SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
MissBones
MissBones is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Sadly thinking of trading in

I have an 07 Aura XE. I LOVE my car almost too much but it's getting to a point where I'm not sure I can hold on to it. Up until 100k (which I went over last month) my car has been completely fine. 2 months ago I replaced the coolant tank and a connection piece because it was leaking coolant so much to the point of not being able to hold on to any. Now, it's still leaking coolant. I fill it every week now. I'm trying to find the cause and I'm thinking it's a hose but I just don't have the money after spending $300 last time.

There's other things that are slowly going as well and I knew that after 100k it would be the time for things to start going on my car but it's almost too much.

The icing on the cake was the letter in the mail from Saturn saying that they would only extend the warranty on the transmission issue up to 120k. I think it should be a recall, I drive a lot every year and I'll be over 120k in 1 year and therefore I'll be on my own if at that point my car decides to show the signs of that should be recall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MissBones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MissBones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MissBones is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Sadly thinking of trading in

i guess first of all if the place fixed your coolant leak and its still leaking they should fix it. if it had under 100k on it at the time it should be covered if its something big.... also with that mileage it may go a long way without problems or it may not. used cars are worth alot right now so maybe see what you can get towards a new malibu or regal. might be surprised.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #3
journeyforce
journeyforce is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Well there are some small cost things you can do yourself to find the leak

1. Go to the parts store and get a small bottle of leak dye(might have to tell them air condition sys leak dye) and a $10 walmart battery operated black light(the kind they sell for things like parties and halloween) fill up your coolant and drive it for a few days with the leak dye and then use the black light to find and trace the leak. The leak dye is safe to use

2. Buy or borrow(advance auto lends them) a coolant system pressure tester. This hooks to the radiator or the coolant tank(depending upon which your car has) and you pump it up to the pressure listed on the radiator cap and start looking around

3. Check your oil, if it is milky white or a milkshake looking mess or smells like coolant then it is leaking into the oil.
4. Check transmission fluid, if this smells like coolant or is very pink looking while cold(transmission fluid looks cherry colored when cold and lightens up when warm) then check the possibility that coolant is getting into the transmission.(some cars use the radiator to help cool the trans fluid instead of a separate trans cooler and sometimes ether a weak seal or due to coolant eating into the tank will cause coolant to get into the trans

Places to look if you have the V6
1. Water pump
2. intake manifold (I know the 3800 and 2.8,2.3,3100 and 3400 series V6's had the leaky intake manifold but don't know if the 3500 or 3600 have this issue.
3. Head gasket(some leak but don't overheat)

4. Heater core(is your passenger side wet?)
5. Radiator, hoses coolant tank

If you got the 2.4 4 cyl then look for

1. Water pump
2. Heater core
3. Hoses, radiator and coolant tank
4. Head gasket

Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to journeyforce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help journeyforce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
journeyforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
SC2BuzzBomb
SC2BuzzBomb is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Amazing that the car is only 4 years old and is starting to fall apart on you. I'm having fewer issues with my 16 year old S-series. Any idea what the private party resale value is or the trade in value?

Now would be a good time to get into something new, different, and reliable. Interest rates are still very low and many of the new 4-cyl cars have some impressive fuel economy numbers since you drive 20K+ per year.

Good luck with your maintenane journey or if you decide to send it down the road and purchase new.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2BuzzBomb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2BuzzBomb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2BuzzBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:38 PM   #5
MissBones

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
i guess first of all if the place fixed your coolant leak and its still leaking they should fix it. if it had under 100k on it at the time it should be covered if its something big.... also with that mileage it may go a long way without problems or it may not. used cars are worth alot right now so maybe see what you can get towards a new malibu or regal. might be surprised.

If I do actually trade, I'm looking into a few things and Chevy is not on the list, especially the Malibu. I was looking at the Ford Escape despite the crappy warranty, Nissan Rouge, or a GMC Truck. I'm terrible with finding vehicles I like, as it is, I test drove an 09' Nissan Sentra, 09' Camry, and an 07' Caliber and didn't like any of them, (the Sentra was slow, the Camry was unusually quick to brake and also slow to pick up for a brand new car, and the Caliber shook so much it was too annoying) then I found the Aura and fell in love with it instantly. I wound up hating everything I thought I would like and bought a car I never expected to love.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MissBones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #6
MissBones

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
Well there are some small cost things you can do yourself to find the leak

1. Go to the parts store and get a small bottle of leak dye(might have to tell them air condition sys leak dye) and a $10 walmart battery operated black light(the kind they sell for things like parties and halloween) fill up your coolant and drive it for a few days with the leak dye and then use the black light to find and trace the leak. The leak dye is safe to use

2. Buy or borrow(advance auto lends them) a coolant system pressure tester. This hooks to the radiator or the coolant tank(depending upon which your car has) and you pump it up to the pressure listed on the radiator cap and start looking around

3. Check your oil, if it is milky white or a milkshake looking mess or smells like coolant then it is leaking into the oil.
4. Check transmission fluid, if this smells like coolant or is very pink looking while cold(transmission fluid looks cherry colored when cold and lightens up when warm) then check the possibility that coolant is getting into the transmission.(some cars use the radiator to help cool the trans fluid instead of a separate trans cooler and sometimes ether a weak seal or due to coolant eating into the tank will cause coolant to get into the trans

Places to look if you have the V6
1. Water pump
2. intake manifold (I know the 3800 and 2.8,2.3,3100 and 3400 series V6's had the leaky intake manifold but don't know if the 3500 or 3600 have this issue.
3. Head gasket(some leak but don't overheat)

4. Heater core(is your passenger side wet?)
5. Radiator, hoses coolant tank

If you got the 2.4 4 cyl then look for

1. Water pump
2. Heater core
3. Hoses, radiator and coolant tank
4. Head gasket

Good luck
What makes me think it's a hose is when I put in the coolant, if none spills, a little bit will leak from the bottom under the tank. It's been too cold for me to take a look at it myself especially since I don't have a garage to keep from the cold and the rain.

I've already had the water pump replaced under warranty and I'm sure it's not that.

I'm just hoping it warms up enough to allow me to take some things apart.

Thank you for the info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
MissBones

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2BuzzBomb View Post
Amazing that the car is only 4 years old and is starting to fall apart on you. I'm having fewer issues with my 16 year old S-series. Any idea what the private party resale value is or the trade in value?

Now would be a good time to get into something new, different, and reliable. Interest rates are still very low and many of the new 4-cyl cars have some impressive fuel economy numbers since you drive 20K+ per year.

Good luck with your maintenance journey or if you decide to send it down the road and purchase new.
It's little annoyances aside from the coolant leak. My passenger window has been slowing down for a few years, my passenger side headlight always burns out, which doesn't help the fact that you have to take apart the thing to replace the bulb and just other high mileage maintenece things. My car hasn't given me many issues it's just after moving trying to keep up enough money as a cushion has made it nearly impossible to fix anything until I have no choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

07 aura do all have very weak and slow (when its cold outside) passenger windows. drivers is better but not alot. when its below zero i pretty much cant use either window without a long time. when aura came out the original ones were all like that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:29 AM   #9
whiteshadow
whiteshadow is on a distinguished road

if the car is starting to nickel and dime you, its time to get rid of it.

07 aura xr
98 explorer 5.0
93 miata, not stock
77 f150

im not nice

number of times ban.T

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whiteshadow's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whiteshadow reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whiteshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #10
unkle bik
Master Member
unkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the roughunkle bik is a jewel in the rough

2007 AURA XR
2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteshadow View Post
if the car is starting to nickel and dime you, its time to get rid of it.
U think so....

93 SW2
96 SL2
01 SL2
02 L200
08 Astra Xe
07 Aura XR

Complacency leads to mediocrity.
Mediocrity leads to our demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unkle bik's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unkle bik reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unkle bik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #11
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkle bik View Post
U think so....
Amen: nothing like the weapons grade nickle and diming a new car payment, registration, taxes and insurance will do to you for the next 3-6 years....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

I don't know how much money you've already paid out-of-pocket in attempting to remedy your AURA's ails. However, if you look at the big picture, having to pay to maintain and repair your AURA is a necessary process if you like it and want to keep it.

If I were in a position similar to yours, I would opt to take it to my Authorized Saturn Repair / GM facility and have them take care of it. Period. Yes, you've got a lot of miles on your AURA, but if you bought it new and took good care of it, it should last you quite a while.

The bottom line, from my perspective, is, that it's paid for. A monthly car payment for a new / used car over the course for just a single year will run you one heck of a lot more than what the repairs for your AURA will cost you

Example: $200/month car payment x 12 months = $2400). It won't cost you anywhere near that to fix your AURA (and that's a really, really low monthly payment and only calculated for the 1st year's payments).

Are there any guarantees? No. There are people who buy brand new cars right off the showroom floor and have nothing but continuous little problems which crop up even before they get their new car home.

However, if you don't have the necessary confidence in your wheels anymore, it may well be time to move on to something different. Maybe another AURA? Car Max had an 08 XR a couple of weeks ago with fewer than 20k on the clock for 16k and I'm guessing you could negotiate down from that.

Please keep us posted as to what you've decided to do.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

Last edited by gpartrid; 12-29-2011 at 09:53 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #13
MissBones

2007 AURA XE

Well.....I've still got my baby, although about 2 hours ago I pulled into my driveway, put it in park, and then the radiator went. Steam and smoke billowing from the hood and a driveway full of water. Stinks it had to happen the week I'm driving a co-worker in because his car is in need of some help too.

So, in a couple days when my weekend begins I'm going to be pulling the whole front end off and hopefully replacing the radiator, taking a closer look at the rest of the coolant system, and finally replacing that pain in the ass to replace passenger side headlight bulb.

I love this car, and despite wanting a hassle free car that has a warranty, my Aura is my baby and it's staying put for a bit longer.

At least New Hampshire is having some oddly warm/hot weather this week.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #14
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Sorry to hear you've got another new problem. However, glad to hear you intend to keep your AURA. Hopefully you'll be able to repair your radiator and that no other major repairs come up.

Please continue to keep us posted as to the "health" of your AURA.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:32 PM   #15
MissBones

2007 AURA XE

Looking like it could possibly be a head gasket as well. I took a look under the hood now that it's completely cooled off and there seems to be quite an oil leak. I took off the engine cover and started taking off some of the screws and stuff holding all the covers and bumper on but the last mechanic to do all that stripped on of the screws so I'm having a terrible time taking one off.

I have Thursday, Friday and Saturday off so first thing in the morning Thursday I'm going to see what I can do about getting the bumper ect. off and seeing if indeed there's more than a radiator problem. Just keeping my fingers crossed the engine and transmission are alright because I have to replace though, I can't afford to trade in a car that's worthless with 7k remaining on a loan. If there's anyone out there who has done any major repairs on your aura and these issues sound familiar, please let me know.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #16
MissBones

2007 AURA XE

After this is fixed or if it is too much for me, I have found another beautiful 07' Aura XE 3.5L V6 (I really DO NOT want to risk going XR, I've heard of too many issues with the 3.6 including a co-worker who has an 07 XR and only 3 of the 6 cylinders are firing right now) it has all the options including a sunroof, leather, ect, where as mine is the basic XE. It only has 26k on it and it's selling for $12,995 at a certified dealer (I don't trust used car dealers).

I'm emailing them to get as much information as I can about the vehicle, so if my car just turns out to not be worth the amount of money I'm putting into it or it looks like there's other things that are about to go, I might just take the plunge and start over again with another loan despite just wanting to be car payment free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #17
trick440
trick440 is on a distinguished road

Cross my fingers but our XR has been pretty good except for a few minor issues. We plan on giving it to my son so I hope it holds up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trick440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trick440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trick440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #18
carjones
carjones is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

I'm so sorry to hear of your Aura issues, GM should be ashamed of itself!!!! These cars shouldn't be having the amount of problems that they are.

I hope you didn't opt for another Aura and instead get something with a much better reliability rating. If you have to pay a monthly car note get something that won't potentially leave you on the side of the road. My next car will not be a GM product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carjones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carjones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #19
MissBones

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjones View Post
I'm so sorry to hear of your Aura issues, GM should be ashamed of itself!!!! These cars shouldn't be having the amount of problems that they are.

I hope you didn't opt for another Aura and instead get something with a much better reliability rating. If you have to pay a monthly car note get something that won't potentially leave you on the side of the road. My next car will not be a GM product!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck

I LOVE my car, don't get me wrong, but it has over 100,000 miles on it so things are bound to start going. Luckily it's just the radiator which I'll be replacing when it gets delivered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!