SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
SLfun
Advanced Member
SLfun will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line
Default Throttle always sticks a bit DOHC

So ya, the throttle on my SL has always been a bit sticky off idle, esp in the colder weather. I have serviced it several times, usually by just removing the intake tube and scrubbing it out with a toothbrush and solvent, sometimes I remove the TB and thoroughly clean it.

It's usually fine for a bit, but lately it gets sticky again sooner and sooner without really getting that dirty inside. Is there some other adjustment I can make? Runs fine otherwise.

My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLfun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLfun is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: Throttle always sticks a bit DOHC

Could it be the throttle cable that is sticking?

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #3
SLfun
Advanced Member

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
Could it be the throttle cable that is sticking?
Checked that, it's not. I think it may be that the throttle plate is binding in the bore a bit, a result of my coming off the gas real quick when I shift for years causing the throttle to slam shut 1000's of times?
Was wondering whether I should perhaps use the stop screw to adjust it a tad....

My 96 SL2 and 98 SL1 have joined together to become one. So I guess I now have a 1996/8
SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SLfun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2020, 03:02 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

It sticks because the engine burns oil and the PCV valve pulls the oily mess back into the intake which coats the throttle plate in oily goo.

Don't mess with the stop screw, it's more annoying than it's worth to get the idle back where it belongs if you do.

You can try one of those fixed orfice PCV valves and see if that helps extend the time between cleanings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:03 PM   #5
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Don't adjust the screw. Easy enough to pop the throttle body and either clean or replace it.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:41 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The factory adjusted throttle stop screw never closes the throttle plate. If you examine your throttle you should see it slightly opened unless someone before you misadjusted it. It's never fully closed at any time.

Adjusted from the factory, throttle plate opening with the bypass air port blocked off is set for 500-600 rpm. You'll never be able to adjust the throttle stop screw unless the bypass air port is blocked, the hole in front of the throttle plate that allows air to bypass the throttle plate. Bypass air flows thru Internal passages to the idle air control valve where its controlled by the pcm. The pcm adjusts the iacv for idle rpm for electronically controlled idle, not the throttle stop screw. And if you are observant, the difference between blocked bypass port/throttle stop screw idle and final idle being higher is the supplemental air controlled by the iacv for idle.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:57 PM   #7
SLfun
Advanced Member

1998 SL2
2006 ION Red Line

So I had a closer look and indeed the throttle plate was mechanically binding in the throttle bore. The plate has worn a grove in the bore and the plate is getting stuck in it.

I know it's ill advised, but the only way I could fix it was to tighten the throttle position stop screw. With a quarter turn the throttle moves freely now since the plate no longer gets stuck in the bore.

The idle has barely changed, maybe it's gone up 50-100 rpm? Does not matter too much for me since the car is manual.

I'll be scanning the junk yards for another TB. For now the car runs much better.

SL1-2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2020, 08:43 PM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

In the real world, nothing is ill advised when you have to do things not recommended to make things work. There's the book and reality.

All the men and women in NASA's space program including every subcontractor never anticipated when Apollo 13 blew up its liquid oxygen tank while performing a routine stirring operation to gauge levels. A simple routine with internal tank wiring burned years earlier and going unannounced without a clue to danger occurred at the worst time possible. NASA and engineers worked day and night to create a way to bring home three astronauts leaving for the moon and returning in one piece. The phrase "failure is not an option" befits a crisis no one can anticipate.

Your adjustment to crack open throttle a little more is probably well within the adjustment margin for the pcm to accommodate it by automatically readjusting the iacv. While not discussed much, the pcm in my opinion has the ability to adjust for wear and tear like the groove worn into the throttle bore.

As long as idle and overall engine running hasn't changed drastically, you may not have to buy a replacement throttle body.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:52 PM   #9
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLfun View Post

I'll be scanning the junk yards for another TB. For now the car runs much better.

LOL - I have one. I should have just shipped you then carcass of my parts car.

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2020, 08:56 PM   #10
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
LOL - I have one.
I can see more bootleg parts crossing the border!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:16 PM   #11
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I can see more bootleg parts crossing the border!
Nah, he's from Ontario. I'm slowly unloading my parts bins into his 98 Sedan one shipment at a time. Canada Post is winning; making more money than me.

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!