SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
ilea
ilea is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
Default No start when very humid (acts like passlock is tripped)

2002 SL1

When it's very humid like after it rains my cars won't start. They act like the security has been tripped or the body computer is unplugged. When you first try to start it - it won't start, the gauges won't work, the chine won't sound and sometimes even the blower doesn't work.

What "fixes" it is sitting with the doors open doing the 10 min passlock relearn then once it starts it's fine.

I have two 02 SL1s. It's been happening to my real turd for awhile now but I thought it was just a thing cause this car has been used and abused but now my good sl1 is doing it and I'm stumped.

It is not the body computer or the pcm because both were replaced 3 times by 2 different GM dealers in the hopes of fixing the real turd which is why I ended up with it cause my friend was over getting stuck places in it.
The spark plug wires have been replaced and all the connections are clean and dry.
Neither has aftermarket radios.

Has this happened to any of ya'll? what fixed it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ilea's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ilea reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ilea is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2019, 01:03 PM   #2
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: No start when very humid (acts like passlock is tripped)

Never had it happen to me, but it sounds vaguely like an issue I remember reading about - someone in Hawaii?

I think the resolution involved checking that the connectors and grounds to the PCM and BCM were clean, tight, and dry.

I didn't see the thread but here is something from wolfman (Saturn tech - ton of contributions in the How To Library)
http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...ad.php?t=73283

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #3
ilea
ilea is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

Well I'm going to give that a go after I cook turkeymageddon dinner tomorrow. Sadly I won't know if it worked until it rains again. I'll report back though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ilea's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ilea reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ilea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 11:51 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Post Re: No start when very humid (acts like passlock is tripped)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilea View Post
2002 SL1... When you first try to start it - it won't start, the gauges won't work, the chine won't sound and sometimes even the blower doesn't work.....
With zero gauges, no chimes and dead blower, this suggests a main power problem; battery, battery cables, their connections and main grounds. Intermittent power issues have to be examined up close, physically disconnecting and examining for severe corrosion, damaged cables, etc. No matter what appearances show, unless you get hands dirty, this may be guessing at everything. You have nothing to lose since GM supposedly replaced pcm and bcm on your dime. Obviously they didn't fix anything but make money.

Either have the battery tested thoroughly by your favorite auto store selling batteries or prolong this mystery. With both battery cables disconnected, peel back the heavy insulation and inspect the crimped wires and terminals. Corrosion can hide under those side terminal covers. Two negative cables, one between battery negative and chassis and another between chassis and engine block. Examine them carefully for corrosion, loosen and retighten if necessary to ensure clean corrosion free mechanical and electrical connections. Dried battery acid leaves powdery residue mostly on battery positive but can hide under both cable terminals, eating away at copper wires to leave crimped connections loose with intermittent power issues unless examined carefully. Light to medium corrosion from battery acid is easily cleaned with a solution of water and baking soda. A toothbrush helps as baking soda/water dissolves and neutralizes battery acid without scraping. Water rinse. Appearances don't mean anything since you're having problems and no one is standing next to your car to examine it up close.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 02:32 AM   #5
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

FDryer +1
……………………….
I discovered some inconsistencies in ops of my 2000SW this summer.
To eliminate ground loops, I ran a connecting wire #10AWG with soldered eyelets between most of the harness grounds in the underhood region, and connected those with the InstrumentPanel grounds, and the ground on the crossbeam beneath the drivers seat.

That removed/rectified the noted inconsistencies.

There exists a harness ground to one of the 'H-bracket' supports for the IP junction box (beneath radio, where fuses/relays/connectors live).
On my car it attached to the driver's side support of the radio/heater-controls.
The screw thread is about 2mm; the bolt head <1/4". The screw was loose.
This loose ground caused (1) radio to occasionally turn Off, and (2) all the illumination of the heater controls to fail to light up.

I also opened and reseated the connectors to the BCM & PCM, and continued my ground-ring system to include the attachment of the accelerometer, by the handbrake lever. Since then, very impressive stability of the cabin&hood electrics.

The OEM/Helm FSM advises that the torque on the M6X1thread(M10head)
special plated screw securing the inboard side of the PCM to its support on the battery box, is CRITICAL. I cleaned the surface of the PCM mounting flange, and tightened the screw with my nutrunner (also on an extra eyelet connecting to my ground ring).

While on my '97SW the renewal of the IgSW was a great improvement,
on the 2000, the new switch (at 175kMi) did not make any difference....

I also examined/cleaned/re-assembled the forward/starboard underhood groundpack for headlights & AirInjectionPump.
If your vehicle driven in roadsalt conditions... maybe consider renewing those connections-- that is the only significant multiple-pin connector under the hood which is NOT protected from weather(not sealed)… and is exposed to airstream at forward aspect of right frame horn behind starboard headlamp assy. If I go near that again, each wire will get a soldered eyelet, and be directly attached to the grounding bolt [the existing connector was full of all sorts of corrosion byproducts].

On my '97 when no start & IP dead... cause always Loose Batt terminal(s).

Last edited by TomM96; 11-30-2019 at 02:36 AM.. Reason: error < vs > +fergat un

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote