SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
kcarter2515
kcarter2515 is on a distinguished road

Default Intermittent Heat?

So something weird is happening with my 07 Aura XE 3.5L. It's gotten pretty cold in Michigan these past couple of weeks, but I've been using my heat regularly ever since October.

Just a couple of days ago, I've noticed that when I start the car to heat up and let it sit in my driveway, it doesn't get warm. It just blows out cold air. However, once I leave the driveway, it heats up almost instantly. Then, when I stop at a traffic light, the air gets cold again.

Bottom line: When I hit the gas, the cold air heats up instantly. When I come to a stop and the car is idling at around 800 rpm, the air is luke warm to cold. I called my local GM dealership to ask about this and they suggested checking my coolant levels.

I was also poking around on other threads on this forum and somebody said something about a trickling water noise in the HVAC system. I hear this when I start the car and hit the gas, but it usually doesn't happen after that. The car has never overheated on me either.

Just looking for some insight on this problem. I'm going to add some DEXCOOL coolant to the reservoir, and see if that fixes the problem. As for the trickling noise, maybe a coolant flush would help that? Who knows.

I look forward to hearing from anyone with some info!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kcarter2515's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kcarter2515 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kcarter2515 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: Intermittent Heat?

Is the coolant level low? How low? It could have a leak.

How many miles on the engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Same issue with mine.

I get heat when I start the car in the morning. But if I drive it after a quick stop @ before work, heater will blow only cold air.

I posted the same issue this past month. So far, only Low Saturn had a remedy. He mentioned removing fuses for HVAC & replacing them a 1/2 hour later. I haven't had a chance to try this remedy. It's worth a try. Besides, LS usually gives good advice.

The coolant levels are fine, & there are no apperant leaks. No noises, either.

My "quick fix" is too change the temp settings up to 80, down to 72, and fiddle with the HVAC selesctor. After a couple of spins, it seems to work. (not a good fix)

My guess is something is preventing the electric motor to open again to let hot air in.

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
kcarter2515

I am happy to report that I've finally fixed the problem!

So as it turns out, it was the coolant. The levels were so low that I didn't think there was any in the reservoir. I went out and bought some DEXCOOL coolant and dumped it in. I filled the car up when it was cold. As soon as I took it out, the air was warm. As for the trickling water sound, that has appeared to disappear also. My best educated guess was that there was just enough coolant in the "lines" to cool the engine, but not enough to heat the car. So that must've been what the water trickling noise was. Also, I didn't pull any fuses or try anything electrical.

What makes me a bit mad is that I take the car to my local Chevy dealership to get any work done on it, such as oil changes. I'm not all that impressed that they don't pay attention to my coolant level even though it states on the invoice that they topped it off. Every time I looked under the hood the coolant was low/not there and I thought nothing of it because the car wasn't overheating. Looks like they just lost a customer! The car is out of warranty, so it probably won't see that dealership ever again.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kcarter2515 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

You have a leak somewhere in the coolant system. You should have it pressure tested.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
midniteblue
midniteblue is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

hello,i too live in michigan and had this problem. took it to the dealer and it was a coolant crossover pipe gasket leak.150.00 to fix with new gaskets and coolant clean and flush...

ken burnstrum

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to midniteblue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help midniteblue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
midniteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
kcarter2515

I've been checking on the coolant level for the past couple of days now and the level hasn't changed. I know coolant isn't just supposed to disappear out of the car, but the levels are okay and the heat works so I'm cool with it!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
SC2BuzzBomb
SC2BuzzBomb is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Just keep a couple jugs of coolant in the trunk and top it off when necessary, just like us S-series owners have to tote around a drum of oil.

I still can't believe a car that is only 5 years old is so problematic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2BuzzBomb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2BuzzBomb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2BuzzBomb is offline   Reply With Quote