SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2005, 12:13 AM   #1
Brendo613
Brendo613 will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2
Wrench Two-Horn Setup Help: '96 SW2, Relay Pins 85, 86, 87, 30 ...

Mighty confused! I bought two horns, a low F and a high A for an interesting major-triad harmonization . The old horn used to be able to be wiggled to make it work, but now it just doesn't work at all, despite constant 12VDC on the orange, constant ground on the right, and the proper ground appearance when the switch is depressed on the center wire.

If anybody knows, I would greatly appreciate knowing ...

• how to hook up the relay (pins 85, 86, 87, 30) to the fuse box
  • how to send that signal to horn one (as well as the second), and
  • how to integrate the switch.

I know that the relay should have positive in, negative in, switch in, and positive out, I believe, but which numbers are those hookups?

Please help, I don't feel safe not being able to warn somebody who doesn't see me, nor to warn the deer to get off of the shoulder of the road as they were today !

=Brendan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Brendo613's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Brendo613 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Brendo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2005, 08:50 AM   #2
Brendo613

1996 SW2
Happy Hmm

Looks like I found my answer to the pin / terminal problems:I still don't know where the 12v source will come from yet, nor how to get inside this relay / fuse box. I see how to take the cover off and read the fuses, but getting underneath it is the part I still need to figure out how to do.

Help for getting undnerneath the fuse / relay box?

=Brendan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Brendo613 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2005, 10:29 AM   #3
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default Re: Hmm

Carefully measure the leads heading to the saturn horn. The saturn horn has an integral relay, and, iirc, gets constant +12v with a switched ground.

Find the two wires that signal your saturn horn and hook them to the coil terminals of the relay. Whether its positive switched or ground switched doesn't really matter if you use both wires.

Run a 12 gauge wire from the + terminal at the head of the underhood fusebox (strut tower side) to the third relay terminal, and the fourth goes off to the horn(s). Ground the horn and you're done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2
Default Re: Hmm

You dont need to get under the fuse box to get a 12V+ source. Remove to cover of the fuse box go gain access to the fuses. Towards the top left hand side you'll see a 7mm bolt attaching a positive terminal that runs to the battery. This is where you can get your 12V+ source.

Now wire it to your relay like this.

Terminal 87: To 12V+ source.
Terminal 85: To ground trigger on stock horn (just tap into the wire at the horn connector)
Terminal 30: To positive wire on new horns
Terminal 86: Also to 12V+ source

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:31 PM   #5
Brendo613

1996 SW2
Idea All Righty

I've already measured the leads, so I know which ones give what power, so that's all set. I could just hook it all up like that, but I was wondering how to integrate the relay into the relay and fuse box, instead of just having it somewhere underneath the hood. With the relay plugged into the unused spot of the fuse / relay box, how do I hook up the wires underneath the box to the proper spots? That's the part I'm confused about, how to take apart the box.

Also, since I'm running two horns (both horns not being polarity conscious), I'm thinking of hooking them up in series: positive to terminal A of horn 1 and terminal A of horn 2, then terminal B of horn 1 and terminal B of horn 2 to ground.
Sound okay?

=Brendan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-09-2005, 02:02 PM   #6
Brendo613

1996 SW2
Default Fuses, too

Also, wiring as instructed two posts up, I won't be using the 10A fuse to protect the horn in case of a surge; that's another reason I want to incude the fuse / relay box with the new horn.

=Brendan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-09-2005, 02:10 PM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: All Righty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendo613
Also, since I'm running two horns (both horns not being polarity conscious), I'm thinking of hooking them up in series: positive to terminal A of horn 1 and terminal A of horn 2, then terminal B of horn 1 and terminal B of horn 2 to ground.
Sound okay?
I would recommend wiring them in parallel, but reading this again, I think that may be what you are describing.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 02:42 PM   #8
Brendo613

1996 SW2
Default Re: Two-Horn Setup Help: '96 SW2, Relay Pins 85, 86, 87, 30 ...

Yeah, I did mean parallel back there ... I started typing out series, but then realized that didn't really make sense, so I changed the end of the sentence but not the beginning.

I'll have to edit that

=Brendan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-09-2005, 03:26 PM   #9
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default Re: Two-Horn Setup Help: '96 SW2, Relay Pins 85, 86, 87, 30 ...

you're going to want more than 10 amps for the horn fuse

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 12:58 PM   #10
Brendo613

1996 SW2
Thumbs Up Toot toot

Well, horns work I soldered on those slide connectors, the crimping felt anemic. Physical connections never really thrill me when they could be soldered (even though that's physical, too ... eh, whatever). Interesting mix, now people will hear me and my horn will work. Yay for horns

=Brendan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!