SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #1
loly75ddl
loly75ddl is on a distinguished road

Default HELP!! My Saturn Won't Start...

Forgive me for being a dumb girl and this being my first post. I know very little about cars but am Smart other wise. I own a Satrun SL1 - 2002 - that is automatic. I am having problems starting it. It was working fine the other day - then it wouldn't start - I would turn the key and it would make a clicking noise. I thought it might be the battery - but My lights radio all turned on. I had the battery tested and they stated it was good. I had my Friend help me by giving me a jump (meaning she put her jumper cables on her battery and then connected them mine, She started her car, then I started Mine) Then the car ran fine, Once i got home I shut off the car and Tried, starting it again - Same clicking noises. We repeated the jump process and it seems as if this is the only way my car will start - I know Jumping the car is not good to do this all the time. Please Help!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to loly75ddl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help loly75ddl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
loly75ddl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2006, 10:39 AM   #2
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: HELP!! My Saturn Won't Start...

If jumping the car is working it's most likely you have dirty, or corroded battery terminals. The current of your battery alone isn't always engouh to start it, but more than double the output, and it works. Get a scouring pad, steel wool, S.O.S. pad, or something like that, and remove each wire that goes to the battery one at a time, and clean it. Clean the ones on the battery, at both ends, and on the starter if you can reach them. If that doesn't fix it, I'd say either the battery is bad regardless of the test, or the starter is bad.
P.S. Check around the positive (+, red) terminal for signs of leakage, it's rather common. And you're not a dumb girl, you're smart enough to know who to ask.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
loly75ddl
loly75ddl is on a distinguished road

Thank you I will try that and see how it goes. I also appreciate the Compliment on not being dumb. I just feel so helpless when it comes to cars!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to loly75ddl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help loly75ddl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
loly75ddl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 11:31 AM   #4
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by loly75ddl
Thank you I will try that and see how it goes. I also appreciate the Compliment on not being dumb. I just feel so helpless when it comes to cars!!
That's ok, I feel the same way when it comes to girls Cars are easy to understand. Good Luck!

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #5
slowroller
slowroller is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2000 SL1
Idea Re: HELP!! My Saturn Won't Start...

I would also go to an Autozone or some other and have them test your alternator when the car is running. Go there leave the car running or have them jump it it start it and then have them test the alternator while its still in the car if they can. It may have died and not be charging your battery while you are running. Also the ground on the starter may have failed but unlikely if you can jump it. Check the terminals and get the alternator checked. Also even though other things turn on they will not be as bright or as loud. Check to see if thats the case as well, but my thought is that the alternator is dead or dying. Go get it checked for free. Atleast rule it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to slowroller's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help slowroller reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
slowroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzzy
If jumping the car is working it's most likely you have dirty, or corroded battery terminals. The current of your battery alone isn't always engouh to start it, but more than double the output, and it works.
Actually, the reason jump-starting works in this case is that the current is flowing thru a different path. If jump-starting works, the two points you've bypassed are the where the two terminals connect to the battery. It basically shows that everything else in the path is most likely okay. So, as Uzzy said, unscrew and clean those connections. Just DON'T do the positive one while the negative one is connected. Do it in this order: disconnect the negative and clean both sides of the connection. Leave it off, disconnect the positive and clean both sides of the connection. Reconnect the positive, THEN reconnect the negative.
Quote:
And you're not a dumb girl, you're smart enough to know who to ask.
+1. You're esp. smarter than even a lot of our "veterans", in that you posted the pertinent info (year, model, tranny) at the TOP of your post.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
Uzzy
Master Member

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
Actually, the reason jump-starting works in this case is that the current is flowing thru a different path. If jump-starting works, the two points you've bypassed are the where the two terminals connect to the battery. It basically shows that everything else in the path is most likely okay.
That could be true too, more likely in fact. It's probably a leaky positive terminal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation