SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2005, 05:18 PM   #1
jeep4523
jeep4523 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1994 SL2
Default Damn

Well....for any of you that have never looked into doing head work....damn is all I gotta say.

I've only done 6.5 out of 8 exhaust ports as far as material removal goes, that's not even counting the stone grinding, sandpaper finishing and the cross buff mirror finish.

I can barely feel my right hand from the cramps, but it's coming along rather quickly. I started dis-assembling the head at 2:15pm, and at 4:00pm, this is what I have done:

Outline to show where to stop removing material on the exhaust side.

Same thing on the intake side, hardly any room for improvement without modifying the gasket. I'll worry about that kind of stuff on my next tear-down, which should include a custom manifold.

Side by side comparison on the exhaust side. Big difference, eh?

Here's the intake manifold I have almost finished.

Before

After. Oddly, There's a whole lot more material that can be removed from the intake manifold than the intake side of the head when compared to the gasket.

Also, bear in mind this is meant for a big boost application, I would NOT reccomend porting this much for an n/a application.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting that decision.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jeep4523's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jeep4523 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
TheSaturnKid
Master Member
TheSaturnKid is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Damn

make that plenum bigger!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheSaturnKid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheSaturnKid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:22 PM   #3
jeep4523

1997 SL2
1994 SL2

Waiting for the snap on guy to get my 6" shank carbide cutter, then I'll actually cut the top of the manifold off and work it over like that so I can see everywhere.

The next one will actually have only a portion of the runners being the re-used, everything else will be new.

But hey, being able to get to 1/2 of the runners as is isn't too shabby if I'd say so myself.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting that decision.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jeep4523 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:24 PM   #4
TheSaturnKid
Master Member
TheSaturnKid is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Not shabby at all!

You can make the plenum bigger by hacking up a WAI and moving the throttle body too.

If Iwere to do so, that is waht I would do.

Excuse my spelling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheSaturnKid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheSaturnKid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2005, 05:32 PM   #5
jeep4523

1997 SL2
1994 SL2

Nah, I'll do it right and increase the plenum itself with an aim for 6,800-7,000 RPM gains.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2005, 12:14 AM   #6
sc2dave
sc2dave is on a distinguished road

anyone have pics of a reworked plenum? so a bigger plenum = higher rpm power, and smaller plenum =lower rpm power?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 05:46 AM   #7
Tycho
Tycho is on a distinguished road

You are aware that 90 percent of flow gains are achieved by working the seat and bowl area.

Forced induction is rape.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tycho's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tycho reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 09:45 AM   #8
icu_runnin
icu_runnin is on a distinguished road

Hey Jeep can i ugh buy tmy head back? Yeah i decided that i am going to use it after all. Nice work man. Is that going to be your next item selling?

LandCruiser on 22's > the wifes

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to icu_runnin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help icu_runnin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 02:42 PM   #9
casper saint
casper saint is on a distinguished road

1993 SW2

why can't you port that much if youre not going turbo? Im rebuilding my engine increasing the compression ratio to either 10:1 or 10.5:1 and was planning on port and polishing the head can i do it that much and get away with it or would it just be better to do it a little. Its a sw2 with (unfortunetly) an automatic I plan on getting a full exhaust and a few other goodies I wonder if the engine could handle a shot of nos with a 10.5:1 ratio you think it would?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to casper saint's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help casper saint reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #10
LowSC2
LowSC2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
1991 SL2

That head looks familiar.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LowSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LowSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 06:55 PM   #11
jeep4523

1997 SL2
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tycho
You are aware that 90 percent of flow gains are achieved by working the seat and bowl area.

Just starting bud. I've actually worked over the bowl area already, and am going to start work on the combustion chamber and de-shrouding tonight if I'm lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icu_runnin
Hey Jeep can i ugh buy tmy head back? Yeah i decided that i am going to use it after all. Nice work man. Is that going to be your next item selling?

Actually...yours is toast bro. It fell off and hit the cement floor 3-4 feet below upside down, cracked a couple cam caps, bent bolts....just something I'm not going to risk. So I took a carbide bit and literally made connections between all the cylinders and the outside of it so you can't use it as a visual reminder to me, although I did plenty of practice on it :-)

I might sell them, not sure. Lotta labor involved in it, but still pretty cool to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper saint
why can't you port that much if youre not going turbo? Im rebuilding my engine increasing the compression ratio to either 10:1 or 10.5:1 and was planning on port and polishing the head can i do it that much and get away with it or would it just be better to do it a little. Its a sw2 with (unfortunetly) an automatic I plan on getting a full exhaust and a few other goodies I wonder if the engine could handle a shot of nos with a 10.5:1 ratio you think it would?

You "can" port it that much, but you won't see any bigger benefits. I'm planning on making over 360 at the wheels when it's all said in done, so I need this head to BREATH good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowSC2
That head looks familiar.

Only stayed that way for about 1/2 an hour or so, and then the work began! Thanks for saving my hide bro. We gotta swap phone numbers and keep up on each other's projects

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2005, 07:32 PM   #12
DominanceSDA
DominanceSDA is on a distinguished road

1992 SC2
1995 SC2

Fun isnt it? Take random breaks, thats what I do cause it is taxing on your wrist, hands and back.

Saturn Performance Parts and More:

www.StreetDesignAuto.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DominanceSDA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DominanceSDA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2005, 08:45 PM   #13
jeep4523

1997 SL2
1994 SL2

I take a break when I don't have enough air pressure...which is only during the polishing.

26 gallons @90 psi lasts for a while :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-22-2005, 04:18 PM   #14
sc2dave
sc2dave is on a distinguished road

anyone have pics of a reworked plenum? so a bigger plenum = higher rpm power, and smaller plenum =lower rpm power?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2005, 07:01 PM   #15
Vertigoomg
Vertigoomg is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Any pics on advise to rework specifically on a Saturn head, intake, ports, ect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vertigoomg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vertigoomg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-22-2005, 11:27 PM   #16
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc2dave

You mean these?

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52728

All I did was search for all the post started by jeep.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2005, 01:27 AM   #17
stanleyr
stanleyr is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Reworked plenum...

Hole was cut in the top to get to 1 and 2. Then it was carefully welded back in place and painted over. Clandestine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-0032ZR1.jpg (91.5 KB, 32 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to stanleyr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help stanleyr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!