SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2008, 08:54 AM   #1
jaekl
jaekl is on a distinguished road

1996 SW1
1995 SL1
Default Automatic transmission issues

Okay experts I would like some confirmation. 96 SW1, I rebuilt the trans for diff pin damage and initially it works fine. Now a couple of weeks later it shifts fine for about 10 minutes then the next time up it won't shift into 3rd. Pull over and restart engine and it shifts okay. (I don't know how long a restart is good for since it's my wife's car.) The SES light is producing code that 3rd and 4th ratios are bad. First call to the dealer response was reprogam and diagnois at $85 min. When called to set an appointment, they now say it's not a programing issue and the learning curve is just to smooth out the shifts. He's telling me it's probably something to do with the valve body such as the solenoids. If I bring it in they will do pressure tests etc, meaning they will do a battery of tests.
Is going to the dealer my only choice or are these symptoms typical of a bad solenoid, which I can change? It does pause going into reverse but it had done that before.
Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaekl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaekl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaekl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
jaekl

1996 SW1
1995 SL1
Default Re: Automatic transmission issues

Oh great! I have a stumper. At least I got back on page one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jaekl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

The experts are all on vacation ect.
Have you tried the SLAM CURE treatment ,put seafoam trans tune into fluid 1/2 of the can will do ,then put in reverse ,run at idle for thirty minutes,backed up to a wall ,or with parking brake applied.

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
jaekl

1996 SW1
1995 SL1

Thanks, I might have disturbed some deposits. I'm also thinking of changing out the solenoids. I drove it to work today. It's strange after the second restart, it was working fine, upshifts and downshifts. Before the restart it just would not go into high. We always would get about 5 shift points. Does the the converter lock up in 3rd and 4th? Previously it usually would do 2 downshifts and immediately put on back. I just thought it was converter locking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #5
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

The converter locks up between 2nd,and third on Saturn T A A T .
If problem continues ,just change out the valvebody ,you probably have problems brewing inside the unit ,pressure relief,or priority valves ect.

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:45 PM   #6
jaekl

1996 SW1
1995 SL1

Thanks Dr.B. Ever since we bought it, I've been trying to count the shifts and got 5 to 6. Some are so slight, they are hard to notice, but I figured it was a lockup.
I'll try some of the Seafoam and the cleanout process before I start swapping out parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!