SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2012, 12:25 AM   #1
Exposed
Exposed is on a distinguished road

Default Recommended performance tires for XR?

I live in Florida, so we basically have summer weather all year long except for a brief winter season, which rarely ever dips into the 30's. However we also have alot of rain during the rainy seasons.

I'm looking for tires that take the above into account but are still performance orientated. By performance orientated I mean excellent traction. Basically my OEM tires are worn to the point where it likes to spin way too easily from a stop light, even though I don't apply that much throttle. I basically have to "granny" from a red light.

I'm looking for tires that minimizes "chirp" from a stop and have excellent grip to avoid spinning when I want to get a jump from a stopped position. Keep in mind I'm not talking about going full throttle, I'm talking about a partial throttle acceleration where I don't have to "granny" it just so the tires don't spin. These cars have alot of low end torque, it would be nice to have tires to go along with it. ECS can only do so much.

Any recommendations?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Exposed's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Exposed reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #2
carlover
carlover is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
Default Re: Recommended performance tires for XR?

I recently bought a set of these for my XR:
http://www.bridgestonetire.com/produ..._Pole_Position
Can't say enough great things about them.

Drive like you mean it, keep the rubber side down.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Glasact
Glasact is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I would recommend the "Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tred" I presently have a set on my BMW and I love them. Excellent wet road adhesion along with dry road performance. Super quiet too! I will definately be putting a set on my 09 XR soon. I still have the factory installed Goodyear LS tires on and I know what you mean about the tires easily spinnig when trying to get up to speed. They are wearing very well but the rubber compound seems to be rather hard and not very sticky. BTW, I have also used the "Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred" as well. also a very good all season performing tire, But I did notice more noise and a stiffer ride.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Glasact's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Glasact reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Glasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasact View Post
I have also used the "Goodyear Assurance Triple Tred" as well. also a very good all season performing tire, But I did notice more noise and a stiffer ride.
I agree. Nice performing tire in all kinds of weather.
And I also agree that the road noise can get on your nerves after awhile.
(simple fix is to turn up the tunes.)

Currently have 43k on my set looking to replace them soon.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
carlover
carlover is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR

The Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Positon tires are brand new and are far superior to any Goodyear tire that fits and XR. Excellent grip in wet or dry conditions - they don't even squeal on polished concrete. And absolutely quiet on the freeway. Plus they have rim protection sidewalls and look more aggressive.

Drive like you mean it, keep the rubber side down.

Last edited by carlover; 01-29-2012 at 12:51 AM.. Reason: spelling

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carlover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carlover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carlover is offline   Reply With Quote