SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

Default Tires, how long do the original Goodyears last?

My 2008 Astra XE5 has 74,200 miles on it. It has Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires on it. As I remember, those were the tires, (made in Slovakia), put on the Astras at the factory. My car was manufactured in October of 2007 and the tire production dates read a couple of different weeks in August 2007. The cars lineage is sketchy, as I have few service records or receipts and bought it from Smiley's Used (up) Car Sales late last year. Could they be the tires that were originally put on the car it's birthday from accross the pond? The tread has not yet been run down to nothing but they sure feel like six year old tires. Meaning that they are pretty much useless in any amount of snow and cornering in the rain has lead to some unintended drifting. Yes, the rubber has hardened a bit. I don't know, please give me your stories of how many miles or kilometers you have milked out of your factory Goodyears. It is a burning question of mine. I need to go to a tire store because Winter is coming.

Paul

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 CEL Special Edition, 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Tires, how long do the original Goodyears last?

i had a 07 aura xr new that came with goodyear ls2s. when i traded it in with 81000 miles it still had the original tires. they were worn to about 4/32 and 5/32.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
dmsutter
dmsutter is on a distinguished road

My Goodyear tires have 78k miles on them. The first winter I had to go with dedicated snow tires as the Goodyear tires were worthless in snow. The Michelin x-ice snow tires have been great. Changing back to snows next week, snow tires have 17k and still in great shape. dedicated steel rims with pressure sensors make change easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dmsutter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dmsutter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dmsutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #4
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

I'm at about 43k on the factory LS2's, and they look pretty fresh. I could believe that kind of mileage on these tires. That said, I'll be looking for a different tire when they finally give up the ghost. The LS2's just don't have an abundance of grip on wet roads, even when they were new. I also agree they're pretty lousy on snow.

We got 82k on our original set of General tires on our VUE GL. Seems like tires - even cheapo ones like these - last a lot longer than they used to.

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

You won't get a precise answer, because it all depends on what kind of driving you do -- specifically, how often you are on the gas, brakes, or turning hard. My OEM 17" Hankooks have over 140,000 kms (87,000 miles) on them and still have 4-5mm (5-6/32") of tread still remaining. All thanks to a standard transmission and 95% highway driving.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #6
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

And then again my Hankooks lasted me on 30,000km because I used to drive and fast.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #7
PaulR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
You won't get a precise answer, because it all depends on what kind of driving you do -- specifically, how often you are on the gas, brakes, or turning hard. My OEM 17" Hankooks have over 140,000 kms (87,000 miles) on them and still have 4-5mm (5-6/32") of tread still remaining. All thanks to a standard transmission and 95% highway driving.
From hearing from you guys, I could believe that LS2's on my car have that kind of mileage. It is interesting though, since the car came from the Toronto, Ontario area, that the owner put up with those tires on that car in that climate for that long. I most often drive for economy. When I approach a stoplight or stop sign I will let my foot off of the gas well before the stop line. When possible, on a downgrade exit ramp I will start coasting as I leave the highway lane and come to a gradual stop. The normal driver around here will go like hell and then brake at the last 50 feet. No jack rabbit starts either. The only thing that would possibly lead to more than the usual tread wear is that a lot of times I corner fast. You should see me through a traffic circle, or "roundabout", as they call them here. It is kind of fun when the big pick up trucks and SUV's try to follow me through corners and I swear as I watch them in the rear view mirror, that they are going to tip over or something. Hah ha. Thanks for every ones input on the subject.

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #8
XR5midnight
XR5midnight is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I just replaced the OE Eagles LS2s on my 2008 XR @ ca 51,000 miles. (The car basically had little or no miles when I bought it in 2009). There was still plenty of wear (ca. 10,00 miles? ) left on one pair, put the others were getting close to the limit & winter was on the horizons. I replaced them with Continental PureContact, which have transformed the whole feel of the car. There is less outright grip, but its much quieter and more 'mature' and NO TRAMLINING -- the front end used to pull and tug over the most minor surface changes. Haven't had a chance to assess how they perform in rain & snow, but are supposed to be good.

BTW: I went with a 60 rather than 55 profile, to reduce revs in 5th & reduce fuel consumption on the highway. Also makes the car feel more torquey around town.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XR5midnight's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XR5midnight reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XR5midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 07:19 AM   #9
Eric12775
Eric12775 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

I'm at just over 70k miles. I'm waiting on my bonus check to come in before I get new tires but I defiantly need them. And its my wifes daily driver so I'm not going to go cheap on tires also, my son will start driving it late next year. BTW I'm also changing the brakes for the first time in this car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eric12775's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eric12775 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eric12775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:23 PM   #10
PaulR

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR5midnight View Post
I just replaced the OE Eagles LS2s on my 2008 XR @ ca 51,000 miles. (The car basically had little or no miles when I bought it in 2009). There was still plenty of wear (ca. 10,00 miles? ) left on one pair, put the others were getting close to the limit & winter was on the horizons. I replaced them with Continental PureContact, which have transformed the whole feel of the car. There is less outright grip, but its much quieter and more 'mature' and NO TRAMLINING -- the front end used to pull and tug over the most minor surface changes. Haven't had a chance to assess how they perform in rain & snow, but are supposed to be good.

BTW: I went with a 60 rather than 55 profile, to reduce revs in 5th & reduce fuel consumption on the highway. Also makes the car feel more torquey around town.
I just ordered a set of Dunlop Signature II's for the XE 5 door. They were highly rated by consumers that purchased them from The Tire Rack and are reasonably priced. I bought them at Sears and with an employee (my Dads) discount and with black Friday savings, the set is going to be under $400 installed. The Continental PureContact with Eco Plus Technology is rated almost at the top of the chart and I did consider them for a low rolling resistance tire. I will let you know how the Dunlop's work out. On another subject but still on tires, I am a little surprised at how much, or how little, that new replacement Pirelli P Zero "Rossos?" cost that came installed on my XR3. The Tire Rack is listing them at $133 a piece for size 215/45R18 right now. I have not checked Discount Tire yet because they may even sell them for less. I had weird thoughts that when it was time to replace them, they were going to cost a lot more than that.

PaulR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #11
bdubs
bdubs is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

my astra didn't come with OEM tires but it came with an OEM replacement (cooper something). I hate them. My beef with OEM Tires is the build them to lat for 70k+ miles. This means low rolling resistance and hard tire compound. Perfectly fine for normal driving conditions in the dry

however

When the temperature drops below 40F or the roads get wet they are useless due to the hard tire compound and super stiff blocks. Which again, most people don't car about. I live in MN so I just about need winter tires 5 mo out of the year anyways. I would much rather have a decent "summer performance" tire for the summer that allows for the spirited driving the astra is so good at.

I'm very tempted to remove my almost new cooper tires in the spring and replace them with something a little more "fun".

in summary...OEM tire suck...unless you live in a place where it never rains or gets below 40F

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdubs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdubs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bdubs is offline   Reply With Quote