SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2008, 11:10 PM   #1
dbaier
dbaier is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Heated four-wire sensor oxygen sensor

I have 1996 SL2 and I am trying to remove the heated four-wire oxygen sensor just after the CC. My special socket with a slit in it wont fit on it with the metal sheild around it. Any one with instructions or tips for removal would be nice. Also some suggestions on unplugging the connection would be helpfull. Thanks.

-Dave

Current DD
1999 SC1 100,000

Kids car
1996 SL2 222,000
SOLD to a nice family that needed a car.

1999 SL 184,000
RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbaier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbaier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbaier is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2008, 02:00 AM   #2
adhsc2
adhsc2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Re: Heated four-wire sensor oxygen sensor

vice grips (big pair of pliers) works great.

1995 Saturn SC2
Screw engines...I R HAVS A POWER MODULE!
Member of: Saturn Tuners Club - Southeast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adhsc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adhsc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adhsc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:34 AM   #3
Phredawgy
Phredawgy is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaier View Post
I have 1996 SL2 and I am trying to remove the heated four-wire oxygen sensor just after the CC. My special socket with a slit in it wont fit on it with the metal sheild around it. Any one with instructions or tips for removal would be nice. Also some suggestions on unplugging the connection would be helpfull. Thanks.
Were you getting a code saying this sensor was bad?

The streets will flow with the blood of all the non-believers!!!! And all those who won't include their vehicles vital information in their posts!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phredawgy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phredawgy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Phredawgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:59 AM   #4
dbaier

1996 SL2

Autozone ran the code for me PO141, is what came up. "Heated oxygen sensor".

-Dave

Current DD
1999 SC1 100,000

Kids car
1996 SL2 222,000

1999 SL 184,000
RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dbaier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:48 AM   #5
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Autozone ran the code for me PO141, is what came up. "Heated oxygen sensor".
you might want to double check that... usually, the rear heated o2 sensor will outlive the cat. it's possible that the sensor's throwing a code because the cat finally went bad. happened to me about a month ago...

if it really is the sensor, you'll have to put the torch to it to get it out...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S3aturnR View Post
if it really is the sensor, you'll have to put the torch to it to get it out...
I've gotten a couple out by cutting the wires and using a box end wrench. Of course, I don't live where road salt's a problem.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:46 AM   #7
dbaier

1996 SL2

How do I double check it? Have it re-read at Autozone?

-Dave

Current DD
1999 SC1 100,000

Kids car
1996 SL2 222,000

1999 SL 184,000
RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #8
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

P0141 = Rear O2 Heater Circuit Malfunction.
This DTC determines if the O2 sensor heater is functioning by monitoring the amount of time necessary for the O2 sensor to become active after ignition key-up.

Were there any other codes? This could be set as a secondary indication by several other conditions as wel (not the least of which is an ECTS problem), but most of them should give their own codes too.

One check would be to see if there is current going to the O2 sensor heater, but that may not be an easy check for most folks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Vise-grip or box wrench won't fit with the guard around the sensor; dunno why anyone would suggest that.

There's also a crow's-foot-style O2 sensor socket, which works within that guard. If you have a 1/2" "wobble" adaptor or socket extension, that might work with your existing slotted socket. I was able to fit one on mine (repeated P0137s), but the sensor was so fused by rust and heat that the slot on the socket just opened and made the socket "jump" when I leaned on it. I was sensing the power was weak anyway, and had ruled out everything upstream, and the exhaust pressure at the tailpipe felt weak, so I punted and bought a new cat, threaded a new sensor into it, and was done with it.

If you're pretty sure your cat is good, yes, the sensor can go, and a 137 or 141 or the like can mean just a bad sensor. Try one of the above wrench setups, give it several daily doses of PB Blaster, heat it up by running the engine up to temp, and say a quick prayer to St. Rusty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:07 PM   #10
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Vise-grip or box wrench won't fit with the guard around the sensor; dunno why anyone would suggest that.
Have you actually tried a box end wrench? Because I've done it with a box end wrench. There's enough room even with the guard. You just have to cut the wires and it works fine. Of course you can't use that method going back on. For that I use the tool you describe but, a box end wrench can take more torque when that tool just isn't enough. I'll agree that the guard is to close for vice grips.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #11
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Actually, I didn't try the box-end; didn't want to cut the wires. This would be a good case for a six-point box wrench (alas, my set was stolen).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #12
dbaier

1996 SL2

Issue solved, took my car to the local muffler shop. They confirmed the code, removed the old sensor, put the new one in and cleared the code for $25. I though that was well worth my money. 200 miles later car runs much better and no check engine light glowing on the dash.....

-Dave

Current DD
1999 SC1 100,000

Kids car
1996 SL2 222,000

1999 SL 184,000
RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2008, 12:48 PM   #13
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Issue solved, took my car to the local muffler shop. They confirmed the code, removed the old sensor, put the new one in and cleared the code for $25. I though that was well worth my money.
You have a flair for understatement! If it's okay to ask, where in WI was this? It's been my experience that even the most reputable shops will do "free inspections", with the prospect of making money from a service, but anything beyond that, if it involves putting a car on a lift, it's $50 labor minimum.

'Course, I'm also curious as to what sort of mojo they used to remove a Wisconsin-welded (rusted) sensor so readily.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #14
dbaier

1996 SL2

A few notes about this. I went to NAPA bought the part, pulled the car up on the ramps, couldn't get enough leverage. I Called around found a place the would swap it out, no problem. I spoke to the guy that did it, and he said "it was one of the easier ones he has done". He test drove it and the code cleared it's self.

-Dave

Current DD
1999 SC1 100,000

Kids car
1996 SL2 222,000

1999 SL 184,000
RIP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!