SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
cpufreak101
cpufreak101 is on a distinguished road

Default adding Air Conditioning to a model without it?

so I got a complete steal of a deal on an '06 ion, it was one owner, garage kept, had full service history, etc. however, part of the reason for it being so cheap was that it was a complete base model, it doesn't even have air conditioning (yes, under the hood there's no compressor or anything) so I was wondering if anyone had any experience in adding A/C to one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cpufreak101's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cpufreak101 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cpufreak101 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2018, 09:10 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: adding Air Conditioning to a model without it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpufreak101 View Post
so I got a complete steal of a deal on an '06 ion, it was one owner, garage kept, had full service history, etc. however, part of the reason for it being so cheap was that it was a complete base model, it doesn't even have air conditioning (yes, under the hood there's no compressor or anything) so I was wondering if anyone had any experience in adding A/C to one?
I'm responding only because I don't think anyone on here has any experience doing this. I have not done this myself, but I can tell you that there is A LOT involved in doing so. You will need to install:

Compressor
Longer serpentine belt
Evaporator
Condenser
Thermal expansion valve
Climate control unit for A/C equipped car
Suction & discharge hoses
Hi/Low refrigerant pressure switches

And after all that, you will need to have the BCM and ECM recalibrated. I'm not trying to discourage you from doing so, but I want you to understand everything you will need to make it happen.

I didn't even mention the biggest obstacle yet, which is installing all the necessary wiring. Your car may already have the wiring provisions installed for the A/C components. If none of the wiring is there you'll have a lot more work to do.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 182K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 195K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 46K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
cpufreak101
cpufreak101 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
I'm responding only because I don't think anyone on here has any experience doing this. I have not done this myself, but I can tell you that there is A LOT involved in doing so. You will need to install:

Compressor
Longer serpentine belt
Evaporator
Condenser
Thermal expansion valve
Climate control unit for A/C equipped car
Suction & discharge hoses
Hi/Low refrigerant pressure switches

And after all that, you will need to have the BCM and ECM recalibrated. I'm not trying to discourage you from doing so, but I want you to understand everything you will need to make it happen.

I didn't even mention the biggest obstacle yet, which is installing all the necessary wiring. Your car may already have the wiring provisions installed for the A/C components. If none of the wiring is there you'll have a lot more work to do.
thanks for the reply, I was fearing computer stuff would be involved. at this point might try to put in a standalone kit (like the ones they make for vintage cars) as i know that'd at least work then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cpufreak101's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cpufreak101 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cpufreak101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:07 AM   #4
hudypete1
hudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the roughhudypete1 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2008 VUE 2.4L

Computer work might not be a real issue, but just might be $$$.

To reprogram a computer for my 2.4L 2007 Ion, the tech charged me $100. When they reflash it, they just right over everything there.

I would expect that it would be relatively simple to get the computer stuff done. Ask around at your local shops and see who they go to.

Peter

CURRENT:
08 Vue XE Black 2.4L
07 Ion 3 Savannah Green Metallic 2.4L
04 Ion 2 Berry Red 2.2

PREVIOUS:
99 SL2 Silver Plum
99 SL2 Dark Blue
95 SL2 Lilac Metallic
94 SW2 White

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hudypete1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hudypete1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hudypete1 is offline   Reply With Quote