SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2007, 07:14 PM   #1
sc2dave
sc2dave is on a distinguished road

Default how would a tbi work on a mpfi manifold?

I had a thought,how would a tbi work on a later model engine IF it was setup properly,everything adjusted and connected and no check engine lights,and no fitment problems? would'nt this give the fuel more time to mix? I was thinking placing the tbi where the throttle body is at,or somewhere close to it.No,i am not contemplating this,just asking questions for curiousity's sake

www.bold-fortune.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2dave is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: how would a tbi work on a mpfi manifold?

It would work, but you may have to deal with the mixture distribution issues. The TPI intake was designed for dry flow. Doesn't mean it won't work with wet flow, but you shouldn't be too surprised to find you have lean and fat cylinders. A device that looks a lot like a Tornado placed under the throttle body will help to create turbulent flow to help. If you want to see what this device looks like, check out the Chevy Crossfire injection system. You could even make a carburetor work if you really wanted to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #3
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Oh man. Why do you want to go with a relic like TBI? Ancient history man. I had a truck with TBI and they're pretty easy to work on and stuff, but ancient.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to froggy81500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:24 PM   #4
sc2dave
sc2dave is on a distinguished road

like i said in my first post:No,i am not contemplating this,just asking questions for curiousity's sakenow, how easy would it be to adapt a tbi to a hand-made intake manifold for a straight-6 chevy engine?it'll mainly be for cruising only,with mileage in mind.what would i need to do? the engine is in a 66 nova.

www.bold-fortune.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:08 PM   #5
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Its only a matter of matching up the base plate of the TBI unit to the base mount on the manifold. I'm guessing you're trying to update a carbed motor with a fuel injection system.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to froggy81500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:09 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Now that you've narrowed down the engine size there are still quite a few issues you'll have to address; tbi implies all the sensors required to operate it as GM's first attempt at EFI wasn't reliable before succumbing to Bosch EFI systems. Even early Bosch EFI worked without a crank position sensor and used the mechanical distributor with electronic Hall effect sensors to generate ignition and most likely injector pulse timing. You may as well go find an early Chevy 6-inline (Citation?) with tbi and electronics but the major problems will be figuring out if the engine you have in mind can adapt to the various sensors of the past. Before throttle bodies were put on the early Saturn's, GM tried them on the Chevy's in the late 70's, early 80's and discontinued them by succumbing to the superior Bosch EFI system after struggling with design applications. Your '66 engine may be adaptable but it'll take some work to do it and you may be better off with the old but still reliable carburetor. A carburetor that can be taken apart, cleaned, float checked with the needle valve still working properly can work just as well as tbi. A question to ask is what is the compression of a '66 and if a little higher than EFI systems require will this work with 87 octane or will the compression have to be lowered with a thicker head gasket to reduce the chance of detonation (no knock sensors). Assuming you want fuel economy I excluded the use of higher octane gas. A six cylinder with a larger engine displacement will use more fuel than a four cylinder.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote