SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2005, 10:55 AM   #1
JamesDator
JamesDator is on a distinguished road

Default 1995 Saturn SL2 Start Porblems- I NEED A SATURN EXPERT!

I have had a 1995 Saturn SL2 for a year and a half now. The car runs great, when it starts.

The first time the battery was replaced was October last year; the problem seemed fixed, then was replaced in January, we thought it could just be a bad battery.

It then died again in April, and my mechanic again put in another battery 'under warranty' this is a trustworthy guy at Goodyear who still claims there is nothing wrong with the alternator. I have also has the starter replaced last July. After all of this the battery died again in August at which time I took it to the dealer and they claimed I needed an alternator. My mechanic says it's not the alternator, and that it charges normally.

I thought it could be the electrical system, the car had an aftermarket stereo installed when I bought it, so I had it pulled out and a new one installed. It has been fine since then, but last night the car wouldn't turn over.

When the car's electrical system turns on the radio is fine, but the windows roll down very slowly. When I try to start the car there is a clicking, but little else.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JamesDator's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JamesDator reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JamesDator is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2005, 11:41 AM   #2
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: 1995 Saturn SL2 Start Porblems- I NEED A SATURN EXPERT!

Three batteries replaced in the span of a year, and the new one has died already 7 months later. And your starter is relatively new.

Replace the generator ("alternator"), and find a new mechanic that doesn't have an incentive to keep selling you batteries.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Razorbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
JamesDator

Every time he replaces the battery it has been free, its always been under their warranty... so he's losing money rather than just replacing the generator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help JamesDator reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2005, 11:48 AM   #4
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDator
Every time he replaces the battery it has been free, its always been under their warranty... so he's losing money rather than just replacing the generator.
You still need to replace the generator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2005, 11:55 AM   #5
JamesDator

Thanks for the help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2005, 12:06 PM   #6
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDator
Thanks for the help
You should get the generator tested, if you are in doubt. If your service technician can't test it or won't, then go to someone that can and will.

Saturn generators are known service items, requiring more frequent replacement than many people expect. The problem gets exacerbated when they attempt to recharge a bad battery. Bad batteries have killed many Saturn generators over the years, and you've already had three batteries replaced in a year. If your generator wasn't bad before, it's probably toast now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2005, 12:43 PM   #7
PeteB
Advanced Member
PeteB is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1994 SC2

From posts in the forum, alternators can fail starting at about 60,000 miles. Buy a high-quality replacement. I have had very good luck with Beck/Arnley alternators in a few cars, and would pick one of these over AC Delco. Higher-output replacements (105 amps vs. 85 amps stock) are available, and a good idea especially if you want to run a big stereo.

Also have a 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PeteB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PeteB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PeteB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 09:48 PM   #8
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

These alternators can seem to charge normally but are actually not. What happens is that the rectifying diodes go bad. When that happens you do not get the full charge from the system. The alt should produce 95-100 amps under full load. Unless your mechanic has a charging system tester that can check the diodes then they will not see a problem.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 10:16 PM   #9
bgsneeze
bgsneeze is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe
1997 SL2

there are several different diode designs and they all are slightly different in testing, also most alternators use two diodes today. If one diode goes bad/does not put out full current, then the other will provide the current to keep the car running. The charging system, with the alternator diode being bad, might not have the juice to keep the battery at full charge. i forget the type of diode arangment of the stock alternators, but on some you can move a plate or if you spin the thing to a point you can put a multimeters probes on some contacts to test the diodes.

You say you just passed 100,000 miles.....well I guess it is time to take off the training wheels!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgsneeze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgsneeze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgsneeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:51 AM   #10
peppermrj
Advanced Member
peppermrj is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Welcome to the forum. Pull the alternator, see the how to library for instuction thread. Most of the larger chains (autozone and advance) have a bench tester. If you live in Pgh. Pa. I know a very reputable alternator shop. Howard's generator in Lawrencville. He can test, repair, and even sells new high quality components.

The only other possibility is bad battery cables, but the alt. is much more likely. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to peppermrj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help peppermrj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
peppermrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 01:17 PM   #11
Blue2000SL1
Blue2000SL1 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Hmmm... 99,5XX miles on mine 2000 SL1 and no alternator probs yet. BTW, peppermjr, you ar from PA? Me too. NEPA here. COLD AS HELL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blue2000SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blue2000SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blue2000SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:21 PM   #12
adhhaahok
adhhaahok is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1993 SC2

when you start your car, that is the only time you use your battery (unless you are playing your stereo with your car off or something). when you car is running everything pulls off of the alternator, which on a saturn is called a generator. is your battery light on when you drive? it sounds like your battery is picking up the slack for you generator because your generator is bad. i would just undo the 2 bolts and 1 wire connected to the starter thats holding it on and take it to AutoZone or any other auto parts retailer and have them test it for free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adhhaahok's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adhhaahok reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adhhaahok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 03:50 PM   #13
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Actually NOPE.. Everyting always pulls off the BATTERY. The alternator is there to prevent the BATTERY from discharging. Saturns (like all modern vehicles) have ALTERNATORS not GENERATORS. I haven't seen a generator in a car since the early 1960's.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 04:02 PM   #14
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Actually GM still calls them generators, an electrically incorrect term since the only brushes are for the field current and there is infact an AC/DC conversion. They don't want to admit Chrysler invented the alternator and it was a better idea.

Don't believe me, read some genuine GM literature.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 10:25 PM   #15
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino
Actually GM still calls them generators, an electrically incorrect term since the only brushes are for the field current and there is infact an AC/DC conversion. They don't want to admit Chrysler invented the alternator and it was a better idea.

Don't believe me, read some genuine GM literature.
That's exactly why I referred to it as a generator ("alternator") in my first post. If you search through the index of Saturn's factory service manuals, you will never find the word "alternator", but you will find hundreds of references to the word "generator".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2005, 11:49 PM   #16
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Actually NOPE.. Everyting always pulls off the BATTERY. The alternator is there to prevent the BATTERY from discharging. Saturns (like all modern vehicles) have ALTERNATORS not GENERATORS. I haven't seen a generator in a car since the early 1960's.
Actually this brings up a question for me. This may be a bit off topic but I would like to hear from some other experienced persons on this.

Years ago, a "dirty" alternator test was to get the car started, disconnect the battery and see if the car continued to run or not. If it did, the alternator was working, supplying the necessary electrical energy to keep the car running. If it died, the alternator was dead.

After experiencing an electrical problem in the early years of my ownership experience with my then new 95 SL-2, I was discussing this with the lead tech at the dealership where I purchased it. He said that would not work on a Saturn as the car's system looked for the battery in the circuit and good alternator or not, the car would die. We then disconnected the battery on the car and guess what, it continued to run much at the techs surprise.

Some time later, my wife was driving her 93 SC-2 on the highway at night. It just out of nowhere, died. Just as if you had turned off the key. Nothing worked, no lights, no starter no nothing. I was behind her in my SL with a pair of jumper cables. With the cables hooked up from my car, her car would run but take them off and it died. I obtained a replacement battery, installed it and the car ran fine AND the alternator tested fine.

So with all that said, one car, the 93 SC-2 acted as the tech described, dead battery, or no battery, dead car. But my 95 would run with the battery disconnected, quite different than what the tech said.

I have seen other Saturns continue to run with the battery out of the circuit.
So the question is this, Do Saturns require the battery in the circuit for it to operate normally or not? Was the tech at the dealership right or is our 95 SL-2 an anomoly? What is the real answer about how the battery interacts in the electrical system for these cars?

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:28 AM   #17
Saturn Tech 847
Saturn Tech 847 is on a distinguished road

Ok, first off, it is a generator not an alternator, it uses whats called an L-terminal at the generator to send a feedback to the PCM to let the PCM know that its on. If you disconnect the positive side of the battery while its running it wil run forever (or until it runs out of gas) but if you disconnect the negative or both sides, it will run for about a minute until the left over magnitism in the vehicle frame and block runs out. Proper specs for the generator are at least 13.6 volts and 40 amps UNDER NO LOAD!!!! Proper specs under load are at least 11.5 volts and 80 amps. But if your battery keeps dying, there are only 3 possibilites. 1) A faulty generator 2) High resistance in the battery cable (very very very rare) or 3) a parasitic draw. Proper specs on an S-series is 12 milliamps or less. You also have to wait a least one minute to do a parasitic draw test properly after battery disconnection at the negative side, because you have to let the car "go to sleep"

Ken
ASE Master auto Technician
Saturn Fully certified Technician
14 years exp.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Tech 847's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Tech 847 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Tech 847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 11:07 AM   #18
wrenchtnr
wrenchtnr is on a distinguished road

1992 SL

Wow, This is something I haven't thought about before. I think Ken is on to something But with one minor correction. The battery is not suppling magnetism to the frame but rather an electrical ground (i.e. a source of electrons). The generator/alternator can create the voltage but not the electrons to make the current.
This suggests that if you removed the battery from the car and attached a large metal pole driven two feet into the ground to the frame/neg battery cable, as a grounding source, the engine may continue to run.

How does that sound?
John

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wrenchtnr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wrenchtnr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wrenchtnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 01:46 PM   #19
adhhaahok
adhhaahok is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1993 SC2

wow, all this over wether it is called a generator or an alternator. i hope there is never a discussion on wether or not the starter solenoid is attached to the starter or not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adhhaahok's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adhhaahok reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adhhaahok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 02:32 PM   #20
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

I'd theorize that there are a few degrees of generalternator rotation that don't produce any current, ac or dc. Direct current from the battery or somewhere is needed for the field electromagnet that keeps the alternator working. Also the "load" of the battery helps "eat" various voltage spikes that happen when the altgen is in its "sweet spot" of power production.

With the battery disconnected, some residual DC storage exists in the voltage-spike-eating capacitors in the radio, computer, and airbag controller. This is sometimes enough to backfeed and keep the alternator working during that 1/1000 second.

GM is BS'ing their techs that disconnecting the battery is not how one tests the alternator because they don't want huge unregulated voltage spikes roiling through the rest of the car's electrical system. Whether or not it's a valid test (please don't do it) GM doesn't need expensive stuff busted during warranty diagnostics.

Incidentally, you can't roll-start an alternator equipped car with a completely dead battery. Typically with a run-down batt there's enough current to energize the alt field coil which will then bring the alt online, generatign 14 volts, which then "wakes up" the rest of the car, fuel pump, ignition, and gets it going.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote