SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech

Old 04-04-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
Boca
Boca is on a distinguished road

Default Is there any HOPE for my lil Ion?

04 ion 3. Had the no start issue. Did everything forums recommended and it worked for a while….even cutting the white wire. Decided to give it to a “knowledgeable” mechanic with a tech II tool. He decided to replace the ecm and bcm…….after weeks of bs answers I got it back from him. I thought I would start from the beginning so I reinstalled the Original ecm and bcm. I thougt it would be just a matter of going thru the 30 minute passlock relearn. Panel lights when key is turned but passlock symbol goes away. Originally it stayed on for the 10 minutes. What do I do from here.?? Car is in great shape would hate to give up on it. If its hopeless I will part it out to recoup some of my $$
Boca is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2020, 11:24 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Is there any HOPE for my lil Ion?

Did this 'knowledgeable' mechanic replace the ecm and bcm or not? You'll have to verify them for two reasons. If he did replace one or both but still didn't fix the problem, you have no way to know if he used new or used parts. New parts are expensive and both require programming by GMs Tech II scantool. Dealers are usually the only ones possessing $$$$$ GM scantools with access to online services for any update. Independent repair shops and mobile techs may have Tech IIs too. Some diyers can afford one. When unknown parts are used and the problem remains, additional problems may complicate diagnosis. Now add strangers in a public forum. Some have knowledge, some don't and suggest solutions, a few are former Saturn techs, the rest are diyers.

I posted wiring diagrams in a Ion thread to help a member. If you can read wiring diagrams, explanations in the thread describe the starting circuit. Together, you might be able to troubleshoot this problem.

1- http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...+start+circuit

2- http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222473

Service manuals are the only way to diagnose electronic problems, sophisticated electronics the average repair shop aren't capable of diagnosing and troubleshooting without manuals. Better repair shops always stay abreast of technology by keeping up with advanced equipment.

There's a good chance your problems are electronic and second guessing by many are expensive when none fix a problem. Ecm and bcm replacement, in my opinion, are from those "throwing parts at the car" in hopes of fixing a problem beyond their capabilities. If they lied and neither ecm nor bcm was replaced, the same problem exists and hasn't changed. If this is the case then diagnosing and troubleshooting might be easier.

Describe again this problem. Is this a no start, dead silence problem without any sounds from the starter and motor or the starter cranks the engine but the engine won't fire up?
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote