SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
mikebutkus
mikebutkus is on a distinguished road

Default '04 Vue 3.5 Honda trans shutter

During the winter, when driving some 14 mph on new snow/ice I felt a shutter for a few seconds. Figuring it was some ice I dismissed it. A few weeks later, I got the same shutter (2 or 4 seconds) when s l o w l y crusing at 12 - 14 mph. It doesn't do it all the time, just once a week or less. Car has 43K and fluid is to the mark and good looking. Accelerating is no problem, just crawling just before 2nd gear.

Anyone have this problem?
I can almost recreate it once in awhile so I might try bringing it in during the summer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikebutkus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikebutkus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikebutkus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #2
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: '04 Vue 3.5 Honda trans shutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebutkus
During the winter, when driving some 14 mph on new snow/ice I felt a shutter for a few seconds. Figuring it was some ice I dismissed it. A few weeks later, I got the same shutter (2 or 4 seconds) when s l o w l y crusing at 12 - 14 mph. It doesn't do it all the time, just once a week or less. Car has 43K and fluid is to the mark and good looking. Accelerating is no problem, just crawling just before 2nd gear.

Anyone have this problem?
I can almost recreate it once in awhile so I might try bringing it in during the summer.
If your transmission is having issues, delaying the visit to have it looked at will just make things worse. Better to attack something like that sooner rather than later. If it was my vehicle, I'd have the transmission fluid and filter changed first and see if that has any impact on the symptom you've noticed.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:13 AM   #3
burnout
Master Member
burnout is on a distinguished road

Probably just the transmission deciding whether to engine brake, let the engine idle, or lockup the torque converter. When the trans is confused at a low speed like that, mine sometimes shudders trying to figure out what I'm doing.

Your transmission is most likely fine, and working as it should. Still, your problem might be different from what I've encountered, so it is probably best for you to take it in if you're unsure.

'13 VW CC 2.0T
'99 Volvo S70 AWD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to burnout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help burnout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
burnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
stew32
stew32 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Mine will sometimes seem to behave strangely while I drive through multiple levels of parking garage at 5-15 MPH. Usually I put it in "L" to keep it from getting confused. Otherwise, it likes to shift between 1st and 2nd. Sometimes, it'll engage the hill descent or whatever it's called going down the ramps which feels strange when it's only active for a second or so.

Also, you said you were driving on snow/ice? Could it have been either traction control or AWD engaging? Or if your Vue isn't warmed up, it might not shift as well. If you think it's a problem, take it in. There might be an update to the transmission control unit or something. If you haven't changed the trans fluid, it might be a good time- others have posted about servicing every 20-30k even though the manual says longer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stew32's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stew32 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
stew32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
mikebutkus
mikebutkus is on a distinguished road

I bought a extended warranty (75K) from the dealer when I picked this up so I have 32K left. Not worried about doing anymore damage as it's one of those "can't duplicate" problems and happens so rarely. Will call them about it. With 43K on it, it's never done it before and may do it warm or cold. But for me to try to duplicate it is almost impossible, no less some mechanic. Don't want to change the trans fluid until they see it. They might drop the tran pan to look and change it for me.

Just wondering if it's a Honda trans thing, and of course just after the 36K standard warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mikebutkus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mikebutkus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mikebutkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 01:29 PM   #6
bobwill
bobwill is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-1 Sedan

I doubt that it's serious, I'd tend to agree with the other hypotheses, it's probably just the computer trying to figure out what to do. However, you should atleast mention it to a tech, the early Honda 3.5L+5-speed automatics were recalled for a tendancy to eat their own second gear. Your Vue should not have that problem; but, it doesn't hurt to mention it.

Bob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobwill is offline   Reply With Quote