SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
datlas
datlas will become famous soon enough

Default Itís Back

Glad to see the system is back.

I hope this means spam going away too. One can hope.

Itís 18F out but my Saturn starts right up!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to datlas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help datlas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
datlas is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2020, 09:22 AM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Itís Back

16 here in Virginia's Blue Ridge

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #3
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Yay!

Glad to see it back up and running.

Thanx Charlie!

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

I get to bundle up a bit this morning. I lack the heavy outer clothing for 16 degrees so I am blessed that it is only 48 degrees outside.

Thank you for restoring this forum Charlie and hope all is well with you.

Saturn 1998 - SL2 automatic
Singer 1952 - 301A knee driven

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:32 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Either the site wet down from overwhelming spam inundating the server or Charlie reset the system.

As of 8:30am this morning, sadasfaf racked up 587 spams...............

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

a lot of what the "attack" they're using does is probably the one that fills up the sql tables w/ junk data.. kind of like a DDoS

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm inclined to agree. Observing spam not removed in the last two outages seems to tell me Charlie isn't resetting this site as much as the system is resetting on its own when not jammed with traffic. If he did, I would guess he would have spent time ridding spam.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:18 PM   #8
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

I think the last outage was the longest one yet. It went over 24 hours before coming back online.

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #9
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Yay!

Back in biz...

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2020, 01:43 PM   #10
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Just a reminder of how fragile our whole saturn fan network is tied together.
My thoughts these past days are that somehow the forum went off line for good and that I had somehow missed the untimely announcement.
Glad Charlie has us all back on - line again. Very glad.

Now, where were we ...... ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:24 PM   #11
datlas

Wow it was offline for a few more days.

Back again.

Anyone know whatís going on??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help datlas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-29-2020, 03:26 PM   #12
datlas

In Saturn news, I should hit 180K tomorrow!!

(1998 SL, original owner)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2020, 03:43 PM   #13
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
In Saturn news, I should hit 180K tomorrow!!

(1998 SL, original owner)
But how many on your car?

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2020, 04:02 PM   #14
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Wow it was offline for a few more days.

Back again.

Anyone know what’s going on??
I'm speculating it has something to do with this message from Dec 18th. Time will tell...

Quote:
Re: Spam

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry for my delayed response to the spam attacks. I'm on a project that's finally wrapping up and it's kept me from my normal routine. I like the idea of having you all help get rid of spam I have some ideas on how to implement that too. I'm upgrading the site to a new server in the next month, and I while I'm tinkering that's when I'll add the capability. I appreciate everyone's offer to help!!!

Thanks,
Charlie

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:00 PM   #15
NathanGa
NathanGa is on a distinguished road

I've been in a minor panic the last few days over the site being down. I picked up a new (to me) SL2 a few months ago and have been going through the usual fine-tuning, and suddenly I can't access any of the vast network of knowledge on here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NathanGa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NathanGa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NathanGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 09:22 AM   #16
datlas

^^

I hope that's true. Looks like the spam is gone, so I am cautiously optimistic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-31-2020, 10:13 AM   #17
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
^^

I hope that's true. Looks like the spam is gone, so I am cautiously optimistic.
Here's another message from Charlie

Quote:
Re: SPAM Contingency Plan Thread

I wanted to post a quick note to let you guys know that SaturnFans isn't being abandoned. The project that's been consuming an inordinate amount of my time is (finally, after multiple extensions!) coming to an end this week. Rest assured, the site isn't going anywhere!

I apologize for all the spam and downtime lately, I'll be working on both issues right away. Mitigating the spam and spam attacks on the server is a moving target, so you may still see them from time-to-time, but my goal is to institute some changes on the server to prevent them from being so disruptive. Please keep "reporting posts" whenever you see something! Thanks for your support and understanding!

SC2Sick: I would love to hear how you keep the spam issue at bay on your site. It is a challenge to always be one step ahead! It sounds like you may have cracked the code.

Charlie

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:21 AM   #18
datlas

Good news but system was down again earlier today.

I am hoping these are minor hiccups.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #19
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Big bonus - all the spam is gone!

Thanks Charlie.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!