled the brakes 2 weeks ago, I noticed a lot of rust on the suspension.

I have not crawled under to investigate yet. Any guess as to what is making the noise? Can someone please post a link to the FSM rear suspension diagram?
fdryer?

1/28/2019 2002 SL2 w 62k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silverblu02SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silverblu02SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silverblu02SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: rear creaking noise when braking

I think post 4 has bumpdraft's picture but I cant see it because the site is blocked at work
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184941

Should be some pics here (hunt4steve) but again, I cant see them
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203651

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co...24ZZ07-001.JPG

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

It's likely the shoes just need to be lubricated where they slide on the backing plate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
Silverblu02SL2
Silverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the roughSilverblu02SL2 is a jewel in the rough

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
It's likely the shoes just need to be lubricated where they slide on the backing plate.
I'll have to take the drum off to check that out. Do you have the FSM chapter on taking the drum off? I think I have to retract the shoes first by turning a star wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Silverblu02SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-14-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
Silverblu02SL2

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I think post 4 has bumpdraft's picture but I cant see it because the site is blocked at work
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184941

Should be some pics here (hunt4steve) but again, I cant see them
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=203651

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co...24ZZ07-001.JPG

Thanks! diagram from wholesalegmpartsonline.com is great! I notice many suspension parts are no longer available!

Gotta say Saturn must have used cheap metallurgy in building their cars. The knuckles on my 92 VW Jetta and 83 Mercedes 300 D has a lot less rust than my 02 Saturn SL2!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2019, 11:39 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The FSM literally says release parking brake, remove wheel, then remove drum.

The access hole for the wheel was designed by a dyslexic, it's on the wrong side of the axle center-line on both sides (so the normal tools don't reach it). I don't remember off the top of my head which side spins which way to tighten/loosen the shoes, you may have to experiment with it (spin it a few times, if the wheel doesn't spin that was the wrong direction...when you're done you want it to stop the wheel after 2-3 full turns).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote