SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2020, 11:11 PM   #1
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default 2nd gen steering wheel swap, for a 3rd gen wheel?

So I'm curious to see if anyone has ever tried to throw a 3rd gen steering wheel in a 2nd gen.

Wondering if it's basically a plug and play.

This is the style wheel that's currently in my 98. Has the two horn buttons, one on either site (pressing the center where the airbag is does nothing), and has the cruise controls on a protrusion on the right-hand side of the wheel.

I was looking in a 2000 model and noticed that the two buttons on the steering wheel are the cruise controls, no protrusion sticking out of the side of it like the 98 for the controls, and the horn functions by pressing the center where the airbag is, like ever other car made after 2000 lol. Looks like this.

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2020, 09:57 AM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: 2nd gen steering wheel swap, for a 3rd gen wheel?

No, the major difference is that they are splined differently. I suppose you could look at changing out the steering column and figure out the wiring but that's a lot of effort to go through.

If you want to upgrade you can swap in a leather steering wheel from a 95-99 sedan, wagon or coupe. There are two types; perforated leather and standard leather. The coupes are equipped with perforated leather whereas the sedans and wagons the standard leather. They are both the same as the 98 steering wheel shown below except leather wrapped.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 01-13-2020 at 10:02 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 08:49 PM   #3
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
No, the major difference is that they are splined differently. I suppose you could look at changing out the steering column and figure out the wiring but that's a lot of effort to go through.

If you want to upgrade you can swap in a leather steering wheel from a 95-99 sedan, wagon or coupe. There are two types; perforated leather and standard leather. The coupes are equipped with perforated leather whereas the sedans and wagons the standard leather. They are both the same as the 98 steering wheel shown below except leather wrapped.
Ah okay. That's what I was most curious about keeping me from doing it, the splines on the column where the wheel goes on...

My SL2 actually has the leather wrapped wheel already in great shape, I was just looking at options that rearrange the horn and cruise control buttons.

One with radio control options would be amazing, but I don't think such a thank exist, at least in the form of an original factory option lol.

Thanks for the speedy reply

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2020, 01:38 AM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Almost anything bolts to anything with a grinder/cut-off wheel, a welder and some imagination

Shouldn't be that hard to make the steering wheel swap, though I can't see it being worth the effort unless the worthless horn buttons burned out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:21 AM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

You'd also have to change from the 3-wire 2nd gen horn with the integrated relay that always eventually fails, to a 2-wire horn if you haven't already done that.

Also would have to do some testing to match the wires in the cruise.

seems like there is something different in 3rd gen cruise and 2nd gen cruise (added feature? like Resume, maybe) but I cant think of it off the top of my head.

I know with 2nd gen digital odometer, if you switch from odometer to trip, shutting the car off resets it to odometer while 3rd gen remembers and stays in trip. Irrelevant, I know but there are lots of small bits that are different.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:37 PM   #6
98_Gold_Uranus

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
You'd also have to change from the 3-wire 2nd gen horn with the integrated relay that always eventually fails, to a 2-wire horn if you haven't already done that.

Also would have to do some testing to match the wires in the cruise.

seems like there is something different in 3rd gen cruise and 2nd gen cruise (added feature? like Resume, maybe) but I cant think of it off the top of my head.

I know with 2nd gen digital odometer, if you switch from odometer to trip, shutting the car off resets it to odometer while 3rd gen remembers and stays in trip. Irrelevant, I know but there are lots of small bits that are different.
Nah I'm still rocking the factory 3 wire horn, it still works lol

I did notice a difference in the cruise buttons, mainly the 2nd gen's on/off is a literal on/off switch, where as the 3rd gen uses a momentary button...

And yes, I've noticed that about the odometer trip too! Thought I was just going crazy lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!