SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 10-27-2020, 12:44 AM   #61
02 LW300
Advanced Member
02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold02 LW300 is a splendid one to behold

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: High engine fan speed in cold weather...a brief story...

Iac cannot control the idle speed. Can your code reader give you any readings on the iac position? If it is closing off the idle air bypass port Like it should and there are no vacuum leaks then the throttle plate is letting too much air by. I think 300,000 plus miles things might wear a little. There is a screw probably under a cap that will adjust the throttle plate. I would close the plate some but not enough to get sticky, and see if the idle control will actually work again. You might need to adjust the throttle position sensor also, but I can check. Some readjust with each key cycle.
2002 L200/5 loaded, coming attractions B207R and F40, Ion Redline axles will make this work.
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2020, 02:03 AM   #62
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
Iac cannot control the idle speed. Can your code reader give you any readings on the iac position?
I can't say with certainty, but I wouldn't expect that it does. It's an Innova 3030f, not a very high end reader at all although I do like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
If it is closing off the idle air bypass port Like it should and there are no vacuum leaks then the throttle plate is letting too much air by. I think 300,000 plus miles things might wear a little. There is a screw probably under a cap that will adjust the throttle plate. I would close the plate some but not enough to get sticky, and see if the idle control will actually work again. You might need to adjust the throttle position sensor also, but I can check. Some readjust with each key cycle.
I'll be on the look out for an adjustment of the throttle plate. I don't recall seeing anything like that when the throttle body was removed from the intake manifold, but since I wasn't looking for that it could easily have been missed. The other thing about this is just how intermittently the event arises. However, the idea that it may have something to do with the throttle plate has some merit as I see it. More often than not, this problem has occurred after very cold overnight temps. During more average overnight temps this was less common to nil. From about mid-April until last week there had been no irregularities whatsoever. Perhaps the cold temperatures caused some contraction in the metal and allowed for more air to pass by the plate. For the time being, it's just conjecture on my part. We'll see as we go along.
340,000 miles - Holy canolli!
Joe Biden for POTUS and Kamala Harris for VEEP. What follows if they get their way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:30 PM   #63
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I think you can determine operating temperatures by creating an artificial error - disconnecting a sensor triggering the OBD II self diagnostics into capturing data. Choose a readily accessible sensor, have the engine fully warmed and disconnect a sensor. The check engine light should turn on and capture freeze frame data including coolant temps. Since you know which sensor (tps, iacv, map, etc) is disconnected, the error code should display the appropriate sensor error code. Download this captured data and see what coolant temps are. Reconnect the sensor and either let the OBD II system reset the check engine light or manually reset the error.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 03:42 AM   #64
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Ah, fdryer, what a fine idea. The logic seems quite reasonable and the effort to attempt it is minimal. I like it! Thank you, my friend!!
340,000 miles - Holy canolli!
Joe Biden for POTUS and Kamala Harris for VEEP. What follows if they get their way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote