SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default A sad day- Goodbye SL

After 22.5 years, I am selling my beloved SL.

It will probably be gone today. I fixed the head gasket this summer, but it's leaking oil into coolant again.
I'm not getting much for it, but I don't want to go through that repair again. Worse, I don't know what's wrong with it.

Here's the link > https://mobile.craigslist.org/cto/d/...038471120.html

I can deal with selling it, but I can't find anything to replace it that is as simple. So I'll probably get by with my (new) Cannondale Trail 29er, my Suzuki Burgman 400, or if necessary, wife's Kia Forte. Or I'll rent a car for Ohio trips.

It's been an interesting hobby these 22.5 years. And this is a great forum

Per my high school algebra teacher, "Onward, onward, never looking back".

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2019, 04:44 PM   #2
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2
Default Re: A sad day- Goodbye SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNW View Post
After 22.5 years, I am selling my beloved SL.
Maybe you'll find a nice SL2? You might catch yourself scanning craigslist, eBay and Letgo (like I do) for entertainment.

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

If I could figure out what's wrong with it, I'd keep it. But the next step would probably be to tear down the engine = $$$$$$$$$.

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Bummer - it's been a long road.

I agree with dummo, find myself scanning occasionally - and I have no space /need for another Saturn

Never heard of letgo, now I have another place to check for stuff!

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:48 PM   #5
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Too bad, with your back up against the wall so to speak, too bad you haven't tried BlueDevil Head Gasket repair$25 at Walmart.

Why just give up?

I used it once on my 8 cyl dakota and it fixed it for 9 years. I then sold the vehicle but the 9 year old repair was still sound. It is a ceramic seal and works.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...67.c4dbAhpa7GA

OR,
Go with a 2014 Nissan Versa or Versa Note. A true 40+ mpg, really comfortable front seats for long trips and reasonable repair-ability. Got one for my daughter a while back and it is nice. My 1st foreign car since my Audi 5000S in 1979.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #6
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

When you did the head gasket, did you put a new head on it with a new camshaft? I speak from past experiences that it's a good idea to replace the cam when replacing the head. If you don't, the old cam gets the journals of the new head scored and causes the same problem all over. Back in the day a field service engineer told us to put a new camshaft in when replacing the cylinder head for this reason.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
rgrafton
rgrafton is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1

I really have been wanting a SL2 or SC2. Harder to find and people try to get too much money for them when you do find them.

2002 SC1 5 speed 140k miles
1994 SL 5 speed 150k miles on engine (250k+ miles on car, tranny...etc.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rgrafton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rgrafton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rgrafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:40 PM   #8
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Very sorry to hear that news, Mike.

As it turns out, just recently read about a car with attractive mileage, although it is diesel. Might want to check out the review in two short following threads.
I'm familiar with the guy who wrote the review from a pickup truck forum; he was knowledgeable, honest & articulate.... {of course there are lots of car possibilities - I was just real impressed with the mileage. I never thought I'd think diesel again after the VW- related issues.}

(1) https://www.thedieselpageforums.com/...ad.php?t=43016

(2) https://www.thedieselpageforums.com/...ad.php?t=45015

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 05:34 PM   #9
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

Well I sold the beloved SL today. Young kid who works on cars, maybe he can fix it.

Cruze diesel sounds like it was made for me But we already bought the '16 Forte so price is a bit high for a second car.

Versas are my kind of car too. I would like an automatic but not a CVT.

No, I didn't replace camshaft with a new one.

I didn't think of adding Miracle Head Gasket schizz.

I just didn't want to tear into it again, hence the sale.

Still looking for a first-gen Rabbit, a Cabrio would be the best

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!