SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech

Old 04-03-2020, 04:42 PM   #1
Northerner
Northerner is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
Idea ABS&TC lights on my dash...pplease help

Will respond in more detail later so I can type (iI'm on my phone right now), and I've seen several threads here...bbut in general I think I'm going to replace the ABS sensors on my Vue. Question:

I have a 2.2l front wheel drive only 2004 MANUAL (sstick shift) Vue. Which wheels on this model have ABS sensors? Just the front two, or the rears, too?
Northerner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #2
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: ABS&TC lights on my dash...pplease help

Best bet is to get the codes pulled before replacing parts. One failed sensor or wiring will stop the ABS and traction control from working. Your Vue has 4 wheel speed sensors, in each hub, that are individually replaceable. Once you have the codes, you will know which wheel or wheels are causing the issue. Then you can inspect/clean the sensors and reluctor teeth, connector plugs and wiring harnesses and repair as necessary.
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

Here is what I wanted to type. Try to make this as short as possible.

Needed a tow last december.

Tow truck guy towed me home about 4 miles on highway but LEFT THE EMERGENCY BRAKE ON!!! (this was a tow where he jacked up my front two wheels and left the back two on the road)

Within a week the ABS and TC lights on dash started popping on. They went away after a while for almost all Winter.

Now they are back on and aren't going away. The ABS clearly is engaging more frequently with very light braking.

I went to Oreilly and AutoZone yesterday neither could pull codes for these dash lights.

As I said before...I have a 2004 2.2L front wheel drive manual transmission Vue.

What should I do (anything short of bringing it to a shop)???

The threads I've read on this forum indicate it is a ABS sensor(s) that needs to be replaced?????
Old 04-04-2020, 09:47 AM   #4
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Since it was towed with the e-brake on, a rear sensor may have gotten overheated.
If the ABS/TCS lights were not on when the code reader was attached, there would be no codes to read.
I had a similar issue with my Aura. The ABS would engage intermittently. With my scanner I was able to graph the live readings from the 4 sensors. It showed that 1 of the sensors speed would spike up, ABS would activate and the lights would come on until the next ignition cycle when the ABS/TCS self test would pass and the lights would stay off until the bad sensor acted up again.
This video is for a 2008 but I imagine it's the same or similar procedure to get to the ABS sensor on the '04.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9RFtquihC8&t=904s
Old 04-04-2020, 11:39 AM   #5
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
Since it was towed with the e-brake on, a rear sensor may have gotten overheated.
If the ABS/TCS lights were not on when the code reader was attached, there would be no codes to read.
I had a similar issue with my Aura. The ABS would engage intermittently. With my scanner I was able to graph the live readings from the 4 sensors. It showed that 1 of the sensors speed would spike up, ABS would activate and the lights would come on until the next ignition cycle when the ABS/TCS self test would pass and the lights would stay off until the bad sensor acted up again.
This video is for a 2008 but I imagine it's the same or similar procedure to get to the ABS sensor on the '04.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9RFtquihC8&t=904s
We realized that. At first the Oreilly guy threw it on after the lights went off but I mentioned to him that maybe we should try running the diagnostic when the check-engine lights were on the dash...then I drove around the block to get the ABS and TC lights to go back on. He ran his code reader in both instances and got nothing.

He said a different diagnostic might pick a code up so he said I should try another diagnostic tool somewhere else.

But the part(s) are cheap if they're just the sensors. Just wondering if anyone knows for sure if I have front and rear ABS sensors or just front? Or rear?

I'll replace both sides if I have to - you can get two front or two rear for $16-22 (shipping included in that)..
Old 04-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #6
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Seems apparent that the code reader used was not ABS code capable.
Look under the rear of the vehicle for the ABS sensor wires. If they are there, you have 4 wheel ABS. Alternatively, go to gmpartsgiant.com and enter your serial number. Look up the abs parts to see if both front and rear are listed for your S/N.
It's possible that a bad wheel bearing could be the cause.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #7
bern
Advanced Member
bern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of lightbern is a glorious beacon of light

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

If the vehicle has an ABS light then it also has ABS brakes (4 wheel) Towing a Vue with 2 wheels turning and 2 wheels not turning will set a DTC. Make a note of each code set. Then just clear all DTCs in all modules. Diagnose the failing repeat current codes. A front wheel speed sensor code that sets at low speed and turning the steering wheel or turning the vehicle around a corner and / or driving though a driveway (uneven road) it is more like the wire harness from the body harness to the speed sensor is internally broke. (the harness will look perfectly good on the out side). The front speed sensor only is not likely the failing part. If you get a code for only 1 front wheel speed sensor on the front. Swap the left and right side harness with the other, replace the harness that has set code.
bern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
.....Needed a tow last december......Tow truck guy towed me home about 4 miles on highway but LEFT THE EMERGENCY BRAKE ON!!! (this was a tow where he jacked up my front two wheels and left the back two on the road).....Within a week the ABS and TC lights on dash started popping on. They went away after a while for almost all Winter. Now they are back on and aren't going away. The ABS clearly is engaging more frequently with very light braking.

I went to Oreilly and AutoZone yesterday neither could pull codes for these dash lights. ....
I agree with imaddicted2u about the tow truck forgetting to release the e-brake, allowing the rear brakes to heat up and quite possibly damaging one or both rear wheel abs sensors and/or wheel bearings from overheating.

Apparently not every O'Reilly or Autozone have readers capable of decoding abs error codes. However, several members have reported their A-z store read abs codes. If there are other A-z stores near you, it might help to call ahead and ask if their readers can decode abs errors. Please keep in mind, like the check engine light, the abs light might have to be ON before a reader (capable of reading abs codes) can decode them. If the abs light turns off then the error code(s) may not be stored for a reader to decode.

My guess is leaving the e-brake engaged led to overheating the rear brakes with abs sensors and wheel bearings absorbing excessive heating during the 4 mile tow. Best case scenario might be one or both rear abs sensors suffered damage. Worse case might be one or both rear wheel bearings overheated with lifetime grease hardened, destroying their lubricating abilities, ruining each bearing. It's your choice to attempt throwing parts at the car or wiser to try finding another A-z capable of decoding abs errors. Physically examining the rear brakes may reveal if they show signs of overheating, melted plastic, etc.
VCX NANO
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:36 PM   #9
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

Oriellys by me does has nicer code readers to use. One was Bosch. I went to garage last year and tech used expensive scanner and gave me code. Then I forgot which wheel it was. Duh.
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:18 AM   #10
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

I set this for email alerts and still not getting alerted for responses to this thread.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies.

It sounds like the prudent thing to do is to get to a ABS-capable diagnostic (wherever I need to find) in order to sort this thing out without just tossing time/money/parts at my truck.

Stupid tow driver! My Vue is MINT and high mileage...and never had any issues with it (aside from occasional replacement of part) until he allowed this to occur.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:51 PM   #11
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

Just got back from another Oreilly. Guy used his personal diagnostic tool and it indicated front right ABS.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #12
imaddicted2u

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner View Post
Just got back from another Oreilly. Guy used his personal diagnostic tool and it indicated front right ABS.
Good news. Nice to get it narrowed down.
Did you get the exact code?
Here is a video showing a front sensor replacement. Hopefully you don't have to mangle the dust shield.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukXrB6S5f30&t=214s

Did you check your junk mail to see if the notifications were being dumped in there.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:47 AM   #13
Northerner

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
Good news. Nice to get it narrowed down.
Did you get the exact code?
Here is a video showing a front sensor replacement. Hopefully you don't have to mangle the dust shield.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukXrB6S5f30&t=214s

Did you check your junk mail to see if the notifications were being dumped in there.
Thanks for the vid. I will check it out. Haven't checked my junk mail yet but I did get an alert for this latest response via email.