SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2020, 09:12 PM   #6381
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusofheart View Post
After getting the front end worked on last week (control arms and outer tie rods) I had an alignment done today. No more squeaks, grunts and complaining noises from the front end. I am surprised and blessed at how well this car drives at 21 years old.
Hey, I just did that too!

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2020, 03:45 PM   #6382
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Put on winter tires.
And
On the way home, pulled-off the road to let three BAT GUANO CRAZY drivers leap ahead to tailgate the pace car. Christmas’s goodwill is gone. The bat guano crazies are back on the local roads

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #6383
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

https://youtu.be/sF0L8XDkMJs

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:52 PM   #6384
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Not so much of a "what did you do to" post, but I moved a 14' 3" extension ladder to my hangar. My Dodge Ram has a dead starter.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200104_101828922.jpg (89.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200104_101841275.jpg (87.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200104_102537094.jpg (76.1 KB, 66 views)

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #6385
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

OK Guys - this will give you a giggle.

A short time ago I replaced my headlights and was pretty happy with how they came out. Unfortunately, I had failed to see a plastic 'hook' that helped hold the headlight into place properly and had to redo them last night. I was wondering why they were in a little different position than the old ones. Details, details.

At least I am able to alter a business suit, make a wedding dress, or design Renaissance costumes properly.

Saturn 1998 - SL2 automatic
Singer 1952 - 301A knee driven

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:19 PM   #6386
454cid
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by focusofheart View Post
A short time ago I replaced my headlights and was pretty happy with how they came out. Unfortunately, I had failed to see a plastic 'hook' that helped hold the headlight into place properly and had to redo them last night. I was wondering why they were in a little different position than the old ones. Details, details.

Thanks for that.... I'm expecting my new lights soon.

2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 454cid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 454cid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #6387
me.theuser
me.theuser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2001 SL2

Its been over the weekend not today but...

2002 SL1 SOHC auto 199,999
JDM ASTAR 9005 LED lights for the low beams (Amazon)

(Rockauto)---------------
LCA - Mevotech
Swaybar bushings - ACDELCO
front struts (rears will be next week brand: FCS quick strut)
passenger wheel bearing - MOOG
-----------------------------
Tensioner pulley (Napa, seems legit)
Idler pulley (Autozone, YUCK) will be pressing new bearing into the OE later
passenger halfshaft (Autozone)

Prepped the surface rust on undercarriage with wire wheel
sprayed on metal prep (rust converter HomeDepot)
painted the under carriage with rustoleum

I just recently put this car on the road 1 month ago or so
its been sitting in my garage for the last 4 years, I bought for $400 with a supposed bad auto trans but the body was extra clean just some surface rust.
It was originally to be a donor for my SL2 DOHC manual but, when I started looking at it, the trans filter was loose and line pressure solenoid was bad so its been waiting for me to get around to it :P

Notes:
The LED lights made so much difference (hopefully they last)
JUST WOW!

So far the car has burned a 3/4 of a quart in 2500 miles I think some of that is coming from the valve cover but I'll run it a bit before I decide to mess with it

The driverside mevotech lca popped the bottom cap when I put in the grease (no I didn't overfill it either, the boot didn't even puff up)
SO I'm going have to replace it again as soon as a new one shows up
I specifically picked these because they were grease-able and I'm kinda ticked I now have to do it again

The FCS struts seem to be pretty good quality and they don't squeak while turning either.
I picked up the quickstruts because this car has the OE springs (SL2 broke one and nearly destroyed a tire years ago)
The OE struts were actually pretty good so I'll save them and replace the springs later

According to maintenance records Monroe did the brakes on this car last
they torqued the ever-living **** out of the brake guide pins!
I had to destroy the drivers side top to get it out even with a torch luckily the others came out with impact, heat persuasion and PB blaster
brakes look new at least and I ground the head of the top pin to 12mm to get it by till next weekend

Last edited by me.theuser; 01-06-2020 at 03:43 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to me.theuser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help me.theuser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
me.theuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:47 PM   #6388
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by me.theuser View Post
The driverside mevotech lca popped the bottom cap when I put in the grease (no I didn't overfill it either, the boot didn't even puff up)
SO I'm going have to replace it again as soon as a new one shows up
I specifically picked these because they were grease-able and I'm kinda ticked I now have to do it again
I put in the same pair of control arms last July and have the same exact problem as you. The drivers side control arm wouldn't take any grease. I even bought second one and that one didn't take grease either. (Maybe there was a bad batch of drivers side control arms made?) I've honestly been driving without grease this entire time...It's not clunking or handling weird and I didn't really want to do it a 3rd time. I'll probably fix it in the spring when I do my brakes.

I'd recommend a different brand though.

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:01 PM   #6389
me.theuser

2002 SL1
2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
I put in the same pair of control arms last July and have the same exact problem as you. The drivers side control arm wouldn't take any grease. I even bought second one and that one didn't take grease either. (Maybe there was a bad batch of drivers side control arms made?) I've honestly been driving without grease this entire time...It's not clunking or handling weird and I didn't really want to do it a 3rd time. I'll probably fix it in the spring when I do my brakes.

Oh GREAT!! I guess I'll try adding some grease before I even bother putting it on.

The passenger side already had the zerk installed whereas the drivers side I had to install it myself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help me.theuser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-06-2020, 11:47 PM   #6390
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Quote:
Oh GREAT!! I guess I'll try adding some grease before I even bother putting it on.

The passenger side already had the zerk installed whereas the drivers side I had to install it myself
I don't think either of mine had the fitting on yet iirc. It would be interesting to hear though if your new control arm works or not.

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:01 AM   #6391
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

We put mevotechs on the '99, and greased them before installation. No issues.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2020, 01:11 AM   #6392
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I was well trained to purchase either NAPA Premium or Chassis Parts by my Dad and my hubby has reinforced that training, all due to their positive experiences with NAPA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-07-2020, 01:30 AM   #6393
me.theuser

2002 SL1
2001 SL2

The napa premium is $70 ea and non grease-able it'd double the price of the job
although I am doing the drivers side twice now....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2020, 03:13 AM   #6394
focusofheart

1998 SL2

Quote:
The napa premium is $70 ea and non grease-able it'd double the price of the job
although I am doing the drivers side twice now....
Just sharing -
The original sealed lower control arms were just replaced at almost 220,000 miles, so I am comfortable having new sealed replacements. The new outer tie rods, I had replaced, do have fittings for grease as the originals did. I will make sure they are lubed every few months, as I failed to do that with the prior set due to lack of information.

This forum is a great source for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #6395
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
I put Mevotech Supreme's on my 99 SL2 as well. The one think that bugged me is you had to take the wheels off to grease them. There's no room to get the grease gun fitting in there. I changed the grease zerks to 90 degree zerks and resolved the issue.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:14 AM   #6396
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
I put Mevotech Supreme's on my 99 SL2 as well. The one think that bugged me is you had to take the wheels off to grease them. There's no room to get the grease gun fitting in there. I changed the grease zerks to 90 degree zerks and resolved the issue.
Awesome tip, thanks. Wish I knew earlier!

My greased for lifetime control arms had no grease in them when we took them off.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2020, 10:41 AM   #6397
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Not so much of a "what did you do to" post, but I moved a 14' 3" extension ladder to my hangar. My Dodge Ram has a dead starter.

It would be interesting to hear nthe discussion at your insurance agent - trying to figure out how you broke your windshield when rear ended - with no damage to the back....

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:52 AM   #6398
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post

I just bought a pair of Mevotech Lower Control Arms from RockAuto (specifically because they are greaseable and they showed up with the fittings already installed) and plan to installl them soon - I will certainly try greasing these before putting them on. I've never done a job like this and am using RichPins video as my guide.

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:18 AM   #6399
me.theuser

2002 SL1
2001 SL2

The passenger side was really easy due to the builtin oil change lubrication
but on the drivers I had to use the air hammer to get that inner bolt out of the bushing

I made sure to put a little anti-seize on the shoulders of the bolts when I put it back together and I cleaned up the end of the stabilizer bar with a wire wheel and put a little dab of silicone grease on them

I also had some issue getting them lined up to go back together but a ratchet strap did the trick

looking at his video yep thats the ticket.. wish I had thought of setting the strap before I took the old ones out :P

If you do try greasing them before putting them on don't overdo it
the mevotechs do have a ring to hold on the boot but you usually don't grease them till they are installed

For that matter don't overdo it once they are installed either

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2020, 11:36 AM   #6400
Zeebins
Advanced Member

1997 SL2

I was just looking at control arms on rock auto and the Mevotech arm listed doesn’t even claim to be grease-able. Looking at the pics there is no spot for the zerk fitting either. Maybe it’s a mistake in the listing? I do remember getting them because the they could be greased but I don’t remember if the listing ever actually mentioned it or not.

97 SL2, auto, 117K miles