SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #1
Tom of Detroit
Tom of Detroit is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Default Ignition wires, again

Yesterday when I was pulling my SL1 into the yard to change the oil, my day was brightened once again with the glow of my SES light. From the way it tripped on and the increased noise in the AM radio I guessed that I had yet another camshaft position sensor problem.

And once again an ignition wire had a bad connection. This time it was the #4 wire at the coil end; it was all powdered over. I cleaned it, the car immediately ran smoother, and the light went out on its own today.

The question is, has anyone found something that keeps this from happening? The last time (#3 wire this last spring) I tried using KOPR-SHEILD, a connection goo that looks like copper antiseize and is every bit as messy. It's didn't help. It wasn't meant for automotive use and the temp rating was low, I didn't have high hopes for it.

Has anyone come up with something that really works? I've never had a vehicle that ate ignition wires and connections like this before.

-Tom of Detroit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom of Detroit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom of Detroit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom of Detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Ignition wires, again

What you have to find is a set of wires that have the high quality stainless steel connectors. Then you have to just put them on and try real hard to not be connecting and disconnecting them. Clean the coil tower aluminum connector and wipe the barest amount of silicone insulating grease on them. Install new wires. This is as good as it gets.

I have had good luck with Magnecor 7mm wires. You really do not need the high $$ big fat ones.

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

You can buy them direct or scout the internet with Google for a discount.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
postmortal1
postmortal1 is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2
1993 SL2

Somebody that works on Saturns a lot told me that 7mm wires are the hot ticket for Saturns.. not sure if that is true and why but next set I buy is going to be 7mm especially since oldnuc reccomends them, maybe he will explain why 7mm work better for saturns???? hint hint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to postmortal1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help postmortal1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
postmortal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

All of the actual wire core is usually the same size in all the different sizes. All you are buying is thicker insulation and usually a pretty color. The DIS system does not generate voltages high enough to warrant a thicker insulation. The reason for staying with 7mm is all you get with the larger diameter is a thinner wallet. You can use 8mm and it still fits in the stock clips but its a bit pinched which is not good either.

You will find some that have a larger diameter wire core and this will function better with the high voltage systems. You will know if you need it though. You don't with a stock Saturn ignition.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #5
Tom of Detroit
Tom of Detroit is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
What you have to find is a set of wires that have the high quality stainless steel connectors. Then you have to just put them on and try real hard to not be connecting and disconnecting them. Clean the coil tower aluminum connector and wipe the barest amount of silicone insulating grease on them. Install new wires. This is as good as it gets.

I have had good luck with Magnecor 7mm wires. You really do not need the high $$ big fat ones.

http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/main.htm

You can buy them direct or scout the internet with Google for a discount.
Thanks OldNuc, looks like I'll have to do some shopping. Hopefully I'll have one less problem when the snow is up to my waist.

-Tom of Detroit

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom of Detroit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom of Detroit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom of Detroit is offline   Reply With Quote