SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #1
hellsaturn5537
hellsaturn5537 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Happy L series pull up reverse shifter removal for manual l series

Hey every one i have a 2001 l200 its a manual tranny and in order to get into reverse you have to pull up on the stick to go into reverse. You can just take the shifter boot off and inside you will notice the pull up assembly. you can simply brake this off and then you have to p[ull the knob off as well. this is on the stick pretty good so youll have to give it some force. A little twisting action and it should come right off. the rest of the assembly will simply slide off. now im going to get a red shift boot and an aftermarket knob maybe with some lights. This does not affect the shifting what so ever. in facet it makes it easyier on you since there is no pull for reverse any more... I hope this helps all of you. that wanteds to custamize your shifter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hellsaturn5537's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hellsaturn5537 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hellsaturn5537 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: L series pull up reverse shifter removal for manual l series

I think they sold about a dozen L's per year with manual transmissions. They are as scarce as hen's teeth.

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I am having a hard time figuring out why you want to do this. The reverse interlock is there to prevent you from inadvertently shifting into reverse when making the 4-5 or 5-4 shift. This would be very bad. All manual TX cars have some sort of reverse interlock/preventer for this reason.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
hellsaturn5537

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

im not that stupid to do that its never happened to me before and i wouldnt ever besides trying to go into reverse while your moving forward is imposible if i did hit reverse the gears would grind like crazy and it wouldnt let me if i tried

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hellsaturn5537 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsaturn5537 View Post
im not that stupid to do that its never happened to me before and i wouldnt ever besides trying to go into reverse while your moving forward is imposible if i did hit reverse the gears would grind like crazy and it wouldnt let me if i tried
No grinding into reverse if reverse has syncro's and blocker rings like the forward gears. Sometimes car makers do things for a reason.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
No grinding into reverse if reverse has syncro's and blocker rings like the forward gears. Sometimes car makers do things for a reason.
The reverse gears are straight cut spurs with no synchros. Any attempt to slide them into mesh while moving will result in grinding teeth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
hellsaturn5537

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

exactly my point

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #8
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Not in the L-series manual trans which is a SAAB manual trans.

From Wikipedia.

Quote:
F35 (MU3) transmission
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
This article is about an automobile transmission. For other uses, see F35.
The F35 is a Saab-designed five-speed manual transaxle built in Saab’s Gothenburg, Sweden, powertrain plant. This extensively tested manual transmission was originally introduced in the 1984 Saab 9000, and today it is used in the Saab 9-3 and 9-5, Chevrolet Cobalt SS, and various GM/Opel transverse engine front-wheel drive applications.

It weighs approximately 99 lb. (45 kg.) and uses 2 quarts of GM 88862472 gear oil. This gear oil is identified in GM documentation as a synthetic 75W-85 GL-4, Castrol Burmah (BOT 0063) manual transmission fluid, and is validated as "fill-for-life". No maintenance is required for normal operation. The gearbox is rated for 260 ft-lb (353 Nm) of engine torque.

The F35 features a two-axis conventional transverse layout, with fully synchronized gears, and compact packaging. It features a higher torque carrying capacity than most manual transaxles currently in use by competing North American small cars.

Different versions of the transaxle are available depending upon the application. Both cable and rod shift mechanisms are available, as well as application-specific clutch housings. The MU3 and MC2 are differentiated by ratios, with the MC2 available with a lower top-gear ratio.

Design features include triple-cone synchronizers on 1st and 2nd gears, and single-cone synchronizers for 3rd, 4th, 5th and reverse gears.

A limited-slip differential is available for high-output applications. GM has sourced Quaife's automatic torque biasing (ATB) torque-sensing (Torsen-style) differential, which is an all-mechanical geared unit that uses no clutch packs or preloading to transfer torque from one axle to the other. The torque transfer occurs automatically and gradually when one wheel loses traction. This type of differential can severely reduce the effects of torque-steer.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 09:40 AM   #9
hellsaturn5537

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

well reguardless if there are synchros or not i dont think any one is stupid enough to go into reverse while theyre are moving forward and if it did happen thay shouldnt even be driving so

REWARD EXCELLENCE!