SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
Astralavista
Astralavista is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR
2009 Outlook XE
Default Turbo Kit in devolopment

During the winter months I am donating my vehicle to the guys of Hahn Racecraft for a turbo kit installation. They want to develop a kit for the car and under much duress I decided I will let them use my beautiful car (lol) Much details for the kit are not available right now as it is their peak season and they are very busy But I will have more to tell you guys come october and Hopefully by early next year there will be a bolt on solution for our cars! And the better news is they want to make the kit affordable so we're talking the 3000-4000 dollar range, which makes it the same price as pretty much any other kit out there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astralavista's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astralavista reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astralavista is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
Alman
Alman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
Default Re: Turbo Kit in devolopment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astralavista View Post
During the winter months I am donating my vehicle to the guys of Hahn Racecraft for a turbo kit installation. They want to develop a kit for the car and under much duress I decided I will let them use my beautiful car (lol) Much details for the kit are not available right now as it is their peak season and they are very busy But I will have more to tell you guys come october and Hopefully by early next year there will be a bolt on solution for our cars! And the better news is they want to make the kit affordable so we're talking the 3000-4000 dollar range, which makes it the same price as pretty much any other kit out there.
any ideas on how much they're looking to boost? are they aiming for stock internals or are they planning on strengthing before they boost?

the more mod news the better woohoo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Alman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Alman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Alman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
Astralavista
Astralavista is on a distinguished road

2009 Astra XR
2009 Outlook XE

like I said, I don't have much more details yet. But this is the same company that has got an automatic cavalier pushing low 12's in the 1/4 mile, so if they can do that i'm sure they can work their wonders with even a better built car!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astralavista's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astralavista reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astralavista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:43 PM   #4
joeybwhoelse
joeybwhoelse is on a distinguished road

The Euro tuning company, Regal, claims about 6 for boost before the 1.8 will "pop." I'm not saying it's impossible but if someone else has tried, than you might be getting a brand new car to replace the one the shop blows up. Hope it does though cause I'm still pissed we didn't get the engine options the Vaux/OPels have

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to joeybwhoelse's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help joeybwhoelse reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
joeybwhoelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:55 PM   #5
RoadIon
Advanced Member
RoadIon will become famous soon enough

2007 ION Red Line
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Astralavista

Put a link to this thread in your signature so we can keep coming back to it to read the progress without having to search for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RoadIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RoadIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RoadIon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #6
KapsAstra
KapsAstra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

There would definitely need to be some serious engine modifications to make it worthwhile. Forced induction works better with an engine that has a lower compression ratio. 10.5:1 is a bit high to be pushing a decent amount of PSI.

If I remember correctly, Jackson Racing put a 5psi supercharger on a B16A2 motor. Even with a full exhaust it was only about 40 extra horsepower, but it wasn't exactly reliable. Some of the cars were fine, while others ended up blowing the motor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KapsAstra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KapsAstra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KapsAstra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:57 AM   #7
BJUmholtz
BJUmholtz is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2009 AURA XR

IRL, you must at least have the 6 speed trans. If you make a habit of doing 20+ mph in stock first gear, you would probably 'pop' as they said. If I were playing a PC sim and couldn't afford to mod all at once, I'd go in this order... 6 spd trans, rear vented brakes and good braided lines, remap, air intake upgrades, custom cat back at dealership.

From there, either drop a SKY 2.0/turbo kit, or IRL, bolt-on turbo action! Probably a good idea to upgrade ignition system too. Probably expensive as all heck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BJUmholtz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BJUmholtz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BJUmholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
crystal scan
Advanced Member
crystal scan is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to crystal scan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help crystal scan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
crystal scan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #9
danger d
danger d is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapsAstra View Post
There would definitely need to be some serious engine modifications to make it worthwhile. Forced induction works better with an engine that has a lower compression ratio. 10.5:1 is a bit high to be pushing a decent amount of PSI.

If I remember correctly, Jackson Racing put a 5psi supercharger on a B16A2 motor. Even with a full exhaust it was only about 40 extra horsepower, but it wasn't exactly reliable. Some of the cars were fine, while others ended up blowing the motor.
I was pushing 15 psi(turbo)(peak at 17 sometimes) on a 3.8 grand prix(9.5 CR)and blew the engine ONLY because my fuel pump was tired.I know some guys pushing 18 psi on 9.5 compression ratio in thoses 3.8L and everything is fine but the tranny.I bet you can boost 10 psi on a well tuned 1.8L 10.5:1 without any problems.

2008 Red Astra XR3 5-speeds Sport Handling Package Premium Audio Package 17's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danger d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danger d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danger d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
mdcclxxvi
Advanced Member
mdcclxxvi is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger d View Post
I was pushing 15 psi(turbo)(peak at 17 sometimes) on a 3.8 grand prix(9.5 CR)and blew the engine ONLY because my fuel pump was tired.I know some guys pushing 18 psi on 9.5 compression ratio in thoses 3.8L and everything is fine but the tranny.I bet you can boost 10 psi on a well tuned 1.8L 10.5:1 without any problems.
7-8psi max i'd say

Project 8888
www.usAstra.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mdcclxxvi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mdcclxxvi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mdcclxxvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #11
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcclxxvi View Post
7-8psi max i'd say
How about a thicker head gasket laser cut out of copper to lower the compression ratio? Any timing changes could be compensated for either via an ECU re-tune or an adjustable cam gear.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #12
KapsAstra

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcclxxvi View Post
7-8psi max i'd say
I'd say that is even pushing it depending on the internal components of this engine. Unfortunately I don't have any information about what is inside this engine. Does it even have any forged components?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help KapsAstra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2009, 04:27 PM   #13
s-seriesguy
s-seriesguy will become famous soon enough

Are they going to give you the turbo kit for free for being their test mule?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s-seriesguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s-seriesguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s-seriesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
Suns_PSD
Suns_PSD is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I've heard great things about the components inside the Astra engine. Forged rods and pistons, well designed head, etc...

It's really a shame they did not sell this engine in a 160-190 hp NA configuration.

As far as a thicker head gasket as a means to lower compression that is VERY undesirable for several reasons. I even tried it once on my powerstroke and when it increased the squish everything went to hell. The proper way to do this is low compression pistons but that leads us down a route that is just too expensive for this little car. Better to buy a better hop up platform to begin with.

As far as the max allowable boost goes, a big part of that equation is the effectiveness of the intercooler. If it gets an effective intercooler the much cooler intake air temps w/ lessen detonation and allow us to run much more boost. But of course that would cost more.

At this point, for me personally, I have excepted and love my Astra exactly like it is and no longer have plans for modifications to this vehicle. Just too many hurtles to overcome (add the clutch to the list of problems). It might get a programmer and a free flowing muffler depending on results but that is all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Suns_PSD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Suns_PSD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #15
KapsAstra

2008 Astra XR

I'm guessing this car also does not have a LSD? Too much extra horsepower is really going to suck without one, especially when accelerating through the corners.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #16
BJUmholtz

2008 Astra XR
2009 AURA XR

Quote:
I'm guessing this car also does not have a LSD? Too much extra horsepower is really going to suck without one, especially when accelerating through the corners.
I believe it does... XR 3 Door has Stabilitrack as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BJUmholtz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-23-2009, 10:10 AM   #17
Alman
Alman is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suns_PSD View Post
I've heard great things about the components inside the Astra engine. Forged rods and pistons, well designed head, etc...

It's really a shame they did not sell this engine in a 160-190 hp NA configuration.

As far as a thicker head gasket as a means to lower compression that is VERY undesirable for several reasons. I even tried it once on my powerstroke and when it increased the squish everything went to hell. The proper way to do this is low compression pistons but that leads us down a route that is just too expensive for this little car. Better to buy a better hop up platform to begin with.

As far as the max allowable boost goes, a big part of that equation is the effectiveness of the intercooler. If it gets an effective intercooler the much cooler intake air temps w/ lessen detonation and allow us to run much more boost. But of course that would cost more.

At this point, for me personally, I have excepted and love my Astra exactly like it is and no longer have plans for modifications to this vehicle. Just too many hurtles to overcome (add the clutch to the list of problems). It might get a programmer and a free flowing muffler depending on results but that is all.
Yeah I'm in your boat...i'm going with the programmer and better muffler and thats it for my engine performance...probably lower the car and add a small spoiler to help out the bubble butt and then tint and i'm finished til i want to paint

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Alman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Alman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Alman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #18
KapsAstra

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJUmholtz View Post
I believe it does... XR 3 Door has Stabilitrack as well.
StabiliTrak and a good LSD are not really the same thing. If it had a quaife LSD, then we would be talking.

I'm not saying it doesn't have a LSD, but don't see why it would with such little horsepower.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #19
BJUmholtz

2008 Astra XR
2009 AURA XR

Quote:
StabiliTrak and a good LSD are not really the same thing.
I know. That's why I wrote "as well". I researched and found that the LSD is only available on the VXR in Europe. Here in the states, we get Electronic Traction Control PLUS Stabilitrak.

"Thanks" CA emissions standards! No Red Line Astra for us...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #20
mdcclxxvi
Advanced Member
mdcclxxvi is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJUmholtz View Post
"Thanks" CA emissions standards! No Red Line Astra for us...
Yeah. the rest of the US gets the Red Line Astra! Oh, wait......

GM was going to bring the Red Line Astra to 50 states, except for 1 states emissions ruined it! Oh, wait.....

Does not compute.

Project 8888
www.usAstra.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mdcclxxvi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mdcclxxvi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mdcclxxvi is offline   Reply With Quote