SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2000, 02:09 PM   #1
Space-Boy '97SL2m
Space-Boy   '97SL2m is on a distinguished road

Default Intakes

Ive got a stock 97 SL2. I want to get an intake system but I have questions. I am wondering if there is a real noticible difference between the ceramic coated intakes vs the chrome? I know the ceramic coat is supposed to keep the incoming air cooler but does it? Is it really worth the extra money? Also the Ice-man claims to be the best 'cause it keeps the air ever cooler than the others but does it really make a noticible difference? I can see the advantages of using a material like that to protect from heat transfer, and the fact that they could elliminate inner air intake restrictions (that cause the air to swirl reducing efficiency) but I don't know if I like the plastic look over metal. Also I heard that the metal intakes make a "growling" sound that I think is really cool. So Saturn Fans with these upgrades please give me some input about likes or dislikes (if any) of these products if you have them. Just looking for input before I start to invest 'cause you know that upgrades can be expensive, and once you start you just can't stop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Space-Boy   '97SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Space-Boy '97SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2000, 03:18 PM   #2
Patrick_97SC2
Advanced Member
Patrick_97SC2 is on a distinguished road

I have the chrome Hotshot intake. I opted to go with that for a couple of reasons, 1) I didn't have enough to spend on the ceramic and 2) I like the shinny chrome lol
I know someone that has a Iceman on his 97sc2 and it does stay pretty cool. However, the OEM look doesn't do much for me. I can't really say weither or not it will give a real noticable difference between the two but whatever one you do decided to go with you will notice some gain over the stock intake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Patrick_97SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Patrick_97SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2000, 03:52 PM   #3
Jeff

Here's a point for you to ponder to put it in perspective. I'll assume you live somewhere that gets fairly cold in the winter (I'm in Maryland, so for me it's yes). For the past few months I've been getting the ultimate in cold air induction, 30 degree air, and my car doesn't feel any faster. If you can say the same thing, save your money and get the nice looking chrome intake.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jeff's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jeff reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 03-11-2000, 01:01 AM   #4
Space-Boy '97SL2m

Thanks guys for the input. I'll save some cash and go for chrome, I really like the look and as you said any of these upgrades will have gains over stock. It will be a couple of weeks before I can order one I can't wait! Peace everyone! Space-Boy!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Space-Boy '97SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2000, 12:04 PM   #5
Dave
Dave is on a distinguished road

Well, in case you check this in advance of your purchase there's a couple things to consider. Like anything else, neither are perfect they both have their own advantages and disadvantages...

Iceman Pros
-Plastic construction resists heat transfer.
-Highest-quality silicone couplers.
-Includes mounting bracket.
-Includes untapped fitting for NOS.
-Available in colors.

Iceman Cons
-Plastic construction looks (and sounds) cheap.
-Two-piece construction looks "goofy."
-Does not include pre-tapped fitting for Saturn air temp sensor.
-Poor installation instructions.

Powerstack Pros
-Optional ceramic coating resists heat transfer.
-Metal construction looks strong and "high-tech."
-Metal construction produces aggressive "growl" under throttle.
-One piece tubular construction looks clean and well-built.
-Includes fitting for Saturn air temp sensor.

Powerstack Cons
-Does not include mounting bracket.

Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2000, 03:39 PM   #6
cha0tic 97SC2
cha0tic 97SC2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2004 VUE Red Line

Lets keep in mind that Iceman and Hotshot are not the only intakes for your car.

I had to make the decision on the ceramic coated and non coated a few weeks back. After reading a post on the forums about how the air doesn't really sit long enough to warm up, the ceramic appears to just be a marketing gimic.

I however purchased neither the iceman nor hotshot. I ended up buying a Weapon*R Hyper intake and I love it. It comes in custom colors, it comes with their V2 filter which allows more air through. Another nice feature about the Weapon*R is the way their filter is designed, you can hook some hose right directly to the filter itself to get cold air from a different source (ie. wheel well etc.) They have a chrome one for $165. I also spent $24 on a matching Weapon*R Breather filter. Might be worth your while checking out.

http://www.weapon-r.com.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cha0tic 97SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cha0tic 97SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-22-2000, 02:46 AM   #7
Space-Boy '97SL2m

cool cha0tic thanks for the input. I haven't ordered the chrome yet but I will look into the weapon R's. Peace Everyone!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-25-2000, 10:05 PM   #8
Abe95SC2
Abe95SC2 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys! Don't forget that K&N also makes an induction kit. It is a basic install that adapts a HUGE K&N filter to the stock intake hose. It makes the "Growling" noise that everyone loves, doesn't bang around like the hotshot, it fits very well and the price is right (I paid $120 for mine.

Happy motoring!
Abe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Abe95SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Abe95SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-26-2000, 01:43 PM   #9
Dave
Dave is on a distinguished road

Where can I find more info on the Weapon R? If you're lookin for a bracket for the Powerstack, look to Sierra (http://www.sierraperformance.com/) or SPS (donet.com/~sps/).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2000, 04:28 PM   #10
cha0tic 97SC2
cha0tic 97SC2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2004 VUE Red Line

Dave,

As far as the Weapon*R goes, you'll have to goto their website. http://www.weapon-r.com, they are redesigning it now though. You can still access the old site still.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cha0tic 97SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cha0tic 97SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread