SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2019, 05:06 PM   #1
ZepSL2
ZepSL2 is on a distinguished road

Default Dim driver side headlight fuses checked but strange behavior

i have a dim driver side headlight low beam and high beam dim it also appears the daytime running lights (high beam at what half power?) are not working either side. (unless parking brake needs to be off for them to turn on?)

When i pulled the Left side fuse no change which surprised me i thought the driver side would go out but it stayed on but dim

When i pulled the right side fuse as expected the passenger side went out but unexpectedly the driver side went out also. I swapped fuses no change and i even put a spare fuse in to make sure. it doesn't appear to be a fuse issue

the turn signal works on the dim side and appears to be normal brightness.

what heck is going on?

1999 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ZepSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ZepSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ZepSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2019, 05:20 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Dim driver side headlight fuses checked but strange behavior

Sounds like a poor ground issue.

Just curious too, have you released the parking brake and observed this also? And does the dash RED brake light go off when the parking brake is released?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 07:29 PM   #3
ZepSL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Sounds like a poor ground issue.

Just curious too, have you released the parking brake and observed this also? And does the dash RED brake light go off when the parking brake is released?
no I didn't release parking brake and that's why i added the part about parking brake. Yes red light goes off but i know from driving before. when i tested this in driveway a few hours ago i never released brake. Just started up and stuck car in neutral and tested.

What i wanna know is WHERE is the current coming from if the left fuse is pulled so that the driver side light are still on but dim? No fuse it should only be ground side reaching the bulbs i would have thought. With fuse pulled it is still dim so that to me means it is getting ground side but wire must be open/short from fuse box to bulb?

I also see the DRL relay is on the right side wiring only. strange.

1999 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ZepSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-09-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

I would first take off the parking/emergency hand brake; that needs to be OFF for the DRL circuitry to work, and come on.
The DRLs run through their under the hood relay, then current flows in series to the high beams at 6vdc. You enable and disable the DRL via the parking brake, which if headlamps are turned on, then the same headlights are now powered in parallel to deliver current at 12vdc. Nice huh?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:10 AM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

DRL wiring diagram - http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...wiring+diagram, post#2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:48 AM   #6
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Check the bulbs.
Rumor has it that some people upgrade the passenger side bulb to “obnoxious bright F_U World!”, but leave the driver’s side stock factory O.E.M. out of courtesy to oncoming drivers in a feeble attempt to make-up for past egregious sins. At least that’s what I heard.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #7
ZepSL2

Quote:
I would first take off the parking/emergency hand brake; that needs to be OFF for the DRL circuitry to work, and come on.
The DRLs run through their under the hood relay, then current flows in series to the high beams at 6vdc. You enable and disable the DRL via the parking brake, which if headlamps are turned on, then the same headlights are now powered in parallel to deliver current at 12vdc. Nice huh?
interesting

well tested the DRLs this morning neither side works. Put car in neutral
released parking brake. red light goes on dash get out of car go look
and no DRLs BOTH not working. Since i know the passengers side low and high beams work im assuming the DRL relay is hosed?

thoughts?

1999 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
ZepSL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
nice thanks

it looks like the left side fuse should cut all + current? or am i missing something. Ill have to study that more later i just quick glanced it right now as i wanted to reply to everyone first lol

1999 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #9
ZepSL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Check the bulbs.
Rumor has it that some people upgrade the passenger side bulb to “obnoxious bright F_U World!”, but leave the driver’s side stock factory O.E.M. out of courtesy to oncoming drivers in a feeble attempt to make-up for past egregious sins. At least that’s what I heard.
i swapped bulbs and both high beam and low beams bulbs still do it.
And the bulbs were fine on other side.

1999 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #10
ZepSL2

Quote:
more info I just went out and tested in the dark the DRL's are on but very dim. I thought they were totally out in day light. all lights are dim and on when i did just DRL test. It should be just the high beams at half power right?

Low beams on the passenger side low beam works fine but the high beam is on too but dim and the drivers side are all dim. If i put high beams on then passenger side high beam works fine but the low beam stays on but dim. That should be off right right? driver side all on all dim as always.

I swapped the DRL relay from my other Saturn and no change. That is a working relay for sure cause other Saturn is fine.

if i put the parking brake on the DRL go off nothing is lit up. So that works except its just dim and everything is on not just high beams.

1999 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!