SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Silversand
Silversand is on a distinguished road

Default TPMS question

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows if the OEM TPMS the Astras were equipped with would work on any other GM applications.

I think they might from the little bit of research I've done on line - I believe the sensors are manufactured by Schrader, and with a reprogramming would work on another GM vehicle.

Any thoughts on this?

Reason I ask - my Astra is gone, but I still have my snows mounted on my OEM rims that have the TPMS tucked away inside them, thinking of selling the sensors. Maybe the entire wheel, tire and sensor package.

Thanks!
Ray

09 Astra XE 5dr, Silver Sand, M5
08 Escape XLT V6 FWD, Tungsten Grey, A4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silversand's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silversand reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silversand is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: TPMS question

As far as I know our sensors can't be programmed they work by simply telling a sensor theres enough air in the tire, but we don't know which tire is tire. So with that I am not sure if they would work on the newer TPMS which gives you read outs on individual tires.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #3
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i think its the car that does pressure readouts not the valve stem. astra doesnt use the regular gm system for tpms so id guess the valve sensors are also different than regular gm cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversand View Post
Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows if the OEM TPMS the Astras were equipped with would work on any other GM applications.

I think they might from the little bit of research I've done on line - I believe the sensors are manufactured by Schrader, and with a reprogramming would work on another GM vehicle.

Any thoughts on this?

Reason I ask - my Astra is gone, but I still have my snows mounted on my OEM rims that have the TPMS tucked away inside them, thinking of selling the sensors. Maybe the entire wheel, tire and sensor package.

Thanks!
Ray
Short answer: no. Our sensors are "dumb" and only tell the car that one of your tires is low on air (not specifically which one), where as most of the GMs report current tire pressures from each wheel position. When we rotate our tires or swap summers for winters, there is no re-learn procedure. Other GMs associate each sensor with a particular wheel position, and require a somewhat complicated re-learn process even when you do something as simple as rotate your tires (otherwise, your 0 PSI LF tire might actually be mounted on the RR). They also use a different frequency (315 MHz vs 433 MHz). The only "GM" that they would work on would be older Saabs.

I recently bought a set of TPMS sensors off of another listee while he (hopefully) went on to sell just the steel wheels on their own. The sensors only fit our Astras and a few Saabs, where as the wheels will fit 5-bolt Cobalts, Malibus, G5s, G6s, HHRs, and Saturn L-Series. If you can't sell the wheels/sensors to another Astra owner, you could always dismount the sensors and try to sell everything separately (that way, you can advertise the wheels on other GM forums, etc.).

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Silversand
Silversand is on a distinguished road

Thanks Astra La Vista.

I did some more poking around on line last night and saw that our TPMS can work on Saab 9-3 and 9-5 models. Need to narrow down what model years...

Oh well. I guess I might try to sell the Blizzaks as they sit - mounted on my OEM rims with the TPMS, see if I can get anything for them that makes it worthwile.

Otherwise, rip everything apart and sell separately. The tires will fit my new car, though I was hoping to go with a 15" size (2013 Elantra) as part of a package I know the dealership sells every fall.

Thanks guys!
Ray

09 Astra XE 5dr, Silver Sand, M5
08 Escape XLT V6 FWD, Tungsten Grey, A4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silversand's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silversand reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Silversand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #6
bdubs
bdubs is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

This is potentially a very stupid question:

My car is equipped with TPMS, if i switch over to my winter wheels/tires that do not have the TPMS will anything happen? just a warning light on the DIC or Dash?

I've never owned a car with this feature. Not sure if the car has some bull**** feature where it goes into a "safe" mode or some crap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bdubs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bdubs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:18 AM   #7
hoody123
hoody123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubs View Post
This is potentially a very stupid question:

My car is equipped with TPMS, if i switch over to my winter wheels/tires that do not have the TPMS will anything happen? just a warning light on the DIC or Dash?

I've never owned a car with this feature. Not sure if the car has some bull**** feature where it goes into a "safe" mode or some crap.
The absolute best solution to your problem is a piece of black electrical tape that is 1" square You'll just have a light that flashes at you for a while when you get in your car but eventually will stay solid. Personally, I use electrical tape

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoody123's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoody123 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoody123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoody123 View Post
The absolute best solution to your problem is a piece of black electrical tape that is 1" square You'll just have a light that flashes at you for a while when you get in your car but eventually will stay solid. Personally, I use electrical tape
Of course, you then run the risk of getting a flat tire in winter -- when the days are shorter and the weather colder and uglier. Running on a tire when there's less than a few PSI in it will rapidly destroy the tire too. Used sensors are out there -- eBay often has them for $20-30 each used.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:04 AM   #9
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Orrr...........go 'old school' and simply look at your tires the old fashioned way, say at each gas fill up. Not to start up a debate but but there was a time when ownership required active participation of car owners (with the exception of the ultra rich) to perform the menial tasks like tire checks, oil level, windshield washer topping off, coolant level, etc.. TPMS seemed to be the desire for politicians swayed by (lazy) drivers not willing to participate in the simple act of tire inspection, to enact a rule mandating tpms. Personally, I think its telling me there are far more lazy drivers not willing to simply inspect tires. As a side note, a walk around of aircraft is the responsibility of every pilot to ensure a wing didn't fall off. I (once) pointed out an unlocked lock nut on a control rod as part of this routine; this quickly brought out several instructors and phone calls until a licensed mechanic tightened this lock nut to allow a flight to proceed. A simple walk around to check on a list of things with a 'hands-on' attitude prevented..........

TPMS seemed to be the result of the Ford Explorer problems with early tire failures and drivers ignoring the top heavy vehicles when rollovers occurred. The early teething pains of drivers casually learning the hard way that suvs cannot maneuver as quickly as cars can without consequences was lost until drivers started to learn what 'top heavy' and 'higher center of gravity' meant. Long afterwards, legislation in the USA mandated tpms to 'remind' a driver to check on tires. I think just looking at tires is simple enough when gassing up before driving away. It won't take long before it becomes a simple routine to check tires when filling up for gas. Of course there are those 'very' busy people that must talk or text at every opportunity and place tire safety low on their list of things to do...........

Simply disabling tpms leads to liability issues unless an owner takes full responsibility for his/her actions and accepts the active role participating in car ownership to check on the menial things.

Oh, and I was allowed to fly after the incident with the loose lock nut. That aircraft stayed on the ground until it was determined safe by other more responsible people. I think the school would have taken a dim view of anyone breaking their aircraft. Someone else flew this aircraft before I did and didn't notice the discrepancy. I was fortunate enough to learn and understand what 'hands-on' means and accept responsibility for my actions, right or wrong.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote