SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2001, 02:49 PM   #1
Spedi
Spedi is on a distinguished road

Default Poll: '01 4-cyl L: If you drive 1, please respond!

Hello All!

As I have previously posted, my 2001 LW200 (4 cyl. engine) is experiencing roughness when stopping at stop signs/lights without the A/C or defroster on. Specifically, as soon as the idle drops beneath 700, there is a noticeable increase in vibration & roughness (i.e., nearly enough to make my teeth begin to chatter).

The dealer has suggested that central Saturn Tech is aware of this problem and is working on a fix -- estimated development time of a few months. Saturn Customer Care confirms this. However, neither will comment as to whether other 2001 LW200 vehicles are experiencing the same thing. As a statistics & research junkie (and yes, I do get paid to do it) I am trying to gather some data as to how common & widespread the problem is.

If you own a 2001 4-cylinder L-series, please respond as to whether you have ever encountered the same rough idle problem. Also, please indicate your L-series model.

Thank you all in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spedi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spedi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2001, 03:54 PM   #2
Spork

I responded in the tech section on this.. But yes, same problem, is rare when it happens. 2000 LS 4Cyl.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 02-01-2001, 05:41 PM   #3
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Default Poll: '01 4-cyl L: If you drive 1, please

Ditto for me. Like Spork 2000 LS 4 cylinder. Also responded to other thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2001, 05:50 PM   #4
OPEC
OPEC is on a distinguished road

Default Poll: '01 4-cyl L:

I've seen this on more than one occasion. From what I understand Saturn corp is aware of the problem and trying to come up with a fix.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2001, 07:35 PM   #5
Spedi

Default OPEC, please respond!

OPEC,

In the cars you've seen or heard of, is the low idle an infrequent occurance or consistently low?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Spedi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2001, 07:47 PM   #6
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L

2000 LS1 automatic with 17,000 + miles It has never happened to me. I don't ever recall seeing the idle RPM's drop that low.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2001, 09:21 PM   #7
saturncanuck
saturncanuck is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Poll: '01 4-cyl L: If you drive 1

2001 L200 auto with spoiler

Love it! 2.2 is the second best motor Saturn has used

No stalling or idling or noise problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturncanuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-01-2001, 09:59 PM   #8
MikeT
MikeT is on a distinguished road

Default Poll: '01 4-cyl L: If you drive 1. . .

Just curious. . . if the 2.2 is the second best engine, what's the best?
There have only been 3 other engines: 1.9 sohc, 1.9 dohc, 3.0 V6.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2001, 04:00 AM   #9
OPEC
OPEC is on a distinguished road

Default Poll: '01 4-cyl L

Infrequent. I have seen it on a total of 2 L series cars. This is about 2 out of 100 or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2001, 11:10 AM   #10
Three Rings
Three Rings is on a distinguished road

Default Poll: '01

00 LS1, automatic, owned for 11 months, 13,000 miles. No idle problems ever. The engine/transmission combination is one of the best features of the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Three Rings's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Three Rings reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2001, 11:51 AM   #11
saturncanuck

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default :Poll: '01 4-cyl L: If you drive 1

Best is the 1.9 DOHC, the way it was intended. Smooth, good power, good reliability and great gas mileage

The 1.9 SOHC just isnt smooth enough and the 3.0 V6 -- well, uh, well, uh, er, um...

Just ask an old Saab or Catera owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturncanuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2001, 12:19 PM   #12
SCDYNE
SCDYNE is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
1997 SC2
Default Poll: '01 4-cyl L: If you drive 1, please ...

I have to disagree. The 2.2L or L61/L850 in any form is the best Engine you will ever see in a Saturn product. The engineering and design that went into that is excellent and so far, less a few cast issues, has been a solid engine.
In stock form it's a great engine and is very accepting to major mods too. There is a reason that engine is in a Speedster and it's because it's the best engine available.
GM hit a home run with this engine and I'm glad that Saturn was the first to stake clame on it. From now and forevere it will be known as a "Saturn engine" to the public. All media will reference future products as "with the same engine as the Saturn L series" or some comment like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SCDYNE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SCDYNE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2001, 01:59 PM   #13
saturncanuck

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Poll: '01 4-cyl L: If you drive

CatalystSaturn, I will agree on one point. The L61 is a new engine design and much smoother, and has the POTENTIAL to be the best engine. But, let's face it, there are a few design snags yet.

Give it a year and then it will be the BEST. Even the L24 / LL0 needed some tome to get good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2001, 08:06 PM   #14
silverplum
silverplum is on a distinguished road

My 2000 LW1 is very smooth when idling. No problems with the idle #t #ll. I h#ve found this to be # very good engine so f#r. But wh#t #bout the rec#lls?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverplum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverplum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2001, 08:11 PM   #15
silverplum
silverplum is on a distinguished road

Would somebody ple#se tell me why when I tried to type # cert#in letter in my previous post, n#mely the letter # in lower c#se, I ended up with the # ch#r#cter. It typed properly, w#s wrong in the preview #nd wrong when I submitted it by hitting the reply button. I h#ve never seen this h#ppen before. It's still not working properly when I preview my mess#ge. I #m sure you c#n guess wh#t vowel I #m typing. Wh#t gives here?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silverplum's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silverplum reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2001, 10:43 PM   #16
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Poll: '01 4-cyl L: If you drive 1, ple#se

I believe the word filter h#s been misconfigured. It seems Ch#rlie #ccidently set it to filter the letter in question. Or m#ybe this letter is rebelling #g#inst #ll the #ttention it receives from being the first letter in the #lph#bet. I find it quite entert#ining!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2001, 09:14 AM   #17
John10
Master Member
John10 will become famous soon enoughJohn10 will become famous soon enough

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2009 VUE 2.4L
Default Poll: '01 4-cyl L: respond!

It appears to me that Charlie was trying to do a "number" on all of us.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to John10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help John10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2001, 11:25 AM   #18
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Oh, the PUNishment!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-03-2001, 12:01 PM   #19
saturncanuck

2006 ION-3 Sedan
2006 ION-3 Sedan
Default Poll: '01 4-cyl L: If you drive 1,

Oh###

Dear####

####

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-04-2001, 01:04 PM   #20
Spedi

To return to the topic after the delighful side conversation, a "recall" does not seem likely silverplum. Rather, a Technical Service Bulletin could be issued. However, since the repair would be to the powertrain control module, and the powertrain control module manages the aspects of the emissions parts of the engine, a repair (and TSB) cannot be done until there is Federal approval. Estimated time for the development and approval process is of course very sketchy at this point .... shortest I've heard is approximately 2 months. It will be interesting to keep this issue in mind as the weather changes. Several technical minded people have suggested that the PCM control can be affected even by 10/15 degree changes in temperature.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread