SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2008, 03:38 PM   #1
dorisSL
Master Member
dorisSL is on a distinguished road

1995 SL
Default clutch safety switch

is there any danger to permanently disabling it?
i jumpered it when i was having starter issues to eliminate it as a problem, and i like not having it.

i always leave my car in neutral (its how i learned and is quite a habit at this point) so i wouldn't have much risk of ever starting it in gear, i'm just wondering if disabling it could potentially cause other problems

1995 SL, born 12/23/94, manual, WAI 190,500, "Doris"
(I'm Ben, the car is Doris)

you can't mulch at those speeds man, that's too fast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dorisSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dorisSL is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice2NDSOUT is just really nice

1994 SL2
1999 SL
Default Re: clutch safety switch

I think it is there to "Complete the circuit". Without it, I don't think you would be able to start the car at all since it is there to complete the circuit from the underjunction fuse box.

I believe that if you bypass the clutch safety switch you would have to run a wire from the underjunction fuse box directly to the starter.

I *could* be wrong on this, but I *think* this may be a good educated guess.

Bryan

94SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

99 SL

94SL2 260K Miles
1/15

97SW2 266K Miles
2/15

Always
94SC1 340,501 Miles
Org. Engine/Auto Trans
2/97-10/08
Gone 3/12

92SL1
05VUE
91SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Make up a properly fitting jumper wire of about 14 ga. or 16 ga. stranded wire and be rid of it. Its more government idiot proofing that leads to increased pollution in the gene pool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #4
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Make up a properly fitting jumper wire of about 14 ga. or 16 ga. stranded wire and be rid of it. Its more government idiot proofing that leads to increased pollution in the gene pool.
I was thinking (to reduce the risk of it coming loose) i would cut the harness off and crimp the wires.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dorisSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #5
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Quote:
Its more government idiot proofing that leads to increased pollution in the gene pool.
Ahahahaha.... oh how I support population control. Good one.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

Quote:
Its more government idiot proofing that leads to increased pollution in the gene pool.
let's hope i'm not the type they're trying to protect against.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

Well as long as you keep up with your habit... then you should be fine. There is a lady in the apt complex that has a habit of starting her sl2 and then going inside to let it warm up. One day I just want to steal it and drive it a couple of spaces down behind a suv so she will not see it until she leaves to go look for it.... what an idiot. You don't do that, especially in an apt complex. You live in the middle of no where fine... but especially where I live.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #8
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

the time its most useful is actually when i'm working on my car, but also, once it gets a little colder, i'll want it for scraping ice.

and i know not to leave my car unattended in my apartments. look at my pictures if you want proof of how i know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

yep... happened to my coupe in may and then my house was broken into on a friday in broad daylight a month ago.... but I have a present for if I am ever home. (mossberg) I'll get pics of my baby later. But my fiance was home all day and had ran out to get lunch. The cop goes well thank god you left... and I said yeah thank god for whom ever came through that door, because if she had heard the locks fiddling... she would have shot right through that door and I would have atleast waited til they walked in and I would have shot them when they made it to the bedroom. They broke in with a knife... and with a dead man laying on the floor its hard to argue that he didn't pose a threat to my life. lol... I don't mind sending someone their kid in a box (sorry population control I won't even argue about it)... I heard on the news friday night last week... that the sum na b**** has hit over 56 cars in just october alone.

I had a girl argue with me, well don't you think they should get a second chance... and I said they did, after they broke into my car... we don't need people like that in the world... and no I honestly don't care about that person's life... after having my 2 y/o cousin murdered and my uncle with 3 bullets in his head... I have learned how messed up people can be. So why should I care for a criminal... waste of tax money and when the person who argues in defense for them becomes the victim of having a family member murdered, I'm sure the perspective will change... but not all of them.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:06 PM   #10
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

in my apartments alone, i think about 20 got hit in october. one of my neighbors had the same car broken into twice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:23 PM   #11
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

There is a flame thrower kit that has an injector and a ignitor... I cannot remember what it is called. But you can't get it in america (but you can get it shipped from somewhere else ) but its to prevent kidnappings from cars in 3rd world countries. Oh yeah the Blaster kit... but basically there is a switch next to the gas pedal and when you hit it a 8ft flame shoots up on both sides of the car... it says its not enough to kill you but may cause you to go blind permenantly if you are the one being hit. Its a couple second blast... oh it will burn the hell out of you... but anywho... there is a way to rig it that if the vehicle door window is broken or if the handle is pulled on with the door locked it will go off. Granted you have to watch out for people who think your car is theirs... but that's another story or if you forget. But you get the point... best theft deterrent next to the trunk monkey... go to youtube and look up the blaster kit you may have to search for who invented it first... they have a demo video... and look up "trunk monkey" or best of trunk monkey.. watch all of them... they are hilarious especially the one with the girl and her boyfriend.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:28 PM   #12
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorisSL View Post
let's hope i'm not the type they're trying to protect against.
Well, if you drive through the end of the garage, you will know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-20-2008, 05:30 PM   #13
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnDaGround View Post
There is a flame thrower kit that has an injector and a ignitor... I cannot remember what it is called. But you can't get it in america (but you can get it shipped from somewhere else ) but its to prevent kidnappings from cars in 3rd world countries. Oh yeah the Blaster kit... but basically there is a switch next to the gas pedal and when you hit it a 8ft flame shoots up on both sides of the car... it says its not enough to kill you but may cause you to go blind permenantly if you are the one being hit. Its a couple second blast... oh it will burn the hell out of you... but anywho... there is a way to rig it that if the vehicle door window is broken or if the handle is pulled on with the door locked it will go off. Granted you have to watch out for people who think your car is theirs... but that's another story or if you forget. But you get the point... best theft deterrent next to the trunk monkey... go to youtube and look up the blaster kit you may have to search for who invented it first... they have a demo video... and look up "trunk monkey" or best of trunk monkey.. watch all of them... they are hilarious especially the one with the girl and her boyfriend.

i'd worry about the blaster and a plastic car. might turn doris into a puddle

so far the alarm is working. 90% of its function comes from the LED indicator light, i think.

i've seen some ads for the trunk monkey, but i don't think it would work. my trunk has a big sub box (2 12s, currently) and usually a tool box as well.

plus, he'd get bored and lonely, so id need 2, at least.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #14
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

Quote:
Well, if you drive through the end of the garage, you will know.
no garage to drive thru but there are curbs and other cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

Quote:
i'd worry about the blaster and a plastic car. might turn doris into a puddle.
They say that it is safe... that its not that close to the car, but given a windy day... they say its safe and will not melt the pain... but good point. Look up the video.. you'll see it they use a dummy and it does not hurt the paint at all.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
the time its most useful is actually when i'm working on my car, but also, once it gets a little colder, i'll want it for scraping ice.

and i know not to leave my car unattended in my apartments. look at my pictures if you want proof of how i know.
Probably the clientèle from the Cash Advance place.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:34 PM   #17
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

Quote:
i almost asked them for videos from that day, but it looks like all their cameras are pointed the wrong way.

i think it's some highschoolers, because it only seems to happen on weekends.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #18
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

Quote:
lol... around me... definetly. Kind of an infestation goin on around here... not to be racist but the place next to mine... I do not believe a single white or black person lives there. And the area is sadly known for blood and ms 13 activity... which reminds me. I was sitting outside smoking a cig... and I hear 2 loud bangs... now I shoot guns all the time so I know the sound.. but I didn't want to jump to conclusions.. so I said, well its probably a trash truck clearing a dumpster (keep in mind it was a distance away, but I felt it in my chest) and this was 11 at night... so dumpster was streching it.. then 2 seconds later 2 more bangs... then pop pop pop pop (automatic gun fire) that was not mistaken and I went right the **** inside and opened the gun case and turned on the tv.... then heard a swarm of cops go past my complex.... so yeah... it was a dump truck... lol

keep in mind... 3 years ago the local area was completely safe... no my complex is mostly hispanic 20 people in a 1 bedroom kind of crap (not kidding) and look at where your sense of security has gone... I wonder what happened?

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #19
dorisSL
Master Member

1995 SL

i live in a nice(er) area of Renton, but not the nicest. the thing that bugs me, though, is that when my car got broken into, i called the police and they had me fill out a report online, and i never heard from them again. one of my neighbors had their car broken into, and the police were there in less than 5 minutes. same complex, but i was the first one to report an incident. they got off with ~$800 of stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-20-2008, 06:37 PM   #20
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

My '93 SL2 has a 30a fuse in place of a jumper and adding all of the wireing needed for a clutch switch. Not the stupid mini-fuses or the crazy ginormous fuses Saturns use but the middle size like my '89 Cutlass Supreme used. Seems to work fine.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote