SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
scarlett
scarlett is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Default Headlamps improper for night driving

My stock lamp low beam do not give enough light disbursement to drive safely on the highway and cause surprises in general for all night driving.

Does anyone have any suggestions for increasing the nighttime brightness and disbursement of the headlamp assembly?

Am I supposed to be running at night with my high beam projector flaps up? What is the point then, of having a low beam?

Any and all advice and thread links would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to scarlett's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help scarlett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
Yinzer
Yinzer is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Headlamps improper for night driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlett View Post
My stock lamp low beam do not give enough light disbursement to drive safely on the highway and cause surprises in general for all night driving.

Does anyone have any suggestions for increasing the nighttime brightness and disbursement of the headlamp assembly?

Am I supposed to be running at night with my high beam projector flaps up? What is the point then, of having a low beam?

Any and all advice and thread links would be appreciated.
Check the alignment. I find my headlights to work really well low or high beam, versus my Ion's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yinzer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yinzer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yinzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

I'd suggest doing what Yinzer suggests, and at least checking them against a wall and comparing the pattern to another car. Low beams (aka: dipped beams) aren't supposed to illuminate the trees and overhead signs, just the road and the shoulders/ditches to either side. If someone owned the car before you did, there is a possibility that the headlight aim has been tampered with.

Many people, including myself, have installed HIDs in our cars' projector assemblies (there are a few how-to's here on the forums). Provided that your aim is set correctly, you'll be putting a lot more lumens onto the road surface than with standard halogens. For maximum lumens, you'll want a kit with a 4300K colour temperature, which is what 99.9% of what factory HIDs use. They produce an ever-so-slight yellow tint (the blue light that people see is a result of the optics, not the bulb temperature) but are easiest on the eyes and produce the most lumens. If you prefer a light output closer to pure white, go with 5000K bulbs (although they will produce less lumens). I personally dislike 6000K and above since the light tends to "scatter" more and induce glare, everything on the road starts to look blue (road lines, white vehicles, etc.), and the drop-off in lumens actually becomes noticeable to the naked eye. I've even seen a few 10,000K+ conversions, and they actually put out less lumens than stock halogens.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
eneloop
eneloop is on a distinguished road

I always found that my ASTRA headlamps gave enough light disbursement to drive safely on the highway. You may want to have things checked out starting with what was mentioned above.

All the best
eneloop@yahoo.com

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eneloop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eneloop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eneloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
scarlett

2008 Astra XE

This is informative and timely advice. Thank you.

I did purchase used and have had the lights checked by the dealer. The result according to them, is that they are as good as it gets.
I understand that they are not supposed to illuminate overhead signs. The trouble I have finally noticed is that I do not illuminate any signs or reflectors and traffic markers at 2' or higher. I do get some illumination, enough to make out objects and most signs, but I do not illuminate road signs or markers. In the City is it not such a problem and is something I have just "dealt with" in good faith from the information from my dealer. Since I just started driving a new truck I have finally noticed what a problem it is.

I did the #'s. I park at 8 feet from a wall and the beam is cut off at 18". they point down and at 60' is how far from the car they hit the road. they do not illuminate any reflectors or markers above that angle. The only thing placing 6000's in, is p off more oncoming drivers on high beam. The area illuminated on low beam did not improve.

I did notice the "parking" lamps (accessed from the wheel well) have 2 filaments. Are they supposed to increase in power when the evening lights are on? Currently they do not.

I would happily make any upgrades suggested but I am not confident that it would be worth it till I understand if this is how my lights should be working. It is gross how dangerous I have been driving on a highway with oncoming traffic with far less than 60' to see. I am currently working with my dealer on the issue. Is there a spec. to use as a guideline?

Thank you for all your interest and I am, and will look into any options suggested.

cheers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help scarlett reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
cindycated
cindycated is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

They really do kind of suck for night driving. Especially on curves. Unfortunately here in California, it's illegal to drive around with high beams on. When I'm really struggling to see, I turn on my fog lights.

As soon as these lamps die, I'm replacing them with Sylvania Silverstar Ultras. https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/produ...tar-ultra.aspx
I had the same problem with my previous car (Explorer), and when I switched to the Ultras in that car, it felt like I could see from work all the way to my house! (haha, 30 miles away on 101) I think the beam pattern is different on those. With the OEM headlamps, it's short and wide. With those, it's long and narrower. There used to be an illustration and side-by-side photo on their site clearly showing this, but can't seem to find it now. But they're definitely brighter, and wouldn't require any rewiring.

Me, I don't care what's happening in the woods or someone's driveway. I'd rather be able to see ahead where I'm going. I think our car uses 9005.

Cindy
Astra XR5, Star Silver, Sunroof, Auto Trans, Sport Handling Pkg, Advanced Audio Pkg, Heated Seats

Last edited by cindycated; 07-13-2013 at 07:13 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cindycated's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cindycated reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cindycated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #7
Yinzer

The stock fog lights are really bright, too. I use them on residential and two lane back roads. Really help out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Yinzer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
I did purchase used and have had the lights checked by the dealer. The result according to them, is that they are as good as it gets... I am currently working with my dealer on the issue. Is there a spec. to use as a guideline?
I'd politely ask your dealer what they mean by "as good as it gets". They should be able to tell you if they are within factory spec or not. It is possible that the car has been in a front-end accident and they are already at their uppermost adjustment limit. In that case, the only other thing I can suggest is that the lower mounting bolt locations need to be shimmed upwards slightly to compensate. Unfortunately, the lower mounting bolt location is hidden under the front bumper, and must be removed to get at it. This would be a job for your dealer's bodyshop.

Quote:
I did notice the "parking" lamps (accessed from the wheel well) have 2 filaments. Are they supposed to increase in power when the evening lights are on? Currently they do not.
Nope. I've seen this on other vehicles too. The bulb sockets only feature wiring for one of the filaments, but the factory installs dual filament bulbs because it is cheaper in the long run to stock only a single bulb type rather than two. That's my theory, anyway. For example, the reverse lights on the Colorado/Canyon also feature two filaments. Aesthetically speaking, I think our cars look better when you swap out the factory clear park lights with amber ones anyway.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
cindycated

2008 Astra XR

Dug up a couple of old threads:

This one has some interesting info on Toshiba HIRs, and easy HID too:
http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=145224

This one compares different lamps:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954736

Hmmm...my past positive experience has been with SilverStar Ultras, but now I'm starting to rethink that. I'm pretty sure that my problem with the short beam is because of the lamp, as it was the first thing I noticed when I drove home from the dealership with my brand new Astra. Reminded me of the comparison pics on Sylvania's site (no longer there), which made me really miss the Ultras that were on my trade-in. Had adjustment checked by the dealer, who confirmed that they were at spec. Have been cussing out my headlights ever since.

Philips VisionPlus might be a cheap way to test this out, since it supposedly puts out a longer, brighter beam, and costs less than 1/2 of what Ultras are going for. May not be a dramatic improvement (or it may be), but may be good enough to see better. Lots of happy people on Amazon. I think I'll be trying this one next.

HIRs are supposedly brighter than Ultras, but cost more and not sure I really need them to be. Layoira made HIDs seem really easy, but there's still some wiring and drilling, so maybe later on down the line with me for this one.

Cindy
Astra XR5, Star Silver, Sunroof, Auto Trans, Sport Handling Pkg, Advanced Audio Pkg, Heated Seats

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cindycated reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Astra La Vista!

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycated View Post
Dug up a couple of old threads:

This one has some interesting info on Toshiba HIRs, and easy HID too:
http://saturnfans3.saturnfans.com/~s...d.php?t=145224

HIRs are supposedly brighter than Ultras, but cost more and not sure I really need them to be. Layoira made HIDs seem really easy, but there's still some wiring and drilling, so maybe later on down the line with me for this one.
One problem: HIRs were discontinued by Toshiba shortly after that link was started, and the only ones still available are cheap knock-offs that cost as much as a set of equally cheap HIDs. The main advantage of HIRs is that they require very little modification to install compared to HIDs, while the latter have the advantage of even higher output and longer life.

PS: If you can wait until Black Friday (who needs headlights in the summer anyway? ), www.HIDextra.com had all of their kits, bulbs, and accessories on sale last year for half price.

Last edited by Astra La Vista!; 07-15-2013 at 11:20 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
cindycated

2008 Astra XR

Nice. You mean like the day after Thanksgiving? There are so many Black Fridays now. Is it the easy fix, like Layoira did?

I'm all about "last year's model for half price!"

EDIT: Astra isn't listed in their model list. Which kit would we need to use?

And how about this link? http://hirheadlights.com/
Looks like they're no longer Toshibas, but "Philips Gen III." Is that bad?

Cindy

Last edited by cindycated; 07-15-2013 at 05:10 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-15-2013, 05:17 PM   #12
cindycated

2008 Astra XR

Dang these short edit times. Not being facetious, Astra La Vista. Seriously asking, cuz I'm tired of cussing out my headlights every time I drive home.

Cindy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #13
scarlett

2008 Astra XE

Thank you all for your input. I am getting far more information than I ever expected. I am Gladdened to know I am not the only one who would like to see the license plate of the car in front of me a little bit before I place my pretty little astra into their trunk. Also a little sad to hear that this may be tougher to diagnose for the only two complaints on the site.

I am resigned, from the information I have gleaned, that outside a complete aftermarket replacement I will not likely find an easy solution to this dilemma. I will certainly post any updates.

From the basics of internet learning I would figure that a bulb that is either longer or shorter would assist with how the reflection bounces around flap. Right now I have 3 pairs on the go from home remedies. I do not have a matched set and the difference is not a lot on the horizon but I do get 30' further down the road with one of my bulbs at the moment. I do not really care how bright they are, it is the disbursement I am most concerned with.
I did have the most expensive, brightest, shortest lasting Silverstar bulb I could find and wow the little reflector tabs on the road lines have never been brighter....

My dealer has so far not gotten back to me with any information. I do not currently have fog lights installed and have requested a quote for a factory install...still waiting patiently and as I had read earlier, contentedly till the fall comes. True who needs headlights in the summer....I have the time and the patience.

That is a great suggestion to shim the lower mounting bolts. I will run it by the dealer and see if they are willing to attempt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #14
eneloop
eneloop is on a distinguished road

I live far out in the country. Don't even have street lights in my neighborhood. It's dark 22 miles from the city out in a desert small town. My ASTRA lights were just as good as my Solstice and much better than my ION.
Truly I don't know if you have shot bulbs or misalignment, maybe a bit of both. I found while trying to brighten up my ION's lamps that the Philips Crystal Vision Ultra's did the best job of that. Oh and I tried at least 4 other so called hi-output bulbs. I got the pair via e-bay for under $25 bucks. I never thought I needed to do anything with the ASTRA or Solstice.

All the best
eneloop@yahoo.com

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eneloop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eneloop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eneloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
Astra La Vista!

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindycated View Post
Nice. You mean like the day after Thanksgiving? There are so many Black Fridays now. Is it the easy fix, like Layoira did?

I'm all about "last year's model for half price!"

EDIT: Astra isn't listed in their model list. Which kit would we need to use?

And how about this link? http://hirheadlights.com/
Looks like they're no longer Toshibas, but "Philips Gen III." Is that bad?
Lots of comments, so this will be a lengthy reply (still unemployed)...

I'm familiar with that site. $41 for two HIR bulbs shipped anywhere within the US ($55 for Canadians). For that you get bulbs that are approximately 75% brighter than stock, use the same 55 watts, and last about as long as a standard halogen bulb. Compared to HIDs at HIDextra.com, you can receive a kit + capacitors for $70 to anywhere in the US ($97 for Canadians). For that you get bulbs that are at minimum twice as bright as stock, use only 35 watts, and lasts 2-3 times as long as a standard halogen bulb.

HIR bulbs are cheaper but will have to be replaced 2-3 times as often, rapidly negating any price savings. Importantly, the Astra uses its headlights as DRLs, meaning that they are operating all the time and not just in the evenings. It is very conceivable that you will need to replace even HID bulbs at least once in the lifetime of our cars, so this adds up to even more savings. I'm already on my second set after approximately 1700 hours. OTOH, HIDs require quite a bit of work to initially locate and install the ballasts/ignitors, but you only have to invest that time once. You just have to have some confidence/skill to do the install. After that, replacing the actual HID bulbs is no more labour-intensive than stock halogen bulbs (or HIR bulbs).

"Black Friday"... as in the American "holiday" after that other day with all the turkey. So if you wait until then and they're on sale, an HID kit with capacitors is about the same price as one pair of HIR bulbs (provided those aren't on sale at the same time). If you drive a lot of miles/kilometres and/or plan on keeping the car for a long time, you might even consider buying a spare pair of bulbs at the same time to save in shipping (compared to buying just a pair of bulbs later on). Note that I do not work for HIDextra, so I cannot guarantee that they will have a 50% Off Black Friday sale this year like they did last year.

Our cars use 9005 bulbs, so all you should need is a 9005 bulb kit and some canceling capacitors to trick our cars' electronics and get around any erroneous "bulb out" issues. You may or may not need a 12V relay harness. My own installation uses resistors instead of capacitors, and I needed to use the harness as a result. Capacitors have become the more common trick (see Layoira's post), and I don't think you need the relay harness. It really varies from car to car. If you wait until HIDextra has a sale, everything should be half price so it won't break the bank if you buy the harness and don't end up using it. Just the relay and matching socket are worth the price if you need to use it for another project.

There are several installation how-to's on the forums here so you should be able to read up on what's involved, and set aside a Saturday afternoon to do the job. The biggest concern might be damaging some of the locking tabs on the ends of the bumper where it mates to the fenders. I tore one of mine but after reinstalling the bumper the result is barely noticeable (and only if you know what to look for). If you have a factory block heater charging port on the passenger side fog light insert, you will likely have to leave it attached and rest the bumper on a heavy blanket underneath the car while working (I couldn't find an easy way of disconnecting it so I had to go this route).

I didn't buy my original kit from HIDextra but used them to purchase some spare bulbs last year. I actually placed my order two days before their sale and contacted them afterwards, and they actually refunded me 50% of the cost (shipping was still full price) even after they had my money. You can't beat that kind of service, so I'm recommending them now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #16
Astra La Vista!

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Thank you all for your input. I am getting far more information than I ever expected.
Sorry about that. All this talk about HIDs vs HIRs vs stock halogens is really pointless to you if your existing bulbs are aimed too low. Our headlights contain a metal shield that creates a very distinct cut-off in the light pattern compared to older cars that do not feature our "projector" headlights so no matter what bulb you install, the extra brightness will still be limited by the cut-off and could actually be detrimental to night time driving.

You mentioned using bulbs of different ''lengths" to possibly adjust the focus inside the headlight, but I must tell you that this would be futile. The positioning of the white-hot bulb filament inside each bulb is very carefully placed during the design process of not only the bulb, but any headlight assembly that a manufacturer would use based around that bulb. We're talking about accuracies in the 1/100th of an inch range, and even using aftermarket HID bulbs inside our headlights will be ever-so-slightly off-focus compared to a headlight assembly that was designed to use HID bulbs. So trying different brands, etc. of 9005 bulbs won't change your result, and you can't use any other model bulb (eg: 9004, 9006, etc.) because each bulb type has a unique socket fit that prevents you from installing the wrong ones.

Irregardless as to the reasons why both of your headlights are pointed too far down, shimming is probably your best option in order to raise the light pattern cut-off. Like I said, there are three bolts that hold each headlight assembly in place, and unfortunately you need to gain access to the lowest one on order to install any sort of shim. I say "unfortunately" because in order to get at this particular bolt (and not the other two), you have to drop the bumper skin. Any bodyshop should have the skill to do this, and they should even be equipped to check the aim of your headlights before/afterwards.

Here is a pic I took of the offending bolt (just slightly below dead center). This is of the driver's side headlight assembly, with the bumper skin removed. One or two thick washers should do the trick, and you should be able to measure the results immediately without reinstalling the bumper skin.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2013, 04:31 AM   #17
Articwhite2008
Articwhite2008 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Get some 55watt DDM hid kits in there. Best mod you can do on the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Articwhite2008's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Articwhite2008 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Articwhite2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #18
Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articwhite2008 View Post
Get some 55watt DDM hid kits in there. Best mod you can do on the car.
Have you done this mod? Any pics? The price (39.55) per headlight kit for the 55w 9006 looks too good to be true.

Last edited by Yinzer; 07-20-2013 at 07:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-20-2013, 09:58 PM   #19
Astra La Vista!

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yinzer View Post
Have you done this mod? Any pics? The price (39.55) per headlight kit for the 55w 9006 looks too good to be true.
First, our cars use 9005 bulbs, not 9006 bulbs.

Second, 55W HID kits are pretty much a scam. I remember reading on one website a few years ago that offered both for sale, and they thankfully listed detailed electronic specs of both kits. While the 55W kits indeed consumed twenty more watts than the 35W kits, the specs actually proved that this didn't directly result in brighter bulbs. The "efficiency rating" of both ballasts was also listed, and the 55W kits were significantly less efficient (by at least 15%, if memory serves) at converting the extra power into extra brightness. In other words, the ballasts were cheap and wasted much -- if not all -- of those extra 20 watts and burnt it up as waste heat. A few months later, the technical specs were nowhere to be found, so I guess they wised up.

No automotive manufacturer on the planet uses 55W ballasts/bulbs in their HIDs, which means junk ballasts are pretty much a guarantee.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2013, 08:13 AM   #20
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

Here is my HID install thread.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...highlight=HIDs

Paul

15 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring 5-Door Manual
14 BMW 435i M Sport 6speed
08 XR 5 speed - Blue with 3M film - SOLD!
03 Acura CLS 6speed - Silver with 3M film - SOLD!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote