SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
JOakes302
JOakes302 is on a distinguished road

Default Saturn won't start, please help!!!

Hey everyone, I'm new to the board and just recently got my 97 Saturn SL2. The car has worked great until now. I was replacing the factory radio with an aftermarket unit, and had pulled the panels off around the radio slot to install other components. After the install, the car wouldn't start. I can hear the fuel pump running, and the car tries to start, and it will randomly run for about a second or less. Also, a few days before the install, the coolant light was also flashing at random.
Just trying to think of anything that might help with the diagnosis. I've already checked all the fuses and they are good. I honestly don't know how to check the relays.

Also, it's an auto with 83K miles.

Thanks alot for your help in advance!

Jeff

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JOakes302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JOakes302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JOakes302 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
kanling
kanling is on a distinguished road

1994 SL
Default Re: Saturn won't start, please help!!!

You need to figure out if the problem is related to your audio installation or not. It sounds like you already had a problem developing. Maybe the audio installation is just coincidence, maybe not. I think you have to unplug all of the audio equip. and see if the problem goes away- the first step.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kanling's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kanling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kanling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 09:06 PM   #3
DarrylLeeOHS30
Advanced Member
DarrylLeeOHS30 is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2001 SL2

well just to let you know, 97's were a famous year for bad fuel pumps so that might have a small something to do with it. others may help out ... thats just something ive heard around here

also the coolant light-- there could be a problem with the ECTS-- a common thing that fails with all pre 2001 model saturns. It is a plastic tipped originally and the hot coolant will make it crack and fail. You should replace that with a dealer OR aftermarket part (which ever you can find with a brass piece) and let us know.

ECTS-- engine coolant temperature sensor

-Darryl

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarrylLeeOHS30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarrylLeeOHS30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DarrylLeeOHS30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 11:19 PM   #4
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
to install other components
If that included a power amp, and you sandwiched the connector at the battery terminal or ring terminal connector....THAT is most likely your problem.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote