SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2006, 12:34 AM   #1
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member
DJboozeAlot is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Default Camshaft Position Sensor on a 96 SC2...

i have a 96 SC2 that runs rough at times and stutters/hesitates at all speeds and rpms. the check engine light is either on or blinking, took it to Autozone and they pulled the codes, the only one was for the camshaft position sensor. i have a chiltons manual (useless about 50% of the time anyways) and it's not even in there, only crankshaft position sensor is in the manual.

anyone know where this sensor is located, with any pictures if possible?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DJboozeAlot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DJboozeAlot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DJboozeAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2006, 12:47 AM   #2
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1
Default Re: Camshaft Position Sensor on a 96 SC2...

If someone didn't beat me to it, it's a problem with your coil pack, probably corrosion. Do a search and you'll find lots of reading. It has no cam sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 12:58 AM   #3
captsam
captsam is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1996 SL2

If it's the crank position sensor you can buy those at the local parts shop for about $12. I think I bought one at Kragen for about that much. It's a bit of a pain to find. If you're directly underneath the car, it'll be just above the starter. You have to take off the plastic cover that snaps over the starter to see it. It's a real pain. I believe there are pictures on the internet of the CPS. Try googling it. I remember someone had posted a fix for it, but it's still a pain to get to. It's fastened by one tiny screw, and it's at a bad angle to get at. Try doing the search with Crank Position Sensor instead of Camshaft.

Good luck.

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboozeAlot View Post
i have a 96 SC2 that runs rough at times and stutters/hesitates at all speeds and rpms. the check engine light is either on or blinking, took it to Autozone and they pulled the codes, the only one was for the camshaft position sensor. i have a chiltons manual (useless about 50% of the time anyways) and it's not even in there, only crankshaft position sensor is in the manual.

anyone know where this sensor is located, with any pictures if possible?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to captsam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help captsam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
captsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:12 AM   #4
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by captsam View Post
If it's the crank position sensor you can buy those at the local parts shop for about $12. I think I bought one at Kragen for about that much. It's a bit of a pain to find. If you're directly underneath the car, it'll be just above the starter. You have to take off the plastic cover that snaps over the starter to see it. It's a real pain. I believe there are pictures on the internet of the CPS. Try googling it. I remember someone had posted a fix for it, but it's still a pain to get to. It's fastened by one tiny screw, and it's at a bad angle to get at. Try doing the search with Crank Position Sensor instead of Camshaft.

Good luck.

Sam
The crank position sensor doesn't set a code, and a Saturn doesn't have a Camshaft position sensor.

Westwind is right. Check the ignition system, and clean or replace any components, from the DIS module, to the plugs and everything inbetween.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:17 AM   #5
captsam
captsam is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
1996 SL2

Try this link for the crankshaft position sensor:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/saturn04.htm

Try this one from the SaturnFans Forum:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69687

The coils are easier to change, just a couple of screws, and four ignition wires... so you should probably change those first before trying to CPS. The CPS is a real pain. Does your problem only occur when the car is warm or when the car is cold and warm? If it only occurs when the car is warm/hot, it's more likely the CPS. If not, probably ignition problem.

Last edited by captsam; 12-05-2006 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: Updated Links/Advice

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to captsam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help captsam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
captsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:23 AM   #6
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

As others have posted, the "S" series does not have a "Camshaft Position Sensor" so far as it being someting you can replace. That code in an "S" series is usually generated by a fault in the ignition system:

Spark plugs, spark plug wires, corroded coilpack towers or coilpack to block attaching bolts.

While your "S" series DOES have a Crankshaft Position Sensor, it will NOT set a code on a car that actually still runs. The ONLY code that can be set by a faulty Crankshaft Position Sensor is basically a "No signal" code...which would mean that the car would not actually run....as in AT ALL.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:35 AM   #7
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member

1996 SC2

thanks guys, will check igintion system today.

and Wolfman, i havent been on the board in a while, last i heard you "retired" at an even 10,000 posts... what made you decide to come out of retirement?? glad to see you back though

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DJboozeAlot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-05-2006, 12:58 PM   #8
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
> DJ <
last i heard you "retired" at an even 10,000 posts.
Noooooooo way. We've just allowed him to sit back for awhile, check in periodically, and then submit something, when he realizes we don't know what we're talking about; Remember, he needs OUR permission to fully retire.......

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 01:04 PM   #9
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboozeAlot View Post
and Wolfman, i havent been on the board in a while, last i heard you "retired" at an even 10,000 posts... what made you decide to come out of retirement?? glad to see you back though
He joined the ranks of Michael Jordan, Jay-Z, Barbera Streisand, and so on.... (doesn't Eminem have a new album comming out too)? He's a Saturnfans megastar.

He keeps trying to get out, but he keeps getting pulled back in.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 01:26 PM   #10
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

If your old plugs weren't real crusty critters I wouldn't worry about the new ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 05:22 PM   #11
DJboozeAlot
Advanced Member

1996 SC2

the old ones looked pretty bad, and you could tell the old ones werent too old either by looking at the rest of the plug. i just bought the car so i dont know when they were changed last.

the new ones shouldnt look like they do after 5 miles of driving. i just want to know whats causing them to look they way they do... it's probably related to my check engine light being on and i want that to go off!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #12
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

Your plugs don't look unusual to me but it's hard to tell from a picture. I fthe code is still coming up you probably need to take the coil off and clean all the connections up as well as the mounting surface to the block. It probably isn't grounding very well if there's some corrosion. I've also heard that the routing of the wires can thow the code too but I'm not sure what routing would cause this.

Do a search for Cam Angle Sensor or the code number and you'll find tons of info.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote