SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Parts availability

About 12 years ago I got rid of my 77 Celica with 420,000 miles. The car ran fine but difficulty in getting parts made in an impractical daily driver. I'm starting to see the same with our S series. GM has disconnected a lot of our parts awhile back but now even junk yards are getting slim. Pick n Pull is no longer overflowing with old S series (which is what I found in the mid 90's with my 77 Celica).
As an example I'm trying to find a manual window regulator PN 21097201. Obviously GM stopping making them a decade ago but now ever calling around wrecking yards I can't find one. I can't drive around with a broken window. I noticed that there are aftermarket regulators for the 97+ but not the 91-96.
Maybe I'll find a regulator but I suppose its a matter of time now that parts just won't be obtainable.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
me.theuser
me.theuser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2001 SL2
Default Re: Parts availability

I balked at the price for the window regulator I just made the window un-openable instead

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to me.theuser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help me.theuser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
me.theuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:49 PM   #3
imaddicted2u
imaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really niceimaddicted2u is just really nice

2008 AURA XE

I did a quick search on http://car-part.com/ ...there are a few listed.

2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imaddicted2u's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imaddicted2u reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:18 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^ You are correct, tons of left and right front regulators for a 1996 SC2 manual window. Most are around $35-45 in Grade A condition. Good find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
laser3kw
laser3kw will become famous soon enough

2000 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
I use that to find parts by location. Helps a lot. Around here, I can go to LKQ web site (self pick yards) and they now have an "inventory" page. Tells you what they have, a few pictures and a few details.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to laser3kw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
laser3kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:35 PM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser3kw View Post
...Around here, I can go to LKQ web site (self pick yards) and they now have an "inventory" page. Tells you what they have, a few pictures and a few details.
Very nice! LKQ actually shows the car, so you can see how the owner treated it

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #7
laser3kw

2000 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Very nice! LKQ actually shows the car, so you can see how the owner treated it
they don't clean them out very good. I have found credit card receipts, cds, and, what I think was, a t-shirt with blood on it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help laser3kw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #8
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
they don't clean them out very good. I have found credit card receipts, cds, and, what I think was, a t-shirt with blood on it?
And, that brings the question, will they remove parts if they are paid to do so?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2020, 01:35 PM   #9
laser3kw

2000 SC1

Quote:
And, that brings the question, will they remove parts if they are paid to do so?
I don't believe so, though I've never asked (or seen it offered). Bring your own tools, pay $2.00 admission, roam the lot (segregated by brand), all are up on blocks so you can crawl under them. If you what to pull a motor, they have a portable gantry crane you can use. They also have wheelbarrows that you can use to move parts to the counter. At the counter they have set price for each part, doesn't matter if it is GM, Ford or whoever. Prices are listed on their website. But, they will charge you for all the parts such as if you pull they alternator and it still has the bracket and maybe you cut the harness and there is 6 inches of wires, they will charge for the alternator, the bracket, the wire harness and maybe the bolts! And then there is the core charge for each part!
You can recover the core charge if you bring back the old bad alternator and such, but most people don't bother.
But, all in all, they are still pretty cheap on parts and around a holiday, they have a 50% off anything sale.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2020, 02:45 PM   #10
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
The LQK in San Bernardino, Ca. offers assistance. The manager informed me that men are available for a small fee that could help, if needed. I would ask at the location you want to use.

Saturn 1998 - SL2 automatic
Singer 1952 - 301A knee driven

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:08 PM   #11
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Thanks! Winter is the time to pay the professionals to get the parts for me. They could bring the car into their garage. If not, itís warm clothes and sheets of cardboard

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2020, 07:44 PM   #12
laser3kw

2000 SC1

Quote:
I use that to find parts by location. Helps a lot. Around here, I can go to LKQ web site (self pick yards) and they now have an "inventory" page. Tells you what they have, a few pictures and a few details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by focusofheart View Post
The LQK in San Bernardino, Ca. offers assistance. The manager informed me that men are available for a small fee that could help, if needed. I would ask at the location you want to use.
whoops! I meant to write "LQK" - my fingers overrode my thinking

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #13
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
whoops! I meant to write "LQK" - my fingers overrode my thinking
I could read what you meant

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

Saturn 1998 - SL2 automatic
Singer 1952 - 301A knee driven

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:36 PM   #14
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

^^ That quote is incredible!
I just had to send this to my kids and their spouses to marvel at too.
Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2020, 02:32 AM   #15
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusofheart View Post
I could read what you meant

"Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."
That's a classic

I remember that being posted in the Gasbuddy forums over a decade ago. RIP Gasbuddy forums. The new site owners have destroyed it.

1999 SL2 A4 -87k miles
Currently sipping Mobil 1 & LiquiMoly mos2

TCW3 dosed fuel

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:43 PM   #16
Highmile
Highmile will become famous soon enoughHighmile will become famous soon enough

1995 SL1

be careful, I found there was a change in them in the 94 to 95 model year.

I bought a manual regulator for my 95 (which was a very early production car) and it didn't fit. Bought a 94 regulator and it fit perfectly.

Highmile
'95 SL1 699k and counting

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Highmile's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Highmile reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Highmile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:46 PM   #17
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaddicted2u View Post
So far I'm not getting good results. Bought one but then got a call back it was broken when they pulled it so they refunded me.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #18
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

Don't give up so fast, ambition is made up of sterner stuff.
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #19
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Looks like I"m looking at $100 with shipping for a less worn out regulator. I don't think this will improve as the fleet ages.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-15-2020, 11:37 PM   #20
A2Saturn
A2Saturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

The driver door manual window regulator was replaced in my sedan last summer and it took a lot of searching to find it. I just bought the whole door off of a 95 SL2 and had my body shop replace it along with some paint work. They said it wasn't an exact fit, but close enough and it's working much better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to A2Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help A2Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
A2Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote