SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
jbnnthorn
jbnnthorn is on a distinguished road

Default 1.9L SOHC compression/ pressure from blow-by

I have a 2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC I purchased with a cracked head. I had the head redone and reinstalled it. After driving it about 1,000 miles the valve cover and timing cover started to leak. I had replaced the PCV valve. I am thinking the seals blew due to blow-by. I would say the engine used about a quart of oil over the 1,000 miles. The engine has about 145,000 miles. If I pull the PCV valve it has a light gray coating I can wipe off. I wouldn't call it oil. I also lightly blew air through the bypass in the valve cover to be sure it wasn't blocked.

If I do a COLD compression test now I get:
#1 160
#2 155
#3 150
#4 160

WARM I get
#1 130 - 160 if I add oil
#2 150
#3 162
#4 160

Is it possible the ring is stuck on #1 or just worn out?

My daughter uses this at college about 2 hours away and I can't always check the oil. We recently used and drove it locally a few times and it was down like a third of a quart. I resealed the valve cover prior to that but not the timing cover. It has a few drops under the car when you park it now after driving it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jbnnthorn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jbnnthorn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jbnnthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: 1.9L SOHC compression/ pressure from blow-by

Good compression should be in the 175-205 range for an SOHC S Series and all should be within 10 of each other. Your engine appears to be worn and its probable that all the rings or valves are leaking.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

Last edited by trottida; 01-03-2020 at 01:15 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
jbnnthorn
jbnnthorn is on a distinguished road

Agree, The lower end is worn as I mentioned the head was redone. It is more important to have them all 4 close together than it is any one number. My compression gauge is 30 years old so it could be off a bit.

I was wondering about something like this thread on piston soaking when I was asking (233961). If I had all 4 at 155 to 160 I think it would make a difference. It won't let me copy the URL.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jbnnthorn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jbnnthorn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jbnnthorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-Lecture your daughter the Saturn hymnal often used in the S-series owner community; check the oil at every gas fill up or at least every other fill up. If she can't afford gas then at least check the oil to be sure it doesn't go below the dipstick. She'll need to learn the minimum oil check necessity in her college life otherwise she'll learn the hard way of car neglect with a costly outcome, losing a car.

2-Being far away and unable to work on a car with 140k miles and low compression may qualify for choosing one of several oil treatments that may help loosen any crud in piston rings to help raise compression. Many threads cover this area with many suggestions. Some expensive, some moderately priced, the rest low cost. If not a winter car, using high viscosity oil may be the lowest cost temporary solution to raising compression.

3-You can post URLs as a newbie by not copying and pasting the link but typing the address in plain text and placing spaces to separate the address so it won't be recognized as a link new members try when spamming. Once you surpass 15 posts, you'll be able to copy and paste links.

VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 01-04-2020 at 04:00 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:20 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Leaky timing cover could cause a lot (relatively) of oil loss while driving with minimal drops showing on the floor when parked.

I didn't get the mating surfaces clean enough first time I did it, used a lot of oil when driving but not seeing a lot on the ground. After a reseal, cleaning with pure acetone, oil usage dropped dramatically.

(bumping p2 threads to push spam threads down)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote