SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
Default 2013 Vauxhall Astra VXR Review

http://www.speedmonkey.co.uk/2013/08...xr-review.html

We can only dream that GM one day brings this over as a Buick...

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2013 Vauxhall Astra VXR Review

Are you for real? I don't know who you're insulting, Buick or Vauxhall. Buicks are the 'old mans cadillac' in four door automatic only. Vauxhall is a two door manual. Apples and oranges. I don't think any Buick driver is interested is rowing gears and ruining his Ferragamo's. I think a Vauxhall 'driver' is willing to row gears in underwear and slippers while running twisties in any weather condition. Buick owners will park in wet weather and use their suv's to venture out in 'terrible' conditions. Four wheel drive to get to the mall.......

And wishful thinking of GM importing Vauxhalls in Buick disguise is basically the same thing GM did that brought it down from years of largesse - remaking every brand with excess styling with the same basic platforms but dressing it up to satisfy the faux niche market that brought it down. An Outlook is basically GM's Acadia. I'm sure you see similarities in other models.

A Vauxhall stands out by itself and doesn't need a Buick name to give it cache. If Buick was so great a car then it would sell in Europe. Not. Buick is strictly for American (and Chinese) appeal. Although I gave up rowing years ago, I would choose a Vauxhall over a Buick any day and have fun grinding gears in snow. A Buick is just a Buick. Fake four wheel drive and all.

VCX NANO

Last edited by fdryer; 08-20-2013 at 05:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #3
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Are you for real? I don't know who you're insulting, Buick or Vauxhall. Buicks are the 'old mans cadillac' in four door automatic only. Vauxhall is a two door manual. Apples and oranges. I don't think any Buick driver is interested is rowing gears and ruining his Ferragamo's. I think a Vauxhall 'driver' is willing to row gears in underwear and slippers while running twisties in any weather condition. Buick owners will park in wet weather and use their suv's to venture out in 'terrible' conditions. Four wheel drive to get to the mall.......

And wishful thinking of GM importing Vauxhalls in Buick disguise is basically the same thing GM did that brought it down from years of largesse - remaking every brand with excess styling with the same basic platforms but dressing it up to satisfy the faux niche market that brought it down. An Outlook is basically GM's Acadia. I'm sure you see similarities in other models.

A Vauxhall stands out by itself and doesn't need a Buick name to give it cache. If Buick was so great a car then it would sell in Europe. Not. Buick is strictly for American (and Chinese) appeal. Although I gave up rowing years ago, I would choose a Vauxhall over a Buick any day and have fun grinding gears in snow. A Buick is just a Buick. Fake four wheel drive and all.
Hmmm... wow. Not sure if you are aware of this or not, but Buick is bending over backwards trying to rid itself of the "old man's Cadillac" image and attract younger buyers. The Chinese market is the sole reason why GM kept Buick and decided to ditch Saturn and Pontiac. Opel/Vauxhall doesn't just make 2dr manuals -- they make sedans, vans, convertibles, and compact SUVs too. The LaCrosse and Regal are built on a 5-year old Opel platform (Insignia), with the latter available with a manual on the CXL Turbo. The Verano shares its platform with the current Astra (4dr sedan) and was designed primarily for said Chinese market, and is also available with a manual transmission. The Buick Encore is -- you guessed it -- another Opel. The Enclave is the only Buick that isn't an Opel in one way or the other, and it is ****. So since most Buicks are Opels, I'd say that the cars sell pretty well in Europe.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-20-2013, 10:35 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, I am aware of Buick trying to rid itself of the 'old man's cadillac'. Hasn't fooled me. I'll keep my Opel inspired/b******ized L300. I see that you also know why Buick remains a GM product (Chinese demand). Ugly is what I see and never was impressed with Buick. A boat ride is a boat ride. I don't think Buick buyers are interested in road handling around turns at speed. If the suspension is stiffened for road handling...........it wouldn't be a Buick. Buick drivers are about traversing the roads in relative creature comfort while Astra drivers are interested in getting from point A to point B as fast as possible and trade off plushy boat handling for road sticking. Another veiled attempt by GM to prop up the brand as was always done in the past that brought GM to its US knees with bankruptcy protection. GM's Opel brand in Europe reflects the European style and wholly different against the US market. With drivers over there accustomed to narrow roads and no lighting, we're spoiled with wide open highway lanes allowing 150mph straight line racing but try taking a turn at speed and panic ensues. Unfortunately, far too many drivers think they can drive when they can't judge a turn over the speed limits, promoting a false sense of bravado. Straight line racing does not make a US driver and its seen all the time in news reports of accidents involving drivers going too fast in turns whether in popular suv's or cars. The false sense of invincibility surrounding drivers with massive sheet metal in suv's is another issue with more drivers flipping their suv's with egos bigger than their ability to drive safely.

I admire the European car market that reflects drivers attitudes to driving. Unfortunately, even my L300 was detuned on purpose to meet the American market segment of wuusy drivers. Oh and of course this is just my 2-cents.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-21-2013, 12:26 AM   #5
nicolas_p
nicolas_p has a spectacular aura aboutnicolas_p has a spectacular aura about

2009 Astra XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Yes, I am aware of Buick trying to rid itself of the 'old man's cadillac'. Hasn't fooled me. I'll keep my Opel inspired/b******ized L300. I see that you also know why Buick remains a GM product (Chinese demand). Ugly is what I see and never was impressed with Buick. A boat ride is a boat ride. I don't think Buick buyers are interested in road handling around turns at speed. If the suspension is stiffened for road handling...........it wouldn't be a Buick. Buick drivers are about traversing the roads in relative creature comfort while Astra drivers are interested in getting from point A to point B as fast as possible and trade off plushy boat handling for road sticking. Another veiled attempt by GM to prop up the brand as was always done in the past that brought GM to its US knees with bankruptcy protection. GM's Opel brand in Europe reflects the European style and wholly different against the US market. With drivers over there accustomed to narrow roads and no lighting, we're spoiled with wide open highway lanes allowing 150mph straight line racing but try taking a turn at speed and panic ensues. Unfortunately, far too many drivers think they can drive when they can't judge a turn over the speed limits, promoting a false sense of bravado. Straight line racing does not make a US driver and its seen all the time in news reports of accidents involving drivers going too fast in turns whether in popular suv's or cars. The false sense of invincibility surrounding drivers with massive sheet metal in suv's is another issue with more drivers flipping their suv's with egos bigger than their ability to drive safely.

I admire the European car market that reflects drivers attitudes to driving. Unfortunately, even my L300 was detuned on purpose to meet the American market segment of wuusy drivers. Oh and of course this is just my 2-cents.
Have you even bothered trying one of the new Buicks, they are nothing like the old ones. They DO have sport suspension, IE the Regal GS with 6spd manual. Maybe instead of being a troll you should go out to the real world and see what GM is selling in your backyard. GM has strayed away from selling buick to older folks and instead have started making cars aimed at the younger generation. So instead of bashing something you know nothing of, go back to hiding under a rock somewhere.

09 Vauxhall Astra XR3/STD
18" Team Dynamic MonzaR rims
Eibach Sportline, Whiteline BHR75Z swaybar and EBC Rotors
CD30 Mp3, Insignia jets, vxR surround, sharkfin antenna, Spoiler, Tint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nicolas_p's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nicolas_p reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nicolas_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:55 AM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ahh, name calling again. How childish of you. If you care to look up the definition, you're a troll too.................but I digress. I refrain from calling anyone names here and take back what I said. I said what's on my mind and leave it at that whether you agree or not. It appears I ruffled your small ego enough for you to ignore public etiquette to simply disagree in an informal way. You obviously aren't adult enough to conduct yourself as one........ its a shame but there are many like you that cannot seem to phrase your disagreement. After all, this is a public forum without restriction to anyone to freely give their opinions.

And I don't need to try a Buick. I don't see anyone in the NYC area tearing around in a Buick.........rain or shine.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2013, 01:17 AM   #7
AstraLover
AstraLover is on a distinguished road

I think Buick is trying to aim more at the younger customers but they can't do it over night. The new buicks are a step closer but they aren't quite there yet! That's my opinion. Although I would totally drive a regal turbo!

Ryan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AstraLover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AstraLover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AstraLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:34 AM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I agree. Targeting a younger market without giving up the 'bread and butter' market segment of the mature drivers seeking a boat ride suspension for every day comfort instead of feeling every road pebble and taking a turn at higher than normal speed simply compromises the ride quality Buick owners as a whole expect. The middle to upper middle class that gave away their college days rusty reliability and slowly amassed family and fortune to buy an upscale Buick to say "I'm here and this is what reflects my income level". The target market is largely this population, not the younger class of buyers that want to drive now but can't afford a Buick. The small car market like Vauxhall appeals to the European market due to the class of drivers there that can choose from any car that fits their income and driving style while doing away with boat suspensions. Boat suspensions is purely an American market for the over weight class that aren't interested in hard handling while putting the emphasis on larger tires to soften the ride even more. Sport suspension was never a criteria for a Buick. Soft ride and quietness with a heavy emphasis on sound insulation are the hallmarks of what middle class and upper monied buyers are interested. The smorgasbord of models within Buick has always been an attempt by Buick to keep owners interested to select from a another model within Buick to maintain loyal customers. It worked for years for every car manufacturer but some do it better; Porsche, Land Rover, Volkswagen, Vauxhall, Jaguar, Ford. All haven't strayed too far from their core brand by staying with what works and sells. Maintaining a relatively small market share. GM's largess in the USA market saw competition years ago but decided "We're bigger and are #1 and we can do whatever what we want" attitude when everyone else saw the light - too big for itself with bloated models fighting for every niche it can capture while brand loyalty went out the window years ago in a diminishing market GM refused to acknowledge. The bloated management politically kept losing brands by robbing Peter to pay Paul that eventually closed Saturn/Pontiac/Oldsmobile. Pontiac was always the young sports car while Oldsmobile was the upscale Chevrolet. GM played the market and did capture a very large market that also brought with it the huge overhead costs that couldn't be sustained in a dwindling market with just so many new car buyers every year and competition from around the world vying for the same market share. Ford is the only USA car company that stayed the course without a bailout to rely on as GM and Chrysler did. Two USA car manufacturers that learned too little too late to accept downsizing and shedding brands to keep popular cars selling and simply closing down plants that showed little profit. MBA's are well aware of the bottom line until back office politics and back biting spread too far and wide within GM to keep up appearances. While easy to say, it was never described as simply a plan with all the back room back stabbing political turmoil turning over every brands vice president and his pyramid kingdom to fight for their livelihood.

Its no small guess as to why Astra owners like their cars just as much as Jaguar owners like theirs. The exact same desire but different income levels in general. My L300 is the poor mans version of a Maxima without all the bells and whistles. If it weren't for adapting the European Vectra to USA requirements, the Euro model was probably aimed at the four door market for buyers that wanted to switch from two door to four and expect a bigger engine. The same for Saturn to offer an upscale model from the base Saturn. Retain loyalty. Vectras had more hp than USA versions and harder suspensions until Saturn realized fat Americans didn't like hard suspensions that Europeans are accustomed to for the roads they drive on. Different mind sets.

Its easy to say wonderful things about Buicks but the fact remains, Astra owners bought Astras and didn't buy a Buick, period. You know your reasons and its obvious. The same reason I bought an L300 and not a Buick. I was in the market for a Chrysler 300, Ford, Toyota, and Acura. My L300 was the best buy of all by beating out the outrageous prices for new or used cars and gave me a reliable car even with recent major repairs after 10 years of ownership. I could care less about diminishing value when holding on to a car as many wrestle with. I went from a V6 Mercury Sable wagon to a Saturn V6 sedan and was always impressed with any 6 cylinder engine as a step up from a four. My first and only manual was also my first new car that I enjoyed and drove into the ground. Being a New Yorker, rowing gears gets old fast in day to day traffic so 'auto tragics' or slushboxes are befitting metro driving. If I lived outside NYC and had longish drives, I might have alternated between rowing gears and autos but being a city dweller, automatics are just a reality.

VCX NANO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
romanster
romanster will become famous soon enough

The new Regal GS is the closest thing to a legit VXR/OPC over here, but still everyone I mention it to just goes back to the old-man-barge imagery of the previous Regals. It's a rebadged Insignia OPC, and I would totally drive one, especially since they left it identical to the VXR/OPC model.. 6speed turbo, exterior styling, 20" wheels, front Brembos, super modern interior with all kinds of toys. The only changes are the emblems, and the 20" wheels are chrome instead of gunmetal/diamond cut. The non-GS Regal looks far less exciting though.

If the new Astra GTC was brought over, it could go head to head with the Lexus CT, and the VXR variant is right up there with the Golf R, Focus ST, etc, provided Buick leaves it alone except for the badges. After going through all the trouble to VXR my Astra, I'd welcome a more modern model that already has this work done.

Astra XR3 white
|Vauxhall VXR exterior conversion
|2010+ emblems
|Insignia VXR 18" rep wheels, Eibach SportLines
|BiXenon projector retrofit
|Blue interior LED conversion, OPC wheel/shifter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to romanster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help romanster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
romanster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
Astra La Vista!

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
And I don't need to try a Buick.
Well there's your problem...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
oilburner
oilburner is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Buick needs to start offering manual transmissions before I would think of stepping foot on a dealer lot. Offer a manual and a hatchback and I might be curious at least. Buick is trying to change image, but they don't seem to be going out of their way too hard. Chinese market seems to love larger longer wheelbase cars which really is inline with the American market. They are only different because they can't actually have huge cars there.

The Astra is still a pretty good car, I like it way better than any current GM offering. In the future I will be headed elsewhere unless something changes drastically.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oilburner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oilburner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oilburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #12
FieroAlex
FieroAlex is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I'm done with GM, unless they bring over Opel which won't happen or revive Pontiac or GM all that is left are brands I don't care about and would never own since I grew up hating them. My 2 cents

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FieroAlex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FieroAlex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FieroAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
Astra La Vista!

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner View Post
Buick needs to start offering manual transmissions before I would think of stepping foot on a dealer lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FieroAlex View Post
I'm done with GM, unless they bring over Opel which won't happen...
I don't think you guys are paying attention. Buick offers a manual transmission in both the turbo Regal CXL and the turbo Verano, and the Enclave is the only Buick that isn't partially or 100% an Opel.

Sadly, manuals my very well go the way of the Dodo. It is rare to find even a supercar that still uses a traditional manual transmission, and those cars are meant to be the pinnacle of the "driving experience". Expect that thinking to trickle down to even the econoboxes in the next 10 years or so. By then, it will be considered more of an anti-theft device anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #14
CZECHLAGER
CZECHLAGER has a spectacular aura aboutCZECHLAGER has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL2
1995 SW1

Hello, Romanster The Turbo Regal isn't the OPC Insigna. The OPC Insigna has a Twin Turbo V6 with All wheel drive. Rick

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CZECHLAGER's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CZECHLAGER reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CZECHLAGER is offline   Reply With Quote