SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2007, 06:41 AM   #1
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default '99a or '99b?

I have an opportunity to buy yet another SW. This will make 3. I haven't been able to look at it yet but, from the description, this one has a rod knock. I have a '97 engine with what's probably an okay bottom end. My problem is that the wagon's a '99. So, if it's '99b, the bottom end won't fit. What's the easiest way to tell, just looking at the engine?

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
fashions
fashions is on a distinguished road

Default Re: '99a or '99b?

barnowl, with the vin # you could get production date from dealer which would give you some more information to decide if its early or late.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fashions's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fashions reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fashions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

A 1997 engine will go into a 1999 with no problems. We have a 1999 SC2 with a 1997 engine.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:14 PM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
A 1997 engine will go into a 1999 with no problems. We have a 1999 SC2 with a 1997 engine.
You misunderstand what I'm asking. I want to put the '99 head on the '97 block. That is supposed to work for some '99s. I want to know how to tell which this one is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:23 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Isn't the later head the narrower one, with the cams spaced closer together? No molded "snaps" for the spark plug wires between the cam spaces on the cam cover? And isn't this also the one with a 9-stud exhaust manifold, vs. the old 5-stud? Or am I getting my transitions all mixed up?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #6
BarnOwl

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

AFAIK that's correct. The 9 versus 5 studs on the exhaust manifold is the kind of thing I was looking for. I'd forgotten about that one. I didn't know about the molded snaps. I'll have to take a look at my SW2 to check that out. The narrower head is and cam spacing are a little hard to see just looking at the engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

The 1999 head, no matter which one it is will bolt up the the 1997 block. If thats what you're asking. It an hour and a half to lunch, I'm starving and not thinking clearly.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
BarnOwl

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
The 1999 head, no matter which one it is will bolt up the the 1997 block. If thats what you're asking. It an hour and a half to lunch, I'm starving and not thinking clearly.
That I didn't know but, you are the guy that I knew would. So, I guess the narrower head didn't show up until 2000. Thanks very much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:10 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
That I didn't know but, you are the guy that I knew would. So, I guess the narrower head didn't show up until 2000. Thanks very much.
I don't think that's what he means. I think he means that the block is not changed, so either the wider or narrower head will fit the '97 block. But now I'm hungry, too (LATE lunch time here in the Central TZ).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-18-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
I don't think that's what he means. I think he means that the block is not changed, so either the wider or narrower head will fit the '97 block. But now I'm hungry, too (LATE lunch time here in the Central TZ).
Yeah, thats it.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:23 PM   #11
BarnOwl

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Forgive me for being dense but, I would think that if the head was actually narrower, it wouldn't bolt up to a block made for a wider head. I don't mind it if I'm wrong about that. I want the block to go in the '99 not in the '97. So, it works for me regardless.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:27 PM   #12
madpogue

1996 SW2

I'm oversimplifying, but -- the top of the head is narrower; less spacing between the cams. The bottom of the head is the same. Think of it this way (wavering OT): the SOHC head is way narrower than either one, and it fits the very same block.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #13
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
I'm oversimplifying, but -- the top of the head is narrower; less spacing between the cams. The bottom of the head is the same. Think of it this way (wavering OT): the SOHC head is way narrower than either one, and it fits the very same block.
Couldnt of put it better myself.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-18-2007, 07:21 PM   #14
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

yes the timing cover, exhaust manifold and valve cover will be different also, i think

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:37 PM   #15
fashions
fashions is on a distinguished road

came across this post and thought it could help id '99 motors

Re: Torque specs Rods/Mains
These "new" rods appeared in the LATE 99' model year engines with the "improved" rods and pistons. (Look for the lovely plastic intake to identify a late 99' DOHC engine. All 00' ~ 02' have these rods...., wolfman

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fashions's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fashions reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fashions is offline   Reply With Quote