SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 08-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #1
johnny3336
johnny3336 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Question HELP! Rear axle nut fail (Motor free spins)

I have a 95 SL2 that is having ABS problems. The ABS and Brake light come on after about 20 feet. The code I came up with is #51. It says "Rear axle nut fail (Motor free spins)". What the heck does that mean. I have had no luck finding anything out on the internet and don't want to waste money on the wrong parts. According to my scanner (the brick) all the wheel sensors are working as I can drive and watch the wheel speed data. So what else is the problem if all the sensors are working? HELP!
John
johnny3336@yahoo.com
johnny3336 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #2
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1
Default Re: HELP! Rear axle nut fail (Motor free spins)

Sorry, I don't know the answer, but I woudln't spend a dime on ABS on a 12 year old car.
Just use electrical tape over the light.

Been that way on my boneville for 5 years...
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #3
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

^^^ Only problem with that is that the brake hydraulic failure warning light is on as well, and if there were an actual brake hydraulic failure, the driver would never know it. That's, well, a Bad Thing (tm) .

Speaking of whic, since the brake hydraulic failure warning light is on, have you checked the hydraulics, including the brake fluid level?
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
Paperboy
Paperboy is on a distinguished road

Just poking around google...and found:

http://www.motorage.com/motorage/art....jsp?id=257319
This system has the master cylinder-mounted ABS unit. Within the past couple of months I have found three vehicles that had the exact same fault. The stored fault codes were DTC 51 (rear motor free spins) and DTC 86 (EBCM turned on/red brake warning light). What I have found is that in the rear pump motor-driven gear, the nut comes loose and the gear drops down, not allowing the rear pump motor drive gear to make contact.

http://translate.google.com/translat...3DcIV%26sa%3DG
(Translated from chinese)
51 Customer AXLE NUT FAIL (MOTOR FREE SPINS) as meaning that after the motor or gear axle nut slippery, leading to a free motor rotation. This triggered fault codes set up for two reasons : ABS computer damage, the sensor signal errors, electrical motors below the loose nut or gear skid.
94 SW2, Manual
111,000 miles
Paperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 12:31 AM   #5
orion-95
orion-95 is a jewel in the roughorion-95 is a jewel in the roughorion-95 is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

hi guys i got a abs code on my 1995 sc2 and traced it down to the drive gear fallen off the abs pump module. i recorded a video to YouTube on the common problem for that specific code. hope this helps other future people. also MY symptom's of the problem was stiff brake pedal. no abs. and only front brakes abs & Brake warning lamp on. unfortunately this code can only be retrieved by a professional grade code scanner that is compatible with the OBD1 systems.

https://youtu.be/drX18DkVg-8
orion-95 is offline   Reply With Quote