SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
gel85
gel85 is on a distinguished road

Default 2008 VUE XE "Poor resale value"

Has anyone checked this out? I did at Kelly Blue Book and my 2008 VUE XE with 25000 miles I bought Dec 14th 2007 with liggage rack and fog lights that I paid 22k for TT&L is now worth 12K trade in. talk about being on the wrong side of a loan.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gel85's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gel85 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gel85 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
neilpilot
neilpilot is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: 2008 VUE XE "Poor resale value"

I agree resale for our VUEs is not great, but you expect a serious hit the day you take delivery of a new car.

On Dec 26, 2007 my 2008 XE cost $17,187, not including tax and registration fees. There was no trade-in. Options were floor mats, 6-CD sound package, roof rails, fog lights and pin stripe.

Maybe you paid too much?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to neilpilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help neilpilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
neilpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

it is because the 08 vues were huge rental cars. some as low as 10k right now. i would think that they wont depreaciate much if any after the first year. auras are the same way. an 07 isnt much difference in price than an 08 because of the rental fleets

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Kooler King
Advanced Member
Kooler King is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gel85 View Post
Has anyone checked this out? I did at Kelly Blue Book and my 2008 VUE XE with 25000 miles I bought Dec 14th 2007 with liggage rack and fog lights that I paid 22k for TT&L is now worth 12K trade in. talk about being on the wrong side of a loan.
The Kelly Blue book is probably being skewed optimistically, reflecting only the few actual sales / trades that happened in the recent past. If a dealer has a ready buyer lined-up for the trade-in or if they can make it up on the back end of the deal (with a factory incentive to them on the new vehicle), then the $12k offer might be realized in an actual sale. Those being offered less then $12k are most likely walking away.

You'd probably weep at the low-ball offers you'd get if you attempted to trade-in your vehicle now ... dealers don't really use the Kelly Blue Book ... they go by broker & auction quotes ... what they can actually can get for the vehicle, today & quickly, not historically.

As other have pointed out, the large number of 2008 rentals coming off-lease with 15k ~ 20k miles has knocked the bottom out of the market ... a 25k mile vehicle will go to the back of the pack.

Also, they're practically giving away the new vehicles with the multiple incentives, and most people with $12k to spend on a used vehicle will probably opt for a new one for a little more $ if the monthly payments are the same or lower.

It's a damn shame that the vehicle market is like this, but that's a consequence of today's economic deflation. Consider the question, "why buy today if it will be cheaper tomorrow?" ... this further fuels the deflationary cycle as people continue to play the waiting game.

Last edited by Kooler King; 01-22-2009 at 07:47 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kooler King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kooler King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kooler King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Keep it. At least, keep it if it still fulfills your needs anyway. Base model VUE resale has never been its strong point. The strong points are safety, utility, reliability (hopefully)...

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #6
ar15
ar15 is on a distinguished road

From Edmunds:

2008 Vue XE, leather, 24000 miles, excellent

Trade-in
$12,961

Private Party
$14,908

Dealer retail
$16,540

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ar15's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ar15 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L

12k is wishful thinking.

Saturns have always had pretty bad resale value and steep depreciation. The fact that GM is teetering doesn't do much to help the situation. If you want something that doesn't depreciate like a stone, then Saturn (or any GM) is not the way to go. Sad, but true and completely NOT a surprise.

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
2QuickZ's
2QuickZ's is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2007 AURA XR

Everything, and I mean everything is taking a big hit in residual values right now because of the economy. This is due to several factors:
1) Huge markdowns and rebates on new cars naturally degrades the value of a used car.
2) Dealers are having trouble selling used cars as well as new cars so they mark them down more to move them off the lots.

This has actually affected the traditionally strong Japanese brands as well, though perhaps not as badly. Saturn is probably already suffering from the uncertainty surrounding the brand as well.

I called a dealership and they quoted me a trade in value for my loaded '07 Aura XR w/ 22k miles - $11k Of course the used car they had on their lot that I was interested in, an '08 LaCrosse Super w/ 18k miles, was listed at $18,990.

I suspect as the economy picks up, things will start to look better on the used car front as well as new cars. Higher transaction prices relative to MSRP on new cars generally equals better residuals on used cars.

2008 Saturn Vue XR - FWD, Ruby Red, tan leather
2007 Saturn Aura XR - Midnight Blue, ebony leather (SOLD)
2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE
2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - M6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2QuickZ's's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2QuickZ's reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2QuickZ's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #9
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

saturns havnt always had bad resale. there was a time when a used one went for the same as a new one. seems like a lifetime ago

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #10
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Wow... My 2006 VUE which I paid over $26k is worth $11,450 trade in according to KBB.

It's worth quite a bit more to me. My VUE only has 13,500 miles and is in excellent condition. It's almost paid for...

I was almost rear ended yesterday when I stopped at a traffic light that turned yellow. The girl driving an Impala on a cell phone wasn't paying attention...

Some people believe that yellow means speed up...

Our photo traffic lights will issue a ticket to anyone driving 9mph over the speed limit. You need to respect them.

In Louisiana the ticket is about $150, in Los Angeles it's close to $500 if you're caught running a red light.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:44 PM   #11
GMmon
GMmon is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

2QuickZ's,ya' know that LaCrosse Super was over 32K new,so it's priced fairly 'right' in relation to your Aura. The Super is an interesting,fast Buick that's gonna' be a lot more rare than the Impala SS driveline doner.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GMmon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GMmon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GMmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #12
OGC5
OGC5 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Quote:
Seems like almost everything that I purchase goes on sale the day after I buy it.
However we really like our 2008 Vue XR now that gasoline is at a somewhat affordable price. Since we keep our vehicles a long time the resale price is not much concern.
OGC5

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OGC5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OGC5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OGC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
crj19
crj19 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Resale is terrible on any used car right now because you can get a new one so cheap.

Former Saturn Salesperson....Out of autosales for good!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crj19's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crj19 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crj19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
msupete
msupete is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

I got a lease on my XR for pretty cheap a little over a year and a half ago... Sounds like I should plan on buying it when it's done with the lease.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to msupete's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help msupete reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
msupete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:15 AM   #15
k2qo
k2qo is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 2.4L
2009 AURA XR

To gel85 and others wondering about poor resale value, may I suggest that it may be due to the apparent non-standard option you got, the "liggage rack"? OK, seriously, when I did my net worth on last day of 2008 I was SHOCKED by the low values of my 2008 VUE XE FWD from both KBB and another site.

My sticker was about 22,300. I had the GM employee pricing and a 2000 rebate. So with tax it came to about 20,500. With 7 months of ownership and 10,000 miles on the odo KBB told me the out the driveway price was about 13,500. No matter how you slice that it is very poor. My 2005 Vibe AWD with 46,000 miles was worth only $1300 less.

Now, I keep my cars a very long time, so it hardly matters, but if I were to get a new one every few years, I'd have to really work the numbers because even the GM discount doesn't cover this kind of hideous depreciation.

Best regards,
Mark K2QO
FN03ra

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to k2qo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help k2qo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
k2qo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #16
2QuickZ's
2QuickZ's is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMmon View Post
2QuickZ's,ya' know that LaCrosse Super was over 32K new,so it's priced fairly 'right' in relation to your Aura. The Super is an interesting,fast Buick that's gonna' be a lot more rare than the Impala SS driveline doner.
Absolutely. That's what I was trying to say. Why should I think my Aura is worth a ton of money if a LaCrosse Super is only $19k!

Generally speaking I am too cheap to trade a car in, though. I would hold out and sell mine myself and still buy the LaCrosse for $19k. I'm assuming prices won't have rebounded much in the next few months. It's more likely I'll get a Cobalt SS sedan if I get anything, though. I work in the auto industry (as does my wife) so it's hard to say if I'll even have a job in a few months. Suppliers are doing even worse than the OEM's with no help in sight.

2008 Saturn Vue XR - FWD, Ruby Red, tan leather
2007 Saturn Aura XR - Midnight Blue, ebony leather (SOLD)
2002 Pontiac Bonneville SE
2002 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - M6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2QuickZ's's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2QuickZ's reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2QuickZ's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #17
GMmon
GMmon is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Though I respect the driving dynamics of the current Cobalt SS,the interior IS a case in point of hard,cheap plastics. The trunk is big,but its opening is a mail slot & back seat room/comfort ain't happenin'. If they hadn't put such an ugly puss on the HHR SS,I might have lobbied the wife for one instead of the VUE. We do like our XR AWD,it's a classy ride that led the way for the new Equinox & Cadillac's new small suv.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GMmon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GMmon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GMmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #18
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

resale values should head up soon because very low sales to rentals and fleets the last few months. less rental returns means higher prices

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #19
CR Cirl
CR Cirl is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE Red Line

I have a loaded 08 redline Vue (everything but the nav system) with just over 20k miles. When I was in for my last maintainance visit, I asked out of curiosity what it would be worth as a trade in. They ran the numbers and came back with an offer of $16k - this on a vehicle that was over 30K a year ago. The XE FWD may be the lowest price today, but resale is rough across the board. It's a good thing I love my Vue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CR Cirl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CR Cirl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CR Cirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #20
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

saturns are worth about 50 percent after 1 year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!