SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1993 SL2
Default Most Anal Retentive Saturn Owner

Guessing if you've gotten 100, 200 or 300k+ from your SL, you just might be a little A-R (or just lucky). With 286,000 miles, motor never apart and original clutch and rear brakes, folks consider me a bit A-R, but I like to think my 2002 SL is just "slightly over-maintained".

Until today, when I found myself washing the seatbelts in my SL (beige interior shows everything). It's really amazing just how dirty those suckers can get in 15 years daily use (photos attached).

So, the question is, what is the most A-R thing you've ever done to/for your Saturn SL?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seatbelt.jpg (27.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg seatbelt 2.jpg (45.0 KB, 24 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #2
Medtactics
Medtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really niceMedtactics is just really nice

1999 SC2
Default Re: Most Anal Retentive Saturn Owner

When one finds a vehicle that gets 40mpg, is extreamly easy to fix, mod, and rebuild everything for about 4k. Not to mention comfortable and sticks to the road like glue, it's quite difficult to get rid of.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Medtactics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Medtactics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Medtactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
outsiderX
outsiderX is on a distinguished road

Good accumulation of dirt, that is pretty good in collecting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to outsiderX's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help outsiderX reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
outsiderX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:19 AM   #4
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtactics View Post
When one finds a vehicle that gets 40mpg, is extreamly easy to fix, mod, and rebuild everything for about 4k. Not to mention comfortable and sticks to the road like glue, it's quite difficult to get rid of.
True. Very true.

As far as the most anal retentive things I have done, so far?

Well, I scour the salvage yards for ORIGINAL bolts, wiring harnesses, ans even went as far as using factory clips from the center console and the matching screws to them(the ones that hold the console to the frame), for bolting my aftermarket speakers into the car.

When it comes to wiring and parts, I am OCD about using the correct parts(preferrably factory OEM), as opposed to "improvising" with some universal part. Exceptions do apply, but they are rare. My intake system is one exception.

I have also cleaned the wheels with a green dish scrubber, to get the brake dust off of them, out of every possible crevice(and I have the alloy tear drops)

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #5
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

How bad is this?
I've changed wheel sets from snow tire to summer tire three times this last winter depending salt-loading on the roads. I hate the squishy handling of snow tires, but refuse to turn the O.E. alloy wheels into corroded disasters.

When I rebuilt my car, all the plastic push rivets got a coating of silicone assembly paste. All the body bolts got antiseize.

I actually lube the hinges and apply silicone to door gaskets.

I am the 1%

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #6
Nekomimi
Nekomimi is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

I'm slowly getting more and more A-R, especially after i put the work into a particular piece.

My most A-R aspect is Torque specifications, nothing less then proper. But I can make an exception depending on the situation.

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 240,000+ miles and purring smooth.
My Mug is filled with the lost souls of imports.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nekomimi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nekomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:47 AM   #7
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
How bad is this?
I've changed wheel sets from snow tire to summer tire three times this last winter depending salt-loading on the roads. I hate the squishy handling of snow tires, but refuse to turn the O.E. alloy wheels into corroded disasters.

When I rebuilt my car, all the plastic push rivets got a coating of silicone assembly paste. All the body bolts got antiseize.

I am the 1%
But, I'll bet you have very well-kept rubber seals on your doors, without any signs of dry rot or cracking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #8
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

One of the reasons I love my SL2 is because I have had to do so little to it for 200K+ miles and 18 years. I change the oil, I add oil, and drive it hard. Once in a while I have to replace something. A few starters, coils and plugs. The car has not been washed this millennium that I recall. I am about to do a major rebuild though.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
Saturninin
Saturninin will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 3.5L
1994 SL2

Quote:
How bad is this?

I am the 1%
Was waiting for this post when I saw this thread....

You should see both cars that he maintains.... especially the SC, if I remember right there's like one thing *driver's seat* that makes it not look like a time capsule from the the 90's.... its super clean, but driven as well, but just a bit meticulously maintained lol

Great guy, *bit of a drive though haha*

Wanted: Dealer items (frames/ key-chains)

Miles(k) 2013~15
94 HCE ~180
05 Vue 3.5 87~140
98 SL1 260~426
08 Outlook XE 20~160
95 SC2 ~128

Past
96 SW2, 98 SL2
160k+ 95 SL,98 SW2, 03 Vue-I4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturninin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturninin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturninin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #10
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturninin View Post
Was waiting for this post when I saw this thread....

You should see both cars that he maintains.... especially the SC, if I remember right there's like one thing *driver's seat* that makes it not look like a time capsule from the the 90's.... its super clean, but driven as well, but just a bit meticulously maintained lol

Great guy, *bit of a drive though haha*
the SC2's a chick magnet for sure (cause right now the banner ad on this page is for "plenty of fish 40+").
I call it, "my place"
Here's where I took the seat out to clean it and to help find dropped maintenance tools.

Oh, wait! I thought you wrote, "Great guy. Bit of a DIVE though."

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:04 AM   #11
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
the SC2's a chick magnet for sure (cause right now the banner ad on this page is for "plenty of fish 40+").
I call it, "my place"
Here's where I took the seat out to clean it and to help find dropped maintenance tools.

Oh, wait! I thought you wrote, "Great guy. Bit of a DIVE though."
It is funny you mentioned the "chick magnet", even if you were being facetious. I pulled into a BP station, to buy a pack of smokes for my friend. I had the radio up, and the windows down, and couple of younger girls(late teens/early 20s) were cheering my Saturn SC2. Granted, at the age of 36 and coming from the end of the "Muscle Car Era", I was a little shocked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-26-2017, 09:34 AM   #12
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

What did you use to clean the seatbelts? Nice job - I tried with some spray cleaner (for carpet and cloth), and with dish sopa/water, and it didn't work as well as I had hoped it would
Quote:
Taking the seat out is the only way to really clean it

I hope to have time to pull the entire carpet out this summer, and really clean it. Hope to do the shiftier bushing, check vents and check the blower fan while I am in there.

I had already stuck the vacuum nozzle under all the seats and between the seat and center console, and vacuumed thoroughly (I thought) when I pulled it out to see if I missed anything

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:00 PM   #13
Sid
Advanced Member
Sid will become famous soon enough

1996 SW2

I'm cleaning and repairing the tape deck. And enjoying it. Trying to keep it original.

96 SW2 5MT

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:44 PM   #14
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post
Guessing if you've gotten 100, 200 or 300k+ from your SL, you just might be a little A-R (or just lucky). With 286,000 miles, motor never apart and original clutch and rear brakes, folks consider me a bit A-R, but I like to think my 2002 SL is just "slightly over-maintained".

Until today, when I found myself washing the seatbelts in my SL (beige interior shows everything). It's really amazing just how dirty those suckers can get in 15 years daily use (photos attached).

So, the question is, what is the most A-R thing you've ever done to/for your Saturn SL?
is polishing my muffler & tail pipe anal? I did so. my original muffler is in such great condition I am able to polish the metal! I see others with light surface rust on them but mine for whatever reason doesn't rust....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 03:45 PM   #15
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the roughsaturnsctwo is a jewel in the rough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
What did you use to clean the seatbelts? Nice job - I tried with some spray cleaner (for carpet and cloth), and with dish sopa/water, and it didn't work as well as I had hoped it would
Taking the seat out is the only way to really clean it

I hope to have time to pull the entire carpet out this summer, and really clean it. Hope to do the shiftier bushing, check vents and check the blower fan while I am in there.

I had already stuck the vacuum nozzle under all the seats and between the seat and center console, and vacuumed thoroughly (I thought) when I pulled it out to see if I missed anything

it really is hard to clean under the seat. I bought many vacuum attachments to get under it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote