SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2014, 07:51 PM   #1
rtfm17
rtfm17 is a jewel in the roughrtfm17 is a jewel in the roughrtfm17 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL1
2000 SL1
Default What is the next best car to a Saturn?

Hi all.

If you had to buy a new Saturn but couldn't, what car would you buy?
(That question is painful to type...But I need to ask...)

I thought I'd post on the Saturnfans forum because I've been a member for years. And I know everyone here is here for a reason. Lots of knowledgeable great people form whom I've garnered much invaluable advice.

I have a 99 SL1 @ 176k, owned since day one. Wife's car 2000 SL1 purchased at 30k yrs back, and I JUST bough a gem, an 02 SL2 with 43k.. I am keeping all 3 on the road, until the 99 or 02 has to be retired...And I just found out my job is moving +20 miles away... (ouch) I hate like heck to write this. Somehow I feel like I'm committing a 'bad post'...New Saturns aren't an option. And the days of finding low mileage Saturns is fast slipping into the past. Especially one that has not been exposed to the wonderful winters and road salt we have here in the northeast/NY.

(Don't get me wrong! I expect to have a Satty on the road for MANY more years to come. This forum + the FSM have been INVALUABLE over the years and will continue to be so for many to to come).

That said, I feel I LUCKED OUT w/ my 40k 2002SL2 find...

After a Saturn, which car is the next best in reliability, serviceability, support (in forums like this), last longest (think NY winters and road salt), etc??? In general-- If you had to buy a new Saturn but couldn't, what car would you buy?

I'm VERY curious to know what anyone thinks/is buying as their next 'Saturn' and why? Any posts would be greatly appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rtfm17's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rtfm17 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rtfm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2014, 04:38 PM   #2
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default Re: What is the next best car to a Saturn?

No question, I would buy Asian. However, we are looking at a taller car, our Saturns are too low for us these days. I am thinking Kia Soul or FWD Tucson. Small, reliable, simple, good gas mileage. Unfortunately, she wants A/T. I wanted a FWD VUE but low-mileage ones are gone.

I have a 97 SL I bought new, now at 171,000 miles and I love it.

The Asian car would replace her '02 L200 with 205,000 miles (also bought new). With its only non-routine repairs being rear suspension bushings, fuel pump, and (yesterday) a headlight bulb.

I lived in NE Ohio for 33 winters. The only way that I can see to keep a car in the snow belt is to put oil in it- such as around the wheel openings and in the rocker panels especially. However, I am no longer figuring out how to spray oil into small cavities because I live in the sun belt

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote