SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #61
Terra Nova
Terra Nova is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Bad coilpack, VERY expensive part

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatfire6 View Post
First - I would really like to recommend www.rockauto.com for
your parts. It is a great starting place to buy parts online for your car, and the
catalog is plentiful.
Heard a TON of great things about www.rockauto.com....and from a variety of other sites.

Even with more expensive int'l shipping to north of the 49th , it's still amazing the number of fellow Canadians I've heard from on other sites who regularly order from that site...so I can assume that even after duty and shipping it's still may be a great value proposition...even for us..

Often wondered if ordering things like brake pads / rotors ( of OEM quality or a bit better ) from Rockauto might make sense at all.

Quote:
Second - Correct, our car is the equivalent to the Astra H/Mark 5. Don't
confuse engine parts either - they also have a Z18XE out there, and the engine
is much different than the XER. Most of the other non-engine H/MK5
parts will just bolt right on to our cars.
Great insights ..thanks !

I guess I can only hope that the guys on these UK sites have a good handle on what non-engine H/MK5 parts would bolt on to our engines and which don't......cause I'd have no clue.

Like Astra La Vista alluded to, unless you know exactly what part you're ordering, you might be at mercy of these UK sites...taking a chance they won't send the wrong part.

Quote:
Third - If you have found that the value in buying parts overseas is in
your favor, understand that nearly every Vauxhall dealer will ship you parts if
you are willing to pay the costs of postage. LMF is a good source you use and
they have parts available that aren't listed on the website, so you'll need to
email them. I personally used Quest Motor Group out in Braintree, Essex for all of
the OEM parts I wanted, and they had really good prices in comparison.
Did you find Quest Motor Group out in Braintree, Essex to be substantially cheaper than LMF ?

- 2008 Silver Astra 3dr ' XR ' 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Terra Nova's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Terra Nova reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #62
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Is there a site where I can easily access the relevant OEM GM part numbers, or would I presumably have to get the OEM GM part numbers from a GM dealership first ( i.e via a quote ) and then do my Googling / cross-referencing from that point on ?
If you read the 1st post of this thread: part number is 10458316
I've also attached a link.
Here is a cheap version from Asia.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:36 PM   #63
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Is there a site where I can easily access the relevant OEM GM part numbers, or would I presumably have to get the OEM GM part numbers from a GM dealership first ( i.e via a quote ) and then do my Googling / cross-referencing from that point on ?
This is a good site. Just open a thread or PM me for part numbers - I have an Electronic Parts Catalog for Vauxhall/Opel vehicles. There is also Nalley Buick GMC that lists illustrations and part codes (and you can order direct from them). Some of the parts are not obvious and may take quite a bit of time to find if you don't know where to look for them. It is hit or miss if the dealer will give you the part numbers.

Quote:
Did you find Quest Motor Group out in Braintree, Essex to be substantially cheaper than LMF ?
Their value was in the shipping. I don't know how, but they always had the best price quotes when it came to posting parts. I don't know if that has changed because it has been years since I've last organized a group buy for parts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #64
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
This site works: http://parts.nalleygmc.com/. There are others.

Then, simply cut & paste the part number(s) directly into the Google search engine. You might get the odd response, but if you happen to be looking for an OEM timing belt for our engines (as an example), plugging in "93180815" into Google gets you this (awww, look at the lonely little red trailer).

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:01 PM   #65
phatfire6
Advanced Member
phatfire6 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

uhh Astra La Vista... You didn't happen to miss the thread just above yours? Yeah, we posted the same link.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to phatfire6's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help phatfire6 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
phatfire6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:44 AM   #66
SPM
SPM is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Paid $380 for mine in the USA. What a joke. It was after market too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SPM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SPM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #67
SPM

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gssaturn View Post
Last Friday, the coilpack on my 2008 astra xr with 55000 km failed. i had it verified at the local gm dealer here in Windsor. Cost me $55.
the warranty for the coilpack is only 36 months or 60000 km. It is not considered under emissions. Only the ecm and cat are warranted to 100000km.
the cost to have the dealer replace the coilpack is $1051 (coilpack) + installation + taxes for a total of $1359 cdn. Ripoff! I said NO WAY! I told them that i would purchase aftermarket.
it is easy to remove & replace.
I ordered a new coilpack (standard motor products) from rockauto. cost is about $335 including shipping to detroit. it arrived in detroit this afrernoon. will pick up tomorrow.
LOL @ installation. They take off the plastic piece on the engine, loosen 2 screws, lift up the coil pack, replace it with the new one, tighten the 2 screws and put the plastic piece back on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SPM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SPM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #68
atweibel
atweibel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanilla sky View Post
I just can't for the life of me fathom why someone wouldn't maintain their own Astra.
Uhhhh because some of us don't know crap about working on cars? Of COURSE it's cheaper to do it yourself, you save the labor and diagnostic costs. But that isn't always an option for everyone. Lack of knowledge, lack of time, lack of desire, having tons of money (in which case you're not driving an astra).

As for the issues described, I had all the same on mine at 78k. Needed a timing belt, ignition coil blew which blew all of the sparkplugs. Shop Quote $1500.

Now had I done it myself I'm sure it could have dropped to 5-600. But I rely on the expertise of others. And before anyone starts firing back on how I should suck it up and just learn how to do it myself, consider all the other stuff you rely on people to do: grow your food, blend the metals to build your car parts, pick up your kids from school when you can't, fix your roads, etc.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atweibel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atweibel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:55 PM   #69
ATM
ATM is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

What happens to the coil pack that makes it go bad? I did my first spark plug change today (34xxx miles) and the coil pack looked good. Do the rubber boots crack or is there some electronics inside?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ATM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ATM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ATM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #70
SPM

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATM View Post
What happens to the coil pack that makes it go bad? I did my first spark plug change today (34xxx miles) and the coil pack looked good. Do the rubber boots crack or is there some electronics inside?
It goes bad inside

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SPM's Reputation
Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 PM   #71
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM View Post
It goes bad inside
Ignition coils are basically spools of fine lacquer-coated wire. Electricity flowing through these windings eventually breaks down this coating and the wire shorts out with itself in one or more places, effectively reducing the coil's internal resistance. This results in more current flow, accelerating the breakdown, until the pack is so badly degraded that it no longer performs as it should.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #72
SPM

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
Ignition coils are basically spools of fine lacquer-coated wire. Electricity flowing through these windings eventually breaks down this coating and the wire shorts out with itself in one or more places, effectively reducing the coil's internal resistance. This results in more current flow, accelerating the breakdown, until the pack is so badly degraded that it no longer performs as it should.
I am assuming you are trying to say that the interior of the coil packs do not "go bad", if I am misunderstanding you please correct me. However there are a variety of things that can go wrong on the interior of the coil pack including corrosion, erosion of the interior insulation (causing the reduction of internal resistance as you have stated), or other general internal failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SPM's Reputation
Old 10-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #73
Astra La Vista!

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPM View Post
I am assuming you are trying to say that the interior of the coil packs do not "go bad", if I am misunderstanding you please correct me. However there are a variety of things that can go wrong on the interior of the coil pack including corrosion, erosion of the interior insulation (causing the reduction of internal resistance as you have stated), or other general internal failure.
Assumption incorrect. An ignition coil failure is almost always internal in nature -- short of an actual external housing crack or puncture. Today's coils are often buried deep inside the head where they receive very little cooling (unlike a traditional single external coil set-up that would be exposed to fresh air). Thankfully, modern coilpacks actually have to work less hard and build up less internal heat because the work of a single firing cycle is spread out over multiple coils. Still, it is almost always engine heat that eventually kills a modern coilpack. Water intrusion is rarely an issue because today's coilpacks are housed in plastic and filled with epoxy to make them literally waterproof. Contaminants building up on the outside of the coil is also pretty much a non-issue considering how buried these things are inside modern engine compartments.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2013, 04:34 PM   #74
arovillard
arovillard is on a distinguished road

Hi Everyone, I have a 2009 Saturn astra XE and 3 months ago I had a cylinder misfire. after scanning the engine problem and reading this forum I went ahead and brought the car to a mechanic to who (as I was expecting) told me that I need a new coil pack and might as well a new set of spark plugs.

The coil here in Canada (from the dealership) is $1,100 and the cheapest I was able to find it was $800, so I decided to buy it from VauxhallWorldParts.com. These are the items I bought, coil pack #10458316 and spark plugs #0242229699. Once I got the parts I brought them to the mechanic and he installed them for $100

Two days ago, my car once again starts shaking and the engine light goes on, when I check the fault code it said cylinder 3 misfire, so I took the car again to the same mechanic and he told me that the coil failed and when he checked on the spark plug on cylinder 3 it was black.

What could have happened? did I not get the right parts? he is suggesting for me to buy again the coil pack online but to buy the spark plugs from GM ($18 each)

Help?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to arovillard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help arovillard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
arovillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #75
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line

I'd contact VauxhallWorldParts.com store for refund or exchange.
maybe call them, when I had issue with my order I was able to speak with the customer support in just a few minutes.
My pack from that still works well after many miles and I got some iridium plugs from Amazon.
I'd get a cheap one for $70 from China and see how it goes. You can get 16 for the price of one from GM and I don't think it is 18 times worth

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #76
arovillard
arovillard is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasy View Post
I'd contact VauxhallWorldParts.com store for refund or exchange.
maybe call them, when I had issue with my order I was able to speak with the customer support in just a few minutes.
My pack from that still works well after many miles and I got some iridium plugs from Amazon.
I'd get a cheap one for $70 from China and see how it goes. You can get 16 for the price of one from GM and I don't think it is 18 times worth
Great point, I just saw on their site that the parts have warranty but you have to send them in for them to forward them to the manufacturer and if they determine that the part is faulty then you get an "exchange" or "refund".

I'm still puzzled over what could have caused the spark plug to burn like that, could have the coil pack shorted? could it have been the spark plug that was faulty and damaged the coil pack?

The mechanic said that there are no wiring problems, but I just want to make sure that this won't happen again if I get a new set of coils and plugs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to arovillard's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help arovillard reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
arovillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #77
vasy
Advanced Member

2007 VUE Green Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by arovillard View Post
Great point, I just saw on their site that the parts have warranty but you have to send them in for them to forward them to the manufacturer and if they determine that the part is faulty then you get an "exchange" or "refund".

I'm still puzzled over what could have caused the spark plug to burn like that, could have the coil pack shorted? could it have been the spark plug that was faulty and damaged the coil pack?

The mechanic said that there are no wiring problems, but I just want to make sure that this won't happen again if I get a new set of coils and plugs.
No idea. After all, you are purchasing another GM part, could be just as defective as the one that broke

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Old 12-17-2013, 05:13 PM   #78
OpelDiva
OpelDiva is on a distinguished road

AIP Electronics has the 2008 COIL PACK for $89 US.
I had it expedited for a cost of $65 US and it came in 3 days (was supposed to be 2 days but with Customs, it was delayed).
I had to pay $12 duty on it upon arrival by UPS.
STILL saved me tons of money!!!
My grand total for this part with shipping was $190 Canadian versus the $1051 the dealership wanted. Used part $300 or an aftermarket part I was quoted $700.

SO...AIP electronics and the part is INSTALLED.

PS - YouTube has a DIY video and to replace this part took me about 10minutes because it was -10 outside and my hands were frozen.

Note to all who find this post:
Do it yourself and save the labour!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OpelDiva's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OpelDiva reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OpelDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:38 PM   #79
Vinny O
Vinny O is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Hi All

I am a classic Cadillac guy but my daughter in law has a 2008 Saturn astra that just started misfiring. We changed the spark plugs which she informed me she has never done even though it had 175k miles.

I am new to this forum and thanks for the advice, I was hoping to get away with just changing the plugs. Needless to say they had seen their best days a long time ago.

Now I am looking at the coils. I see autozone has this at $449, Rockauto at 279 but these on Ebay are $89 with free shipping. What gives here?

I am currently in Arizona with basically no tools and I have already taken the coil off to change the plugs so I know its easy. We have an autozone a block away. They were very helpful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vinny O's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vinny O reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vinny O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:01 PM   #80
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If you read the post before yours, there's another satisfied Saturnfan that bought imported parts at way below OEM prices and no one has posted failures yet. Your choice.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote