SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default Undercoating

I noted that the 2001 yellow SC2 we just picked up does not have undercoating. Neither does the first 2001 yelliw SC2. Our 96 SC2 also does not have it.

All of our other cars do have it.

How about yours? I assumed they all had it till last year when we got our 96.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2020, 02:47 PM   #2
me.theuser
me.theuser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2001 SL2
Default Re: Undercoating

neither my 2001 sl2 or 2002 sl1 have undercoating
not totally sure if my 96 sl1 or 98 sl1 had it but I don't think they did

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to me.theuser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help me.theuser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
me.theuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:39 PM   #3
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Is undercoating the black, rubbery stuff?

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:23 PM   #4
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Unless you've been driving on fresh hot asphalt....

:P

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2020, 03:01 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

You have to pay $100-$200 extra every year to have it redone and with workplace's like mine you can't use the work parking lot until it's done dripping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
You have to pay $100-$200 extra every year to have it redone and with workplace's like mine you can't use the work parking lot until it's done dripping.
What's it cost to have it removed?

Because I would rather not have it.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2020, 05:42 PM   #7
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Drive hard and fast on a loose gravel road for weeks will do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:18 PM   #8
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Done dripping? Most undercoating doesn't drip. Maybe the more oil types do? That's not what I'd consider standard undercoating, Though.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:07 PM   #9
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Drive hard and fast on a loose gravel road for weeks will do it.
I experimented trying to take it off with a pneumatic needle scaler. Whatta mess....

The problem is - it hides critical rust and makes it a mess to attempt fixing.

I would rather just not having it.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2020, 01:13 AM   #10
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
Done dripping? Most undercoating doesn't drip. Maybe the more oil types do? That's not what I'd consider standard undercoating, Though.
They don't care what it is, we use enough harsh, environment killing, chemicals the Government will come down on the plant with the wrath of the EPA behind them if anything that doesn't belong gets into the ground.

To my knowledge there's only 2 undercoatings available...oil based & whatever Fluid-Film is. Both drip for some amount of time after application and they recommend spirited dusty back road driving for a while to keep it 'stuck' to the car.
The rubberized spray on undercoating just rots out the frame 10x faster than a saltwater bath every winter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:01 AM   #11
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
They don't care what it is, we use enough harsh, environment killing, chemicals the Government will come down on the plant with the wrath of the EPA behind them if anything that doesn't belong gets into the ground.

To my knowledge there's only 2 undercoatings available...oil based & whatever Fluid-Film is. Both drip for some amount of time after application and they recommend spirited dusty back road driving for a while to keep it 'stuck' to the car.
The rubberized spray on undercoating just rots out the frame 10x faster than a saltwater bath every winter.
It sounds like you have the oily stuff more available in your area (are you in Canada?) and that's what you primarily think of as undercoating. The stuff I'm talking about, is asphalt, or "rubberized" and won't drip anymore than the paint on your car.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #12
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
I experimented trying to take it off with a pneumatic needle scaler. Whatta mess....

The problem is - it hides critical rust and makes it a mess to attempt fixing.

I would rather just not having it.
I've never used a needle scaler, but isn't that going to damage the paint underneath and then promote rust? It seems to me that if it's stuck on well it's better left alone. Just keep it sprayed with Fluid Film, or scrape off damaged areas and respray with a decent undercoating out of a spray can.... something purchased from a body shop supply house.

If you need to remove small areas of the stuff, I'd recommend something with a high concentration of d-limonene.... not the "orange degreasers" available on the retail market as those have a very low percentage. You need the expensive stuff. I stripped the inside of a van floor with it once, but even that was probably auto parts store grade, not the super heavy stuff I've seen on some vehicles. I sprayed it on, let it sit and then pressure washed it.... I then wire wheeled a lot too, but rust was also involved. The wire wheel would kinda spread the bits of undercoating that was left.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2020, 12:10 PM   #13
onlinebiker
Advanced Member

I was seeing if I could get the mess off so I could weld in new metal. Removing the paint is a moot point. If you don't scrape it - you burn it off when welding.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2020, 04:24 PM   #14
hholbein
hholbein will become famous soon enoughhholbein will become famous soon enough

1997 SW2

Quote:

The FluidFilm stuff is Lanolin-based -- basically, wool wax or wool grease from sheep. I didn't know it drips off, but it's pretty benign stuff compared to other undercoatings. Also, I don't think FF traps salts and water as other treatments do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hholbein's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hholbein reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hholbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #15
Macgyver
Advanced Member
Macgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to allMacgyver is a name known to all

1995 SC2
2001 SL1

I've been using Fluid Film for years on my cars and it doesn't drip unless you really pile it on in one area. It's way too thick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Macgyver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Macgyver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #16
454cid

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
I was seeing if I could get the mess off so I could weld in new metal. Removing the paint is a moot point. If you don't scrape it - you burn it off when welding.
Ok I understand now.... you are looking at a specific repair, not just thinking about future possibility.

1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #17
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

A gasket scraper seems to work the best ...for the areas you are able to reach with a gasket scraper. They can be re-sharpened with a file. So, they work as a rust scraper if you use them along with a hammer.

I de-undercoated a car by making a very, very shallow swimming pool under it using big scraps of landfill liner. So, if you’re not some poor goober standing around doing nothing but watching landfill construction, you probably won’t have big car-sized scraps of landfill liner. Try heavy Visqueen**

As far as applying undercoating, use POR15 if you are able. If not, use undercoating. The rubberized stuff is for sound-deadening, or to be applied over the top of something that actually prevents rust. I think most people use the rubberized stuff because they think wheel wells should be black (appearance only). ...but I could be wrong.

**Visqueen is a brand of polyethylene plastic sheeting (typically low-density polyethylene) produced by British Polythene Industries Limited. It is the registered trade mark of British Polythene Limited in numerous countries throughout the world.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:02 PM   #18
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Gosh! I feel left out. My car has no rust or need for an undercoating.

Saturn 1998 - SL2 automatic
Singer 1952 - 301A knee driven

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:55 PM   #19
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macgyver View Post
I've been using Fluid Film for years on my cars and it doesn't drip unless you really pile it on in one area. It's way too thick.
How often do you reapply FF? What about areas that are already rusted?

Mostly I am bumping older threads to move the spam down

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote